View Single Post
      09-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #369
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am 100% sure that is will meet the regulations, that was never in doubt. It's just that everyone is going to be down around the 230g/km mark in the next 2 or so years and if the RS5 is miles away from that then it's sales will suffer.

My point was that the internals are more than up to the job, in fact the engine has been tested in a TT with 600hp without any dire problems. It's never going to replace a V8, V10 or V12 because there will always be a market for these engines, though I reckon it's for cars more exotic than either an M3 or RS5.

Everyone here is in agreement that weight is king, especially around the nose and this is even more true for Audis than anything else. I can't remember the figures but I think the complete R5 engine is about 50kgs lighter than the v8. That's a huge figure and goes a long way to curing Audi's weight distribution and thus improving it front-end bite and steering feel. It's this first couple of seconds of turn-in that Audis suffer most, it's where understeer happens, once the car is settled it's grip and traction is undeniable and it pulls round the rest of the corner with the best of them.

I would lay any money down that if Audi fitted this engine under it's nose it would be the best car they had ever produced, better even than the R8 and I say that because I am in no doubt the torsen quattro system is far superior than the system used in the R8 and Gallardo.

But enough about Audi, we are here to discuss the next M3.
Agreed weight is king!!! Of course, everything else equal.