04-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners
For real M owners, the M badge should not be on anything but an M car. We all paid for that badge. M235i is fine. But not the three color M badge.
Sure I personally think that there are certain "M" cars now that don't really fit the established M mold, but I don't get all dogmatic about it. After all, there are people who like older M cars and claim that newer M cars aren't real M cars too because they're heavy/V8/AWD/turbo/too comfy/whatever. But that's a meaningless assertion anyway, as discussed in the "Myth of the real M car" article -- and that article doesn't even cover cars like the 1M or X5M.

I actually paid for the car's performance at the track and enjoyment on the road, not the badge. The badge can go where it wants; I just want (and know I have) a car with a certain performance and enjoyment profile. I guess I'm not a real M owner. I never realized that the real owners were the ones who paid up just to have a badge so they could claim to be real M owners. No wonder those real M owners feel threatened that the badge is now being applied to less expensive cars. I'm sure glad that I as an apparent poser M owner don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0