08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I'll add to this thread that my st60 pads also fit very tightly like you are describing, but they have loosened up after a couple years of use and probably 30+ pad changes. While I applaud stoptech for sending you a new caliper, I personally wouldn't want to be bothered with installing them. Just file down the pads or the abutment plates in the caliper and be done with it.
I was thinking about that, but one of the attractions of this setup was quick and easy pad swaps, and if I have to pull the wheels off just to test fit new pads whenever I buy them, then likely find a metal grinder or spend a LOT of time with a manual file to get them down to spec before I can keep them handy knowing they're usable, that erodes a lot of the convenience aspect -- especially since the only metal grinder I know about is the one at the indy shop I use, and asking them to grind down new pads all the time eliminates much of the savings of doing my own pad swaps. And 30+ pad changes over a couple years seems like a long time to wait before a fairly expensive product starts to perform as advertised IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I'm with you. Apparently the new calipers I had were made with the same slightly "off" abutment plates. I unscrewed them and flattened them out and they're fine. No problems.

Despite this manufacturing glitch, Stoptech produces top quality products. They make the pads a little "tight" to control noise and it's a strategy that works.
I understand and respect the strategy, but I think the execution is lacking here. I'm glad you were able to solve the issue you were having, but the description makes me think our issues are somewhat different. In my case the pads aren't getting stuck partway into the caliper; they can't even enter the caliper at all, even if they were hammered. The abutment plates don't appear bent on the side closest to the caliper bridge; it just looks like the opening isn't tall enough. At the moment I'm still waiting for StopTech to send me the replacement set of pads they promised and didn't include with the calipers so that I can see whether these new calipers exhibit the same behavior on a set of unaltered pads; both my currently installed pads and race pads were filed down to fit my existing calipers, so they wouldn't be a good test to see whether the new calipers have actually solved anything.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 08-26-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0