View Single Post
      08-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #39
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
PS: FWIW, I run advanced/open passing and instruct beginners.
In this case, I think you will definitely appreciate being able to independently adjust compression and rebound. It's really not that hard assuming you can drive more or less consistently and feel the car. I can send you an adjustment flow chart from Allan Staniforth's "Competition Car Suspension".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I think there is a reason nobody has ever posted a lap time comparison between good track-oriented coilovers and their more expensive competitors.
As an mechanical engineer I try to quantify and test the performance improvement of every modification I buy. However, the challenge is that it takes a lot of money and time to do it.

You need access to a race track under similar if not the same conditions, the tools/equipment to swap parts, a pro/advanced driver who can run consistent lap times, and data logging devices. I did it with my KW Competition here, but it took a ton of time and money.

Plus, many people who modify their cars 'for performance' never drive consistently enough to appreciate the real difference anyway. Some never even see the race track. All you get these days is seat of the pants feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I'm very pleased with my KW CS, and would be shocked if JRZ's are more than a couple of tenths faster if at all. From what I understand, the biggest actual difference between the really high end stuff and the assembly line stuff is the difference adjustments make. I do think that JRZ or whatever would respond more to rebound/comp adjustments, which is worth something. Whether that's worth the price increase is a personal choice; it isn't worth it for me.
In terms of the JRZ, if it is anything similar to the typical JRZ/Moton racing dampers, I think it may perform better on very bumpy tracks/roads because you can adjust high-speed compression, which KW's 2-way can't do. Nonetheless, KW Clubsport's high-speed damping is tuned based largely on testing/simulation at the Nürburgring, which is a bumpy track to begin with.
Appreciate 0