01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #1999
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
the NA motor that was looked at by myself and our guys did not show the detonation. Some of the SC engines I am sure probably do, havent looked at them so your blanket first statement is false.
Your examination of a single engine without any sign of detonation was clearly used to argue that detonation was not at all a possible contributing factor to this overall situation. Now whether you specifically stated or implied this, I won't reserach or dwell on.

Quote:
We all knew what they are gaining but there is a line of what are we getting vs what are we giving up.
I asked repeatedly of the readers here to provide the advantages from tighter clearances and aside from a (marginally) quieter engine not a single benefit was brought up.

Quote:
What we gave up is huge because the pictures of failures and bearings that are beat out just keep piling up.
Are any of this "vast" numbers of failures making into the "database" here on this forum? The worst case scenario there indicates a 0.1%-0.5% failure rate. This range attempts to account for most of the non forum reported cases. The "math" is very approxximate but still a reasonable estimate. This problem just isn't the massive tragedy it has been made out to be.

Quote:
Ask yourself this....
When we bought the car they told us up front before the paperwork was signed that many cars would not make it to 100k miles without blowing the bottom end out would you still have bought it?
I try to react and make decisions based on real numbers (usually statistics and often uncertain, but based on the above % my answer is simply, yes.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0