08-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranzabal View Post
Wow thanks for writing all of that. Seriously I keep trying to read as much as I can but it becomes so different when I'm actually driving the car. I almost wish I could have someone ride with me and critique me.

I did notice that the later I shift the easier it is. That problably relates to the fact that I get abou 12.5 mpg so far... As for your comment about second gear, I do try to ease into it but it still jerks from time to time. I can finally sihft smoothly from 2nd to 3rd and all the way to 6th but I have a hard time going from 1st to 2nd as well as downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

I'm about to leave work and drive the M3 so I'll try to adjust the power button and see how it affects my shifting. I've been using Sport Plus so that could be causing some of the jerkiness. I'll update you on how it feels.
Yeah 2nd gear is a common critique of this car. However, one tip I got that really helped me refine my technique more quickly is to pay attention to the TYPE of jerkiness you experience. If the car dives forward and your body goes forward when you engage the clutch, you either took too long to shift and/or didn't have enough throttle going when you engaged the clutch (common mistake upshifting into 2nd in this car). If your car squats in the back and pushes you into the seat, it means you had too much throttle input. Believe me, I know that reading is no substitute for driving because I did a ton of reading myself, but once you learn to distinguish between the different feedback you're getting from the car, you'll adjust accordingly and eventually it will just become rhythm for you. Good luck!

P.S. I see you're in Houston; if you ever have reason to drive up to Austin I'd be happy to ride along if you'd like.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0