Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired78 View Post
how common are diff issues? I've seen some posts, but hard to quantify
my 09 e92 m3 6mt is having some worbling happening at 2k rpm. my indy shop has narrowed it down to the diff. they want to have the diff pulled and sent out to have the center bearing replaced, and to replace the bushings during the process.

current estimate is $2.3k to do all this... they just replaced my 2 rear wheel bearings as we chased down the noises on this car...

im not trying to keep chasing stuff $2k at a time. its insanity.
Should be easy enough for any mechanic to determine if the noise is coming from the diff itself, bung the car up on the lift with someone in it. Start it up, and run it up to 2k rpm in 4th gear, then have a mechanic listen to the diff with a stethoscope, or by putting thier ear to a long screwdriver touching the diff casing at various points. Watch out for spinning things!!!

If the diff or one of it's bearings is noisy you'll hear it more loudly at the diff, than say at the rear hubs. If it's bad you'll feel the vibrations with the screwdriver method! (That's why I use that method). You can do this with the ctr prop (drive) shaft bearing too.