BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Argghhhh! The Glen!

Went to a 2-day HPDE event at Watkins Glen last weekend with NASA/PDA. I was looking forward to it as a nice bookend since my first event of the season was at the Glen back in May, also with NASA. It was in the 40s and rainy back then.

The weather up there had been sunny and nice for the two weeks prior, and then the cold temps and rain hit starting the middle of last week. Once again, 45-50 degrees and rain, but even worse...unbelievable fog. It was crazy. I shuttled back and forth between the hotel down in town and the track, which is just a few miles away but 1000ft higher in altitude. It would be clear in town, so I'd shoot up to the track, but about a quarter of a mile away you'd see the fog just clinging to the track like a leech. Run groups would stand by for a clearing; it would be good for a half an hour or so, and then pea soup again. At least by Sunday afternoon it was totally clear and the track mostly dry. The remaining wet spot was at the apex of the heel of the boot--made for an interesting time tracking out on tip-toes.

All told, I only got to run 2 out of 8 sessions, and those were abbreviated. I'd just be getting into a groove, and they'd throw the checker. There was also a NASA race going on that weekend. Total tally from what I saw was a wrecked Viper, a dented raced-out Subaru STi, and two smashed E30 BMW race cars.

Next time, it's got to be July or August...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I was there on Sat. I was trying to save my Hoosier rains for the race on Sunday, so I went out on full tread NT01s on Sat. I was thinking they'd have enough of an open tread. Bad call. The car danced around plenty. Almost earned my blue stripes at the Glen at the end of the main straight--and I tought I was taking it easy--so I came in. Yeah, one of the Spec E30s was mashed up pretty bad. I headed back home after not being able to drive much due to the fog on Sat thinking Sun would be more of the same. I heard it cleared up in the afternoon...
      10-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good info on the NT01s--I decided to leave my street/daily driver Michelin Super Sports on, and it looks like that was a good decision. Unfortunately, I didn't have a garage slot, and it was too windy to set up my little tent, and I didn't have a tarp, so my Nittos sat outside in the rain in their TireRack totes, getting soaked. I threw them back in the car on Saturday afternoon and headed to the hotel, where I snuck them in a side entrance to dry out in my room. Front desk didn't see it, but I got a few funny looks from fellow guests...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I was there in April and couldn't believe how windy and cold it gets up there. Love the wheels by the way.

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Too bad about the weather - awesome track. Instructed 4 days this year - We did the short track for a half day as well. I was lucky though - all 4 days was great weather, although maybe a little hot!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Too bad about the fog. I had a rainy weekend late spring at Hastings, which at the time was a bit disappointing but in hindsight was actually great. We didn't have visibility issues, so we ran all sessions. But the opportunity to run on such a slick surface was invaluable. It really forced you to be as smooth as possible.

Love the wheels, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
I was there in April and couldn't believe how windy and cold it gets up there. Love the wheels by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Too bad about the fog. I had a rainy weekend late spring at Hastings, which at the time was a bit disappointing but in hindsight was actually great. We didn't have visibility issues, so we ran all sessions. But the opportunity to run on such a slick surface was invaluable. It really forced you to be as smooth as possible.

Love the wheels, too.
Thanks for the thumbs up on the wheels. It was a bit of an experiment--I decided to use my stock ZCP wheels for winter and was looking for a summer wheel to use with Michelin Super Sports. Got these OEM GTS wheels from Turner for a good price, and they seem to be holding up well given the awful roads we have around here in the NYC burbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Too bad.
I was there the weekend before with the gvc BMW cca and the weather was great.

Luck of the draw.
Appreciate 0