BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
Robwe46m3
Banned
Canada
13
Rep
193
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 Ruby Blk M3 Individua
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2010 Olymipiads

iTrader: (0)

To OP why not just get Gintani or ESS Kit?


To Eugene-Taiwan: You visited Gintani. Praised them. Then went with G-Power? Why sell so soon?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #24
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
414
Rep
8,828
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastE93 View Post
LOL gimme a break its not like drilling your engine block. Putting a supercharger on your car is a lil too invasive if thats the case!
Still, having a connection between the S/C oil circuit and the engine circuit sounds like a bad idea.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #25
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
87
Rep
1,067
Posts


Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Still, having a connection between the S/C oil circuit and the engine circuit sounds like a bad idea.
Then maybe we should start telling OEM manufacturers they don't know what they are doing.

A big fuss about nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Ca$hOnly
Major
Ca$hOnly's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
1,078
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In ur fridge, eatin ur foodz

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwe46m3 View Post
To OP why not just get Gintani or ESS Kit?


To Eugene-Taiwan: You visited Gintani. Praised them. Then went with G-Power? Why sell so soon?
I'm pretty sure he bought G-Power, then visited Gintani and is now selling his G-power kit and Akra exhaust. My guess he's getting their stuff.

This is just a guess obv.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
414
Rep
8,828
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Then maybe we should start telling OEM manufacturers they don't know what they are doing.

A big fuss about nothing.
Hey, vendor, just that you are selling your kit here and paying vendor fees doesn't mean that you can open your loud mouth however which way you like it. Play nice in the kiddy sand box, please. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I do.

1. OEM manufacturers can do whatever they do on their s/c kit design, as long as it works and delivers the power promised. Coming from a Evosport Stage 2 W211 E55 AMG, I'm fairly familiar how s/c works. There's a fair amount of R&D put in by AMG to slap that roots type blower onto the M113. If there's a design error that lead to failure, I can expect the engine to be rebuilt / replaced and still maintain factory warranty. Can you say that for an aftermarket s/c kit? I knew what happened with the cars in the US that were running the prototype G-Power kit, but what if something similar happened to all the G-Power s/c'ed cars? Will they simply replace every engine or will they simply fold their business and start over? I don't think I have a good answer for that one.

2. If you would pull your head out of the G-Power sand box, you can see that the "three-letter" kit (to not stir the pot more) has a separate cooling circuit and runs just as good. Also, it doesn't require cutting up your cars front end to fit the cooling circuit like the G-power kit. This makes your their setup fully reversible in a short period of time. How long does it take to reverse a G-Power kit?

If I were to design an aftermarket s/c kit, I would have separate cooling / oil circuit for the s/c and try not to modify any structural parts of the car to maintain full reversibility and to minimize the damage to the engine if it ultimately failed. That means, only a pulley and belt to the charger, and the intake from the s/c to the manifold. But, hey, what do I know? I'm not even that good with math to start with.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hey, vendor, just that you are selling your kit here and paying vendor fees doesn't mean that you can open your loud mouth however which way you like it. Play nice in the kiddy sand box, please. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I do.
.
Over react much? He made a simple statement. Nothing provocative or abusive/rude about it.
If this is how "friendly interns" react and speak to people I'd hate to meet the angry ones
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
414
Rep
8,828
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Over react much? He made a simple statement. Nothing provocative or abusive/rude about it.
If this is how "friendly interns" react and speak to people I'd hate to meet the angry ones
Just stating how I perceived it. With aftermarket parts, often less is more.

Also, people who've met me in person find me very easy to deal with. It's just that sometimes vendors on the forums will say anything to try to make a quick sale. That's what really bothers me.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #30
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
58
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

iTrader: (4)

wait you had one and when you were selling it praised how good it was now you say it is suicide?? i don't get it, what happened??

not that i would ever buy one but curious. please explain if it is something bad you could save this guy his money

i mean just there orig engines blowing up are enough for me to stay away. i know they fixed them and what not but a real good company would have never released something like that without doing proper R&D. if proper R&D was done then they would have realized the ECU tune was bad and could have saved a bunch of people the problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #31
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Just stating how I perceived it. With aftermarket parts, often less is more.

Also, people who've met me in person find me very easy to deal with. It's just that sometimes vendors on the forums will say anything to try to make a quick sale. That's what really bothers me.
I'm sure you are. I was just pointing out the response was a little over the top and clearly abusive considering what he had said. I don't know what's gone on in the past between you both. Just giving the outside view of how it looked.

Have you had a bad G-Power experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #32
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
87
Rep
1,067
Posts


Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hey, vendor, just that you are selling your kit here and paying vendor fees doesn't mean that you can open your loud mouth however which way you like it. Play nice in the kiddy sand box, please. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I do.

1. OEM manufacturers can do whatever they do on their s/c kit design, as long as it works and delivers the power promised. Coming from a Evosport Stage 2 W211 E55 AMG, I'm fairly familiar how s/c works. There's a fair amount of R&D put in by AMG to slap that roots type blower onto the M113. If there's a design error that lead to failure, I can expect the engine to be rebuilt / replaced and still maintain factory warranty. Can you say that for an aftermarket s/c kit? I knew what happened with the cars in the US that were running the prototype G-Power kit, but what if something similar happened to all the G-Power s/c'ed cars? Will they simply replace every engine or will they simply fold their business and start over? I don't think I have a good answer for that one.

2. If you would pull your head out of the G-Power sand box, you can see that the "three-letter" kit (to not stir the pot more) has a separate cooling circuit and runs just as good. Also, it doesn't require cutting up your cars front end to fit the cooling circuit like the G-power kit. This makes your their setup fully reversible in a short period of time. How long does it take to reverse a G-Power kit?

If I were to design an aftermarket s/c kit, I would have separate cooling / oil circuit for the s/c and try not to modify any structural parts of the car to maintain full reversibility and to minimize the damage to the engine if it ultimately failed. That means, only a pulley and belt to the charger, and the intake from the s/c to the manifold. But, hey, what do I know? I'm not even that good with math to start with.
I'm sorry if I offended but I really do think your over reacting a little. I'm not being rude and I certainly don't have a big mouth!
Being a vendor does not give us any special powers, I cannot see where this is coming from.

It is a bit of a fuss created about one simply hole in a cam cover. I am simply voicing my opinion on this and you have to admit, sometimes the smallest things get blown out of proportion.

We supply both G-Power and ESS kits. I just happen to think the G-Power is incredibly well engineered and built. You would probably think similarly if you were in our position. I've not seen an ESS kit yet so will not comment on it.

If you think the G-Power is not something you like because of the reasons you mention then there is nothing wrong with voicing it. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Let's just not make such a fuss about insignificant things and play nice.

No hard feelings I hope, we are all adults.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #33
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
414
Rep
8,828
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
I'm sure you are. I was just pointing out the response was a little over the top and clearly abusive considering what he had said. I don't know what's gone on in the past between you both. Just giving the outside view of how it looked.

Have you had a bad G-Power experience?
I have no meat with Evolve, none-what-so-ever, so I don't understand how you gauge the "abusive" nature of said comments. Sal@Evolve is suggesting that we should tell OEM how to design their kit. Of course, OEM manufacturers can design their kit any way they see fit to their application. However, we are talking about an aftermarket tuner with a sample size that is fairly limited. I don't even know how much R&D they have put into the kit (as noticed by the two prototypes with the mishaps in California). How can one safely equate an aftermarket tuner to a car manufacturer is beyond me.

My only dealings with G-Power was directly with their mothership in Germany. A friend of mine owns a supercharger kit for the V10 engine and was having some troubles with with pulley and belt. Those were fixed eventually but getting a hold of someone on that side of the pond that speaks decent English was tough. I ended up asking my college roommate to call them up and get the belt / pulley expedited.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #34
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
87
Rep
1,067
Posts


Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
wait you had one and when you were selling it praised how good it was now you say it is suicide?? i don't get it, what happened??

not that i would ever buy one but curious. please explain if it is something bad you could save this guy his money

i mean just there orig engines blowing up are enough for me to stay away. i know they fixed them and what not but a real good company would have never released something like that without doing proper R&D. if proper R&D was done then they would have realized the ECU tune was bad and could have saved a bunch of people the problems
Too much was hidden about why these motors blew. This is a hard fact.

It's funny how the kits we did never had anything go wrong with them even on 91 gas and countless repeated dyno runs.

Anyway, that's dead and buried now and we saw that G-Power fixed the cars. This in turn actually attracted more people to go ahead as they knew if there was a problem G-Power would not turn their back on them. We have two customers wanting to go ahead and will only fit G-Power based on this one fact.

Last edited by Sales@Evolve; 03-15-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #35
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
414
Rep
8,828
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
I'm sorry if I offended but I really do think your over reacting a little. I'm not being rude and I certainly don't have a big mouth!
Being a vendor does not give us any special powers, I cannot see where this is coming from.

It is a bit of a fuss created about one simply hole in a cam cover. I am simply voicing my opinion on this and you have to admit, sometimes the smallest things get blown out of proportion.

We supply both G-Power and ESS kits. I just happen to think the G-Power is incredibly well engineered and built. You would probably think similarly if you were in our position. I've not seen an ESS kit yet so will not comment on it.

If you think the G-Power is not something you like because of the reasons you mention then there is nothing wrong with voicing it. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Let's just not make such a fuss about insignificant things and play nice.

No hard feelings I hope, we are all adults.
Certainly no hard feelings and I apologize if I sounded over the top. It's been a problem of mine lately on the forums.

I think the G-Power kit is a very well thought-out kit, especially with the way their intake / air filter is positioned compared to the ESS kit (I like it higher, and that CF airbox is definitely a nice visual touch). However, the execution of the kit is a little awkward and a little too invasive for something aftermarket. Drilling into the cam cover is ok with me since it's easily replaceable. However, I'm worried how the engine's oil system is linked to the supercharger's system. With no actual dipstick, it'd be a risk that I don't want to take. Also, it's weird that they decided to cut that metal piece up front. I'm sure that serves some purpose during a collision as structural reinforcement. Cutting it just makes me feel uneasy.

I have a friend who had the M6 Hurricane kit. To have both supercharger timed right to work in synchrony is no small feat. AFAIK, that kit does not require any cutting of the body part to fit the kit. Of course, it's a much bigger engine bay to work with as well. That car pulled like a m----effing freight train on I-90 and the exhaust note with the Evosport headers + pipes + Eisenmann exhaust is just intoxicating. To hear the sound bouncing off the Ted Williams tunnel / Big Dig gives me the chills.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
87
Rep
1,067
Posts


Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Forums can definately an effect. I recommend some herbal tea and a break before replying

There are always things people will and will not like about certain setups.

The ASA Superchargers are used by many companies in the same way (inc OEM) and the oil issue is not really one that is something to worry about. OEM are very anal about oil.

The front mount intercooler is incredibly efficient and the M3 engine just doesn't get very hot at all. On the first kit we did, the owner asked us to test the engine throughly to make sure everything was reliable. We tested it alright! Some very high speed runs and repeated dyno runs with the fan moved right back. Even after 30 dyno pulls one after the other, you put your hand one the inlet and outlet intercooler pipes and one side (inlet manifold intake) remained cold!

Charge temps are impressively low.

Given the efficiency of the whole system I think it was a good move to go FMIC.

That car is now taken care of by a BMW dealer who wish they could resell the kit!

When the front panel is cut, not as much matarial as you may think actually has to come away. The panel goes quite deep and it's by no way cut anywhere near all the way.

M6 Hurricaine is something we all want to experience. I may take a flight to Germany very soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #37
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
Taiwan
234
Rep
3,158
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwe46m3 View Post
To OP why not just get Gintani or ESS Kit?


To Eugene-Taiwan: You visited Gintani. Praised them. Then went with G-Power? Why sell so soon?
Well I bought the kit before going to LA.

I was there just on a business trip and thought I'd drop by Gintani

I was impressed with Gintani of the software part of their kit.

Don't get me wrong I think the best looking is still GPwr but the Gintani get the overall best!
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #38
808E90
808E90
808E90's Avatar
United_States
207
Rep
4,051
Posts

Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aloha State

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
I'm pretty sure he bought G-Power, then visited Gintani and is now selling his G-power kit and Akra exhaust. My guess he's getting their stuff.

This is just a guess obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Well I bought the kit before going to LA.

I was there just on a business trip and thought I'd drop by Gintani

I was impressed with Gintani of the software part of their kit.

Don't get me wrong I think the best looking is still GPwr but the Gintani get the overall best!
You still didn't answer the question


... Just messing with you mang!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #39
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
Taiwan
234
Rep
3,158
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
You still didn't answer the question


... Just messing with you mang!!
you why selling it?

Well Gintani Stage 3 seems very interesting.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #40
Robwe46m3
Banned
Canada
13
Rep
193
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 Ruby Blk M3 Individua
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2010 Olymipiads

iTrader: (0)

If you were impressed with Gintani to the point you want their system why not hold off on the G-Power installation?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #41
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
United_States
302
Rep
1,814
Posts

Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

iTrader: (1)

sounds like an interrogation!
__________________
17' M2 DCT - KW CS - Re71r - Carbotech
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #42
e.n335
Moderator
e.n335's Avatar
Austria
233
Rep
4,481
Posts

Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

iTrader: (0)

this thread brings to my mind that we are in a very early stage of supercharging the S65 ... props to the cutting-edge forum members here
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #43
E92MMMTHREE
Banned
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

freedom of choice baby
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #44
Robwe46m3
Banned
Canada
13
Rep
193
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 Ruby Blk M3 Individua
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2010 Olymipiads

iTrader: (0)

No Shit! That's why people here like me who are debating which kit to get (Gintani or ESS) want to hear from others' experiences. I find it odd Eugene visited Gintani was impressed but still installed G-Power. This leads me to think G-Power is crap. It leads me to believe it was installed because it was aesthetically appealing but did not perform up to par. Tightie got rid of his and now Eugene. That's 2 G-Power owners who gave up on this kit. Neither of them bad-mouthed the kit because they were/ are trying to sell it. On this forum ! To date, nobody here has installed then removed Gintani or ESS SC Kit. Hmmmm I don't think Eugene needs the dough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
this thread brings to my mind that we are in a very early stage of supercharging the S65 ... props to the cutting-edge forum members here

Last edited by Robwe46m3; 03-16-2010 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST