BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

10-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #1
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

G87 M2 vs G82 M4

Same engine, probably detuned. I kind of like the design after seeing what the production model will look like vs the leaked photos.

I like that it is smaller like the M3's in the past like the E46, looks like it is 3700lbs though, that is near the G82 weight. The only thing I still don't like is the rear. Maybe it will be better in person like the G8X front end.

It is built in Mexico, I am pretty sure a bunch of people will not like that. It doesn't bother me at all as it is the manufacturing process that is important, not where it is built.
Appreciate 2
6speed_M23633.50
reNT265.50
      10-12-2022, 03:18 AM   #2
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
It's definitely an interesting comparison.

For some the build location could play a factor, as well as the looks.

Personally, I think it's a great comparison aside from those two factors I stated above.

The M2 costs a considerable amount less to start. It weighs less & for those who like the remove weight on top of it, it'll help with that process.

I also am not a huge fan on the size of the M4. It's annoying to get in and out of & it is a little big, although it is comfy once you're inside. I think the M2 would have better driver ergonomics and better usage for track driving. Aside from the xDrive being missing (for now?) it's a more affordable & slightly lighter/smaller M4 (sort of).

For the last gen, I would've picked the M4. For this gen, I would go M2. Even though the looks on the rear are not as nice.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 03:36 AM   #3
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
It's definitely an interesting comparison.

For some the build location could play a factor, as well as the looks.

Personally, I think it's a great comparison aside from those two factors I stated above.

The M2 costs a considerable amount less to start. It weighs less & for those who like the remove weight on top of it, it'll help with that process.

I also am not a huge fan on the size of the M4. It's annoying to get in and out of & it is a little big, although it is comfy once you're inside. I think the M2 would have better driver ergonomics and better usage for track driving. Aside from the xDrive being missing (for now?) it's a more affordable & slightly lighter/smaller M4 (sort of).

For the last gen, I would've picked the M4. For this gen, I would go M2. Even though the looks on the rear are not as nice.
Yeah, I think of it as a shorter wheelbase M4 with a little lower quality interior. I think the M2 interior is much better that the RS3 interior.

Gonna put my name on the list for the M2, gonna go manual this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
reNT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xDrive

The weight is actually 3814lbs. Too close to the M4 and you don't get AWD. But I still like the M2 and would strongly consider it if I didn't already have an m4.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My personal factors looking at the M2 6MT vs my current M3 6MT:

Size (weight is irrelevant as they are too close to each other):
I don't want to compromise my ability to carry three adult passengers, but if the only compromise is that the largest of my usual passengers couldn't sit in back, it isn't a big deal. I would need to bring a volunteer to come sit in back of a 2-series to check this.

Length-wise, I wouldn't mind having a shorter car for garage-space purposes. Coupe doors could be an issue due to the 530e I share the garage with. But, I'm used to my car's size so this isn't pulling me towards the M2.

The shorter wheelbase may be the most important handling change. I would expect that the car will feel more nimble in the curves, and a little less stable here and there vs. the M3. Wheelbase is what it is. The shorter wheelbase combined with the low clearance could cause me to again have issues with my stupid driveway.

Performance:
I honestly don't care much. Looking at the whole package, I'm expecting it to be very similar to my current car. The detune could most likely be resolved with a piggy-back or other very minor tune. Once its out of warranty, of course. I don't need my M3 to be any faster, and I can't imagine that I'd notice if the car is a tenth of a second slower in any particular statistic.

Looks:
It's hard for any of us with a current G8x to come down on the looks of any car without it coming off a bit strange. I like my car's appearance, but verbally slapping how anything else looks can come off like a pot/kettle situation. That being said, I would lean towards TR or BSM on this car as the lighter colors highlight the odd appearance, at least in pictures. Exterior looks are the 3rd most important factor for me when it comes to cars (Driving dynamics and interior stuff come first and second).

Price:
We'll have to wait and see what US prices look like. The UK configurator prices don't make it look terribly attractive vs. what I paid for my car (at the lower-end of the range), but it may for those folk who spent more.

Why would I keep my current car?
I've had it for over 19 months, almost 11k miles, and I've had zero quality issues with it. That bodes well for long-term ownership. I leased the thing, and my residual isn't very high (again, my purchase price was on the lower-end of the scale). I plan on buying it out at the end of the lease and it will be vastly cheaper than buying a new M2, along with most other options.

Why wouldn't I keep my current car?
I would look to the M2 as a possibility if my current car shows signs of issues near to the end of the lease. Or if a dinosaur eats my car and I can't get another M3. It's not impossible that, given access to either an M3 or an M2, that I could decide in the moment to buy the M2 just to not buy the same car twice. I do, really, have a history of impulsive car decisions so who knows what would happen.

We'll all need to see the driving-based reviews to get a better idea of what the sum of the parts ends up equaling. For my vehicle use-case, I can't see replacing my M3 with the new M2, unless my M3 was no longer a functional vehicle.
Appreciate 3
JTO245276.00
g4ndr1k172.50
      10-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
mikewho_G82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82X

big fail how they are pretty much the same weight as the M3/M4s. weight is the same power should be about the same with a tune. so no real benefit from going with the M2 besides cost, it definitely doesn't look better.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

1 looks like shit from the front the other from the back. Pick your poison:-)😂😉🤣
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #8
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

M4 4 sho.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:36 PM   #9
Predatar
Private
Rep
Drives: G82X

M4 all the way if money is no consideration. The backseats are very spacious and actually useable if you need to seat a couple of people back there. The m2 seats, same as the current m240, are cramped. And you will get better performance as well.

However, the M2 is a great value for all the car you get for the price. A great offering in the full M line-up for sure. It will sell well, despite its grotesque appearance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 12:28 AM   #10
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Im fine with the looks and price is also bery reasonable.

However, I can’t Understand the weight figure.
According to bmw EU configurator it’s the same weight as an m3 or m4 and just 120lbs less than an m3 xDrive.

I find that a bit hard to believe but if true I would say it’s a bit to little power to weight to feel quick enough for my preferences.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 01:21 AM   #11
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Im fine with the looks and price is also bery reasonable.

However, I can’t Understand the weight figure.
According to bmw EU configurator it’s the same weight as an m3 or m4 and just 120lbs less than an m3 xDrive.

I find that a bit hard to believe but if true I would say it’s a bit to little power to weight to feel quick enough for my preferences.
Probably because it has a lot of the same components as the M3/4 and some cheaper components to keep some of the costs down.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #12
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I'm very happy with my G80, but I was hopeful the M2 would be a bit lighter. While I do like the M2 styling (for the most part) having the same drivetrain, better interior, bigger fuel tank, more storage and two extra doors; all while being essentially the same weight makes keeping the M3 a no-brainer for me. I still would like to drive one to see if drives differently than it seems it would on paper.

With that said, I did ask to be put on the list for an M2 CSL just in case... apparently I'm number one on that list at my dealer so we'll see what happens if/when that is announced.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
reNT265.50
      10-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #13
hori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT, F10 M5

My only vice with G82 M4 is grilles, but the M2 the front kinda ugly, side to kinda off and back kinda ugly. Seeing in person maybe different and in black.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #14
StudioRSR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: AW G82 RSR "TD4"

Glad to see this thread up already! We had the same thoughts comparing the platforms in our video below:

www.studiorsr.com | email: info@studiorsr.com | call: 1-844-991-5582| Instagram: @studiorsr| StudioRSR G8x M3/M4 YouTube videos
For updates on your order, please email updates@studiorsr.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #15
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MeraldCity_G82 View Post

Same engine, probably detuned. I kind of like the design after seeing what the production model will look like vs the leaked photos.

I like that it is smaller like the M3's in the past like the E46, looks like it is 3700lbs though, that is near the G82 weight. The only thing I still don't like is the rear. Maybe it will be better in person like the G8X front end.

It is built in Mexico, I am pretty sure a bunch of people will not like that. It doesn't bother me at all as it is the manufacturing process that is important, not where it is built.
The MiM thing… it doesn’t bother you at ALL?
Not even remotely?

Usually MiM items do lose some significant value on both first sale and resale. Whether or not they deserve that hit Idk, but it is real in many markets for different items. There is a perception that outside of tequila and some cerveza, MiM means less quality.

Frankly, I have no idea about this in relation to cars, but in guitars I think there is a case to be made that they are actually higher quality when they are MiUSA. The market price reflects that. Seems like BMW is not passing on any of those cost savings, whereas Fender (to continue the example) does.

Again, cars are not guitars but it is not totally irrelevant. If the cost of the car reflected even a small price reduction I think it’s a moot argument, but it doesn’t. It would matter to me. Not saying that would be the defining argument, but it’s not irrelevant either.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 06:15 AM   #16
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Usually MiM items do lose some significant value on both first sale and resale. Whether or not they deserve that hit Idk, but it is real in many markets for different items.
Interesting for me in Europe. Seems it's like "Made in [insert any Eastern European country]" is rated by customers here. I'm looking forward to the comments how seriously you guys and gals are taking that attribute.
Appreciate 0