BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Honda
Major
Honda's Avatar
220
Rep
1,416
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (22)

Auto Shipping companies

I will be moving from east coast to west coast and researching shipping vs selling/buying option.

My best option is to find cheap reliable company. I don't care if it is enclosed or open carrier as long as they don't have reputation of damaging cars while being transported. However, I know shipping from east to west is not going to be cheap.

Would anyone who have dealt with shipping companies before let me know what companies they have used?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
M__3__R__A__G__E
Captain
M__3__R__A__G__E's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP Manual
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Francisco, California

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Shipping something as expensive and delicate as your M3 is not something I would look at from a "what's cheapest" perspective. You want to ensure that your investment arrives safely and soundly at the destination with no hassles. I would contact JP Logistics & Motorsports. They are trusted to handle and transport some of the most expensive cars known to man. I know for a fact they would take perfect and meticulous care of transporting your M3 across the country.
__________________
BMW 2013 ///M3 E92
///M Power

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Honda
Major
Honda's Avatar
220
Rep
1,416
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Shipping something as expensive and delicate as your M3 is not something I would look at from a "what's cheapest" perspective. You want to ensure that your investment arrives safely and soundly at the destination with no hassles. I would contact JP Logistics & Motorsports. They are trusted to handle and transport some of the most expensive cars known to man. I know for a fact they would take perfect and meticulous care of transporting your M3 across the country.
I appreciate your opinion M3Rage. As much as I know M3 is expensive car to others, for me it is normal fun car that I like to drive. I also wouldn't also consider it an investment as it is a depreciating asset.

By all means I am not saying I will through my car anywhere for cheapest option, but in same time I am not looking to invest in 2k or even 1.5K for shipping a car. I would like something reasonable
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
61
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: IL

iTrader: (2)

Go to www.montway.com and you can get a shipping quote right away online without needing to talk to anyone. I've probably shipped about 5 cars or so now through them and have always had a decent experience. Keep in mind they are a freight forwarder, so they will contract your job with one of their contacts.

The prices are really reasonable based on the research I had done, if you are looking to find something more inexpensive then I would say try uship.com.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
69
Rep
535
Posts

Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

As of last Saturday I have finished up a third shipping experience with Bluestar Automovers.
All of the jobs have been flawless and on time, with good contact with the drivers. Rates have always been competitive.

http://www.bluestarautomovers.com/
1-877-445-2583
Yosi is the setup person I've always used.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
kb9uwu's Avatar
United_States
299
Rep
787
Posts

Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Buy me a one way plane ticket home and I'll gladly drive your car cross country
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
4,490
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Intercity Lines, Reliable Auto Transport, and JP Logistics are the most consistently recommended in the MANY threads that already exist on this subject and that would have turned up had you Googled "auto shipping site:m3post.com" or similar.

And yes, JP Logistics handled shipping for the most recent Gold Rush Rally on the leg of the trip that the participants took by plane. I watched them unload Aventadors, Veyrons, etc.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Honda
Major
Honda's Avatar
220
Rep
1,416
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Intercity Lines, Reliable Auto Transport, and JP Logistics are the most consistently recommended in the MANY threads that already exist on this subject and that would have turned up had you Googled "auto shipping site:m3post.com" or similar.

And yes, JP Logistics handled shipping for the most recent Gold Rush Rally on the leg of the trip that the participants took by plane. I watched them unload Aventadors, Veyrons, etc.
Yes, I've seen these threads and I agree that they are the most recommended here. But they are not cost effective for me. If I will pay 2k for shipping it, I am better off selling it and buying another one when I settle down
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
564
Rep
4,490
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Intercity Lines, Reliable Auto Transport, and JP Logistics are the most consistently recommended in the MANY threads that already exist on this subject and that would have turned up had you Googled "auto shipping site:m3post.com" or similar.

And yes, JP Logistics handled shipping for the most recent Gold Rush Rally on the leg of the trip that the participants took by plane. I watched them unload Aventadors, Veyrons, etc.
Yes, I've seen these threads and I agree that they are the most recommended here. But they are not cost effective for me. If I will pay 2k for shipping it, I am better off selling it and buying another one when I settle down
If $2K isn't cost-effective for you, then you're probably better off driving or else paying someone else to do so. The less reputable shipping companies subcontract out to God knows who and then it can become difficult to track your car, find out what's going on if they're late on pickup or delivery, or make a claim if there's an incident. But there's no logic whatsoever in your idea of selling locally and buying another one when you get where you're going. You're very unlikely to find the exact car you want if you're on any kind of timeframe, and even if you did, the chances of your total cost on that whole exercise being less than the marginal cost of a better shipping company are zero. Sales tax alone will likely be more than that assuming you're going somewhere that has it, and then there's PPI and registration costs and whatever maintenance might happen to be due on the next car. Unless of course you buy a lesser valued M3 the next time around.

But that said, if an extra $1K or so over what you would be willing to pay for shipping is a dealbreaker, make sure you never own an M3 out of warranty. And probably keep a close eye on your tire tread depth and rotor thickness so you can plan way ahead for those too....
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 12-09-2015 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Rajmun340
Major
Rajmun340's Avatar
335
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Buy me a one way plane ticket home and I'll gladly drive your car cross country
This. Just look up how much a one way flight ticket would cost you. I would buy a ticket and drive the car myself. The country can be crossed in 3 days stopping at hotels.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
M__3__R__A__G__E
Captain
M__3__R__A__G__E's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP Manual
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Francisco, California

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
I appreciate your opinion M3Rage. As much as I know M3 is expensive car to others, for me it is normal fun car that I like to drive. I also wouldn't also consider it an investment as it is a depreciating asset.

By all means I am not saying I will through my car anywhere for cheapest option, but in same time I am not looking to invest in 2k or even 1.5K for shipping a car. I would like something reasonable
I am not talking about the M3 as a typical investment that will yield you any sort of monetary profits. It was more along the lines of investing to have one of the best driving experiences out there for the money. If you aren't willing to spend around 2k for shipping then you are in for a world of trouble should there be an issue with a "cheaper" company. The reason JP Logistics is priced the way it is is because they own their own transportation fleet. They give you the white glove treatment when it comes to caring for and transporting your car meticulously. Cheaper options subcontract out to some of the most dodgy and unreliable companies to transport your car. They won't treat your car with care or respect and you will be stuck on the other end of the country not knowing where your car is, what condition it is in, and how it is being treated.

If you really are that concerned about spending 2K and you don't much care for keeping your car due to the particular specs it has, just sell it off and get a different one at your destination.
__________________
BMW 2013 ///M3 E92
///M Power

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
IIAp3x
Captain
IIAp3x's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Perdido Key, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
I will be moving from east coast to west coast and researching shipping vs selling/buying option.

My best option is to find cheap reliable company. I don't care if it is enclosed or open carrier as long as they don't have reputation of damaging cars while being transported. However, I know shipping from east to west is not going to be cheap.

Would anyone who have dealt with shipping companies before let me know what companies they have used?

Thanks
United Road Transport- special moves department... They are already a BMW certified carrier and they have the appropiate tie downs and hooks that are required by BMW manufacturing... Enclosed as well... Get ready to spend at least $1200 for coast to coast at a minimum and up to $2k...

If it were me, I'd drive the car or pay someone to drive it! Cheaper and safer... Good conditioning for the engine as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
92
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cbus, oh

iTrader: (1)

Bought and shipped an E36 M3 from Cali to Ohio for $750 with Quicken Auto Transport, PM for contact if you want. Also shipped one of my employees cars to San Antonio for $700 and shipped an E30 track project from AL to OH for $600. All without any issues. From my experience don't use an online broker, you will get harassed for months!
__________________
2008 E92 AW 6MT /// 120k orig rod bearings
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #14
Honda
Major
Honda's Avatar
220
Rep
1,416
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
United Road Transport- special moves department... They are already a BMW certified carrier and they have the appropiate tie downs and hooks that are required by BMW manufacturing... Enclosed as well... Get ready to spend at least $1200 for coast to coast at a minimum and up to $2k...

If it were me, I'd drive the car or pay someone to drive it! Cheaper and safer... Good conditioning for the engine as well...
How long does it take to drive from east to west considering I would drive only 10 to 12hrs a day?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:02 AM   #15
Efini
Silent Service
97
Rep
966
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

I am having a car shipped as we speak. i used uship and ended up going with montway. should be receiving the car by next tuesday. they were early on pickup and have been communicating with me very well. definitely check out montway.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
IIAp3x
Captain
IIAp3x's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Perdido Key, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
How long does it take to drive from east to west considering I would drive only 10 to 12hrs a day?
3 days at that rate... Try to put in 15 hours per day and make it an adventure! Do a fresh oil change if you are due soon for one before the trek... My car drank a whole liter of oil during my trip so carry a liter in the trunk... I would also change the intake air filter in your car if it is due before the trip, as your gas mileage will be significantly improved... I bought my E92 out of Denver and drove it home here to Gulf Breeze, fl without any problems in 2 days over 1500 miles... The cruise control on the e92 is one of the best I have operated, even at 140 mph, and it will save you gas by using it...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST