BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #2927
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Found out about an interesting product today that I wanted to share:

Was talking to Steve at EAS about my fire extinguisher. It's several years old now, and I figure I need to refresh or update it or something. He mentioned there's something out there that is cool: Element Fire Extinguishers.

It's around the size of a road flare, but even the small version puts out 5x the discharge time when compared to a traditional fire extinguisher. So, I bought one online. Really curious to see what it's like.

From their website:

Anyway, if you ever thought having a fire extinguisher was too big and too much hassles, this product may change your mind.

You can check it out here: Element Fire Extinguishers
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11487.00
      12-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #2928
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

Was talking to Steve at EAS about my fire extinguisher. It's several years old now, and I figure I need to refresh or update it or something. He mentioned there's something out there that is cool: Element Fire Extinguishers.

It's around the size of a road flare, but even the small version puts out 5x the discharge time when compared to a traditional fire extinguisher. So, I bought one online. Really curious to see what it's like.

From their website:

Anyway, if you ever thought having a fire extinguisher was too big and too much hassles, this product may change your mind.

Oh yeah, I've had one of those in each car a while.
I had to use one once to exhaust an out of control barbeque... which conveniently sits a few feet from a spare propane tank and 12 gallons of fuel. It works well
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #2929
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:

From their website:

Yes saw this product. Seems perfect for home use. Once you start it, it keeps going until its finished (which is a very long time). And it leaves no residue/mess unlike dry powder. But my concern for car use is that you can't stop it midway and wait to see if a fire reignites or pops up somewhere else. And the gas may not prevent reignition like a layer of dry powder does. But it's definitely better than no extinguisher and much smaller/lighter than a dry powder extinguisher with much more runtime.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #2930
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

>> powder. But my concern for car use is that you can't stop it midway and wait to see if a fire reignites or pops up somewhere else. And the gas may not prevent reignition like a layer of dry powder does.

Two units can solve that problem.
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      12-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #2931
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      12-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #2932
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Damn that's a really clean install. Can't get that with a big extinguisher.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 08:38 PM   #2933
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Damn that's a really clean install. Can't get that with a big extinguisher.
Thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #2934
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Glad you guys have had good experiences with this extinguisher.

Cool install TJ!
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #2935
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Glad you guys have had good experiences with this extinguisher.

Cool install TJ!
The goal is to never have any experience with any fire suppression system 😂
Appreciate 1
//steve\\1074.00
      12-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #2936
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:

From their website:
[IMG]http://www.epicscore.com/online/Element-Fire-Ext.jpg[/IMG]

Would this be standalone or complementary to a proper fire suppression system?
      12-15-2021, 09:13 PM   #2937
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
My current plan is just to run this for the time being. If I had a full fire suppression system, I could still see the benefit of something like this given how small it is. Could be handy for situations outside the car, even helping someone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #2938
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Mount up like ten elements around the car and rig up a daisy chained striker system. #Enginuty
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #2939
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
My current plan is just to run this for the time being. If I had a full fire suppression system, I could still see the benefit of something like this given how small it is. Could be handy for situations outside the car, even helping someone else.
Yeah, seems like something to have in every car given size and simplicity. Neat!
      12-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #2940
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, seems like something to have in every car given size and simplicity. Neat!
And not that expensive!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #2941
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

it's a pretty cool setup

This is a good review of it with wind where the caveat with the wind blowing away the gas.

Quote:
herbiesnerd
2 months ago (edited)
I’ve seen a couple other demo videos of this, and without wind present, it was just as quick as a small dry chem ABC extinguisher.

This video showed an obvious flaw, because the Element extinguishing agent is essentially a gas, wind is capable of blowing away the gas.

The captain had to lean over the flammable liquid, which nobody should ever do, even a firefighter wearing full PPE.

All that being said, the small Element has 50 seconds of extinguishing agent discharge time, compared to about 15 seconds for a dry chem. 50 seconds is more than enough time to overcome a light wind.

With heavy winds, it’s hard to put out anything, even with a fire hose.

I literally just learned about this extinguisher about 30 minutes ago. I’m buying 4 of them today, for all the cars at home.

I’m a retired firefighter, and I’m a pain in the ass pragmatic sceptic for anything new. Prove it to me, and after my initial resistance to change, I’m an advocate.
A very cool package.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:30 PM   #2942
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
it's a pretty cool setup

This is a good review of it with wind where the caveat with the wind blowing away the gas.

Quote:
herbiesnerd
2 months ago (edited)
I've seen a couple other demo videos of this, and without wind present, it was just as quick as a small dry chem ABC extinguisher.

This video showed an obvious flaw, because the Element extinguishing agent is essentially a gas, wind is capable of blowing away the gas.

The captain had to lean over the flammable liquid, which nobody should ever do, even a firefighter wearing full PPE.

All that being said, the small Element has 50 seconds of extinguishing agent discharge time, compared to about 15 seconds for a dry chem. 50 seconds is more than enough time to overcome a light wind.

With heavy winds, it's hard to put out anything, even with a fire hose.

I literally just learned about this extinguisher about 30 minutes ago. I'm buying 4 of them today, for all the cars at home.

I'm a retired firefighter, and I'm a pain in the ass pragmatic sceptic for anything new. Prove it to me, and after my initial resistance to change, I'm an advocate.
A very cool package.
I'm not fireman, but that wasn't a confidence inspiring video. Seems like a rad solution for something small at home that's already contained.

But for a race car? Suppression is to give you time to get out not save the car. This doesn't seem like it could do either.
      12-15-2021, 11:32 PM   #2943
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
it's a pretty cool setup

Quote:
herbiesnerd
2 months ago (edited)
I've seen a couple other demo videos of this, and without wind present, it was just as quick as a small dry chem ABC extinguisher.

I literally just learned about this extinguisher about 30 minutes ago. I'm buying 4 of them today, for all the cars at home.

I'm a retired firefighter, and I'm a pain in the ass pragmatic sceptic for anything new. Prove it to me, and after my initial resistance to change, I'm an advocate.
A very cool package.
I'm not fireman, but that wasn't a confidence inspiring video. Seems like a rad solution for something small at home that's already contained.

But for a race car? Suppression is to give you time to get out not save the car. This doesn't seem like it could do either.
With 50 seconds of gas, I think it can in a contained area like a cockpit.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:36 PM   #2944
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

The traditional one def looked better to my eyes haha.
      12-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #2945
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
it's a pretty cool setup

Quote:
herbiesnerd
2 months ago (edited)

A very cool package.

Clearly no worse and arguably better than a hand held (which is what's in my car), but idk.

High quality Novec system is $800 - $1400. Doesn't weigh much and could actually save your life. What if you're unconscious? Or broke your thumbs on the steering wheel, or something else prevents you from striking the striker?

I know it means nothing, but I'm now changing my mind. I think proper suppression is the right choice.
      12-15-2021, 11:45 PM   #2946
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
it's a pretty cool setup

Quote:
herbiesnerd
2 months ago (edited)

A very cool package.

Clearly no worse and arguably better than a hand held (which is what's in my car), but idk.

High quality Novec system is $800 - $1400. Doesn't weigh much and could actually save your life. What if you're unconscious? Or broke your thumbs on the steering wheel, or something else prevents you from striking the striker?

I know it means nothing, but I'm now changing my mind. I think proper suppression is the right choice.
If storage is an issue I can see this being a solution. It's not the best solution but it's better than nothing? 🤷🏻*♂️

It seems like a nice solution for a street car to carry though.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      12-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #2947
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Just to clarify, I’m not thinking this is a replacement for a full fire suppression system. But I do think it’s a viable alternative to a classic fire extinguisher which is all I’ve ever had in the car.
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      12-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #2948
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, I’m not thinking this is a replacement for a full fire suppression system. But I do think it’s a viable alternative to a classic fire extinguisher which is all I’ve ever had in the car.
I think its a great alternative and can be equivalent to that.
Appreciate 0