BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #2883
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Someone say smoked Turkey? I went a new route and spatchcocked it this year for the first time. Chickens are always awesome so why not, right?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Ah very nice! I recently watched a video on the spatchcock process. Not gonna go that route this year. Will try it with a chicken first at some point. (The cutting of the breast bone looks like some work.)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #2884
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Someone say smoked Turkey? I went a new route and spatchcocked it this year for the first time. Chickens are always awesome so why not, right?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Ah very nice! I recently watched a video on the spatchcock process. Not gonna go that route this year. Will try it with a chicken first at some point. (The cutting of the breast bone looks like some work.)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving indeed! They say once you go spatchcock, you never go back. I do chickens regularly this way. This was a first, and something I will do again with a Turkey. My only concern was of it would fit on the grill. Surface area wise I'm good to at least 17 lbs. I used to cook them inverted, which is also a solid way to smoke a Turkey. To each their own, but smoked Turkey will always be my favorite Turkey.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #2885
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
One small thing that got lost in the shifting shuffle—-the custom ear plugs. How did they do?

Round 1 of the ear plugs was a no-go. They just would not create a seal that would keep the noise out. They went into my ear canal fine. But they would just sit there and not seal. So, the engine noise was able to get past them.

The audiologist told me to report back if they didn’t work. I did. So I went back in to get molds again. So we’ll see how Round 2 goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #2886
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
One small thing that got lost in the shifting shuffle—-the custom ear plugs. How did they do?

Round 1 of the ear plugs was a no-go. They just would not create a seal that would keep the noise out. They went into my ear canal fine. But they would just sit there and not seal. So, the engine noise was able to get past them.

The audiologist told me to report back if they didn't work. I did. So I went back in to get molds again. So we'll see how Round 2 goes.
Mine seal just fine but don't provide as good as protection as the typical construction ear plugs. And now the S62 is straight piped so speak up if we meet in person 🤣
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      11-27-2021, 06:40 PM   #2887
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Mine seal just fine but don't provide as good as protection as the typical construction ear plugs. And now the S62 is straight piped so speak up if we meet in person 🤣
Ugh really? That's a bummer. Well, I will keep on the topic to see how good I can get them to fit. The audiologist says she knows the owner of the company that fabricates the ear plugs and his son does race car stuff, so she said she will tell them what I want to use them for and hopefully it will work out. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #2888
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Ugh really? That's a bummer. Well, I will keep on the topic to see how good I can get them to fit. The audiologist says she knows the owner of the company that fabricates the ear plugs and his son does race car stuff, so she said she will tell them what I want to use them for and hopefully it will work out. We'll see.
Yes. Hopefully it's satisfactory. I feel mine are tight enough but maybe I'll pay attention better. I'm guessing my car blows 102dbs
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #2889
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

is there a big step up from the molded plugs to the cheap foam plugs you roll up and stick in your ear? is it just a comfort thing, or do they have a greater sound reduction?
      11-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #2890
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
is there a big step up from the molded plugs to the cheap foam plugs you roll up and stick in your ear? is it just a comfort thing, or do they have a greater sound reduction?
The audiologist claimed that that custom ones reduced sound by 22db and the cheapy ones reduce by about 15db. In sound world, every 3db change is a doubling in sound intensity, so 7db is significant.

Aside from the supposed better sound blocking, the cheapy rubber ones I use can dislodge as I put the helmet on. The hope is the custom one will sit deeper and more securely.

Ah yes……we’ll see…..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      11-28-2021, 09:58 PM   #2891
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

interesting, thats good info. i was kinda thinking the cheap plugs might get squished out with a helmet. do you still hear enough to not loose the sensory input of hearing as you drive?
      11-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #2892
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

What helmet are you wearing? I moved to Stilo several years ago, and with the in-helmet com and the ear muffs, sound is greatly reduced, to the point that on grid, I usually revert to reading lips or have to make the person outside my window speak up.

Prior to that, I had several tries at custom buds. None of them reduced the sound enough, and a few of them even fell out during enduros (which is awesome when you are trying to talk to pit). The last time I wore them, I put them in and taped over them so they couldn't fall out
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      11-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #2893
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScheier View Post
What helmet are you wearing? I moved to Stilo several years ago, and with the in-helmet com and the ear muffs, sound is greatly reduced, to the point that on grid, I usually revert to reading lips or have to make the person outside my window speak up.

Prior to that, I had several tries at custom buds. None of them reduced the sound enough, and a few of them even fell out during enduros (which is awesome when you are trying to talk to pit). The last time I wore them, I put them in and taped over them so they couldn't fall out
I have Stilo ST5. hehe so I have a story about this topic. I actually have two of them.....remember the story at COTA where the transport guy left my Stilo ST5 helmet in CA, so I had to borrow a helmet from a friend who happened to have a brand new Stilo ST5 same size as mine. Well, I wore it so many times and sweat in the damn thing so much, it was not right to give it back to him, so I kept it. So, now I have two.

My original Stilo didn't have any communications stuff in it. But my friend's helmet came complete with microphone and headphones. On a helmet of the same size, the headphones literally squeezed my head so hard, I couldn't think straight......I went out on track with the headphones in and literally could not concentrate on driving. I had to come in and remove the communications package. So, I guess if I wanted to run the audio stuff, I would need a bigger helmet which would be bad for blocking sound.....or I would have to find an in-ear audio solution.

The cheap rubber ones are not that bad. I was just trying to find something better. We'll see if I can get the custom ones to do what they claim they can do. I mean, c'mon, they're $240! Apparently, I can get a refund if the re-dos don't net the expected results.

Last edited by dogbone; 12-07-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #2894
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Quote:
So, I guess if I wanted to run the audio stuff, I would need a bigger helmet which would be bad for blocking sound.....or I would have to find an in-ear audio solution.
You might check with Grant @ Wine Country. I was under the impression you could get larger or smaller ear cups for the Stilo. Mine are pretty damn tight... to the point that you feel like you need to pop your ears
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #2895
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
A few updates as we try to get the car sorted out:

-We received the new-to-me used transmission. EAS opened it up to inspect it. They said it was super clean on the inside. We decided to leave the stock clutch plates in it for the time being. EAS installed the trans and has run it around on the streets a bit. Seems fine so far.

- SYT_Shadow pointed me to remote coder SaNGRia who has an original unaltered GTS DCT file. My understanding over the years has been that there is a version of the GTS DCT file out there that has been detuned for street use. I did not want whatever that was. I think I have the detuned one in the E92, and I can tell you it doesn't chase the rev matching like the E90 does. So, that has been installed as well.

-In the interest of trying to stay ahead of problems, we have been eyeing control arms and bushings in the control arms. We have decided to replace most of the control arms with OEM replacement arms, and we swapped out the thrust arm bushing with a monoball Turner bushing. I had Powerflex in the tension arm previously. I'm not going with fancy aftermarket arms. And I'm still refusing to go full solid bushings in the rear of the car.

The Turner bushing:

-Diff bushings - Steve at EAS took a look at my OEM original diff bushings and said they were cracking. So, we're going with some PowerFlex diff bushings.

The diff bushings:

With all the control arms being messed with, I will go to Chewerks and get an alignment.

I have signed up for the SoCal Drivers Club Buttonwillow day on Dec 17 to test the car. Dec 18 is a Bimmer Challenge day with Speed Ventures. If the car works on the 17th, I'll most likely stay for the 18th as well.

In 2021, I've had quite a few track days where my car simply did not work (just ask fsmtnbiker who's had the great fortune of witnessing my car hard-parked in TX, CA and CO). Rolling up to a track not knowing whether your car works or not is a weird and frustrating feeling----you just can't know if the car works unless it is driven hard. You want to be excited about the track day, but you know it could be a very short day before you're packing up and running back to another shop. In my case, because I don't live in CA, I can't just hang out all day and be social if the car doesn't work; I have to get the car back to a shop immediately before I leave town. And the shop has to be willing to hold the car for potentially several weeks if not a month or more. Dec 17 will be another one of those track days---hoping the car works, but no idea if we found the problem. Ah---motorsport.
Appreciate 6
slcook541863.00
///Mobbin1478.00
SYT_Shadow11488.50
911r891.00
derbo3610.00
Kelse921131.50
      12-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #2896
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

dogbone Great update and I sincerely hope your problems are behind you! Also wanted to note that myself and many others have been running the original GTS DCT file with good success and I've even run it on two different cars now, think it should work well for you. Best of luck at your next event
      12-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #2897
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

By EAS he means me
And by Steve he means me

I'll see my way out.
Appreciate 4
DRLane3988.50
SYT_Shadow11488.50
berns1564.50
roastbeef11586.00
      12-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #2898
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
dogbone Great update and I sincerely hope your problems are behind you! Also wanted to note that myself and many others have been running the original GTS DCT file with good success and I've even run it on two different cars now, think it should work well for you. Best of luck at your next event
What is the original and the detuned GTS File SaNGRia ?

ZB:

I know the 442 ZB number is the later one but never knew it was deemed "detuned"
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #2899
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
What is the original and the detuned GTS File SaNGRia ?

ZB:

I know the 442 ZB number is the later one but never knew it was deemed "detuned"
Generally, when people speak of 'detuned' they are not talking about something that comes off of a BMW daten.

There is reportedly a 'dumbed down' GTS file out there. I continue to believe no one outside of BMW has meaningful access to the TCU of the E9X and would not be surprised to hear that the 'dumbed down' version some tuners/coders sell is actually an OEM file contained in BMWs daten and is not the GTS version, simply a 'euro' or 'updated US' version.
To put it another way, those tuners/coders are selling a BMW file that does not correspond to the GTS at all.

In those two versions, I believe one is the real GTS file and the other is the -also real- CRT file.

Full OEM GTS is a wonderful piece of software
Appreciate 3
derbo3610.00
SaNGRia986.00
///Mobbin1478.00
      12-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #2900
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Generally, when people speak of 'detuned' they are not talking about something that comes off of a BMW daten.

There is reportedly a 'dumbed down' GTS file out there. I continue to believe no one outside of BMW has meaningful access to the TCU of the E9X and would not be surprised to hear that the 'dumbed down' version some tuners/coders sell is actually an OEM file contained in BMWs daten and is not the GTS version, simply a 'euro' or 'updated US' version.
To put it another way, those tuners/coders are selling a BMW file that does not correspond to the GTS at all.

In those two versions, I believe one is the real GTS file and the other is the -also real- CRT file.

Full OEM GTS is a wonderful piece of software
Thanks for clarifying.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=5

Quote:
Like SYTShadow said, If you're decent with computers you're better off buying the cable and learning how to flash it with WinKFP. It takes about 7 minutes to do each flash and I've tried like 4 different ones now. WinKFP is much easier to use than NCSDummy or NCSExpert too. The 335i / N54 sites offer better DIY guides on how to use these programs and get them running.

I should probably start this as its own thread but my brief notes

All ZBs are for the module GS40

ZB 7845773 - This is supposedly what shipped with the GTS.
-Smoother and smarter transmission settings in general.
- S1-S3 do not blip downshifts, they slip downshifts. For this reason I use S4 for most driving.
-S6 will ease into upshifts when around quarter throttle or less, no shift shock, stock US / Euro would upset the car a lot if you did this.
-S4-S6 slam into upshifts, absolutely no cut of power, will really spin from a 1-2 gear shift, 2-3 will sometimes spin even on a hot day.
-Been a minute but I believe launch control was like 3500-4500. Hooked up much better than the stock tune, which just spins tires.
-Sounds (exhaust note) like a torque converter automatic, meshing into upshifts.

ZB 7848442 - Updated GTS?
- Currently using this, very much the same, a minor upgrade
- Can say with certainty that launch control is at 4500, hooks much better than the 5500 launch
- Perhaps a bit smoother at low speeds, equally violent when pushed.

ZB 7847869 - Up to date Euro Flash?
- Smoother than US, faster to reverse
- Better at low speeds than US but still noticeably clunkier than GTS
- Interesting note: The best sounding transmission tune.
-----Gives a really, really nice overrun sound when doing 1-2s and 2-3s at lower speeds.
-----Clear, audible cut of power during some shifts in higher settings, sounds mechanical & satisfying, like racking a gun. Hard to explain.
-5500RPM launch, not very useful. pure entertainment, theater.
- I switch to this when tracking and would use it all the time if it was as intelligent at slipping the clutch as GTS when operating at low speeds.

ZB - 7847868 Current US tune???
- No notable characteristics. Felt very much like when I got the car, which came flashed with DME & trans with 2013 SPDaten flashes. Felt like many of the other stock M3s I've driven. Not bad, but could be better.

Taking the time to type this up because I was frustrated with the lack of notes on characteristics and ZB numbers for all of these flashes. Hopefully someone searching in the future will find this and know where to go.

I would spend your money on getting someone to do Euro MDM, because using those programs is more complicated. American MDM is legitimately no fun at all.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11488.50
SaNGRia986.00
      12-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #2901
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

SYT_Shadow nailed it. The GTS i use comes straight from Bmw M GmbH . Appreciated my buddy SYT_Shadow and Thank you dogbone for the trust .
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 4
derbo3610.00
slcook541863.00
SYT_Shadow11488.50
redpriest2147.00
      12-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #2902
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

@dogbone, why are you against full spherical for the rear? Just curious. I for one think you will really benefit and appreciate the extra grip and feedback from sphericals, and now is the right time to do it since you're getting new arms.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #2903
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

See you on the 17th! Hope it's a good day... for both of us, ha.
Appreciate 3
slcook541863.00
dogbone5354.50
redpriest2147.00
      12-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #2904
Gmark958
Dumbass
Rep
Drives: ‘08 335i

Garage List
What are the future plans for the car? Any new mods planned or is everything pretty much there and you're now just working on getting it all sorted out?