BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #2641
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
If not, time to make some more invasive geometry changes and see how those work. I'm starting to think that the deflection from the factory rubber bushings was needed to settle the rear end down, and that the actual geometry back there needs to change a bit to get it all working harmoniously now that it's all spherical. Time will tell.
That's interesting theory. What kind of rear unsettling are you experiencing?

I've found that going from stock to solid bushing and spherical, that the rear end is much more settled now compared to before. Are you implying that the optimal may be a middle ground in between stock and solid+spherical everything?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #2642
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
I'm going to change the rear bar for sure since that's a bigger job. I may also swap the front springs to the 5.5" 750s I got just so I have a known quantity up front and take the 1000/1120/1230 rears that I have and hope that between those + front swaybar adjustments I can finally land somewhere that I like.

If not, time to make some more invasive geometry changes and see how those work. I'm starting to think that the deflection from the factory rubber bushings was needed to settle the rear end down, and that the actual geometry back there needs to change a bit to get it all working harmoniously now that it's all spherical. Time will tell.
[calls Steve at EAS to tell him to put all the mushy stock stuff back in the car]
I'm worried about this too, as my car is already a handful, but I think softer rear springs might help. I'm running 600/900 (divorced) right now but I think 800 might be the sweet spot. Either that or go up in the front.

Congrats dogbone on a successful weekend! Awesome to see it all working again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #2643
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
That's interesting theory. What kind of rear unsettling are you experiencing?

I've found that going from stock to solid bushing and spherical, that the rear end is much more settled now compared to before. Are you implying that the optimal may be a middle ground in between stock and solid+spherical everything?
Same for me. There's just so much rear end grip now after the rear spherical conversion. Bear in mind I already had a Giken LSD before the sphericals, and I could feel the effects even over the diff.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #2644
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScheier View Post
Sorry I missed you. Had some issues on Saturday and ended up packing it in and heading home. You have more time out there... just familiarity and smoothing it all out. My best GTS3 race lap was a 1:37.2 in Race #1 on Saturday... before the rain and most likely during the first 15 minutes of the 30 minute sprint race (old dude loses concentration after 20 minutes ).

And my Zebulon splitter took a beating. I could smell burning carbon fiber in turns 1, and 6a-b. No bueno. Ryan will be getting some of my repair $$s this fall
Yeah, around 7AM I wandered down to the part of the paddock where you had mentioned you guys would be setup----across from Ryan Dussex's trailer setup and looked around, didn't see you, so I asked one of the Bimmer guys if you were around they said you had left. Sorry to hear you had problems.

No doubt I have more time to gain. I just need more laps. The AIM Solo counted 16 hot laps for the whole day. I definitely need more time than that to become proficient at a track. And I'm looking forward to going back. I just don't think it will be soon....my family calendar is pretty full. I'll try to sneak out to HPR before the NASA June event.

A 1:37.2 during a race would give you the fastest non-TT time of the weekend from what I can tell. I've looked through the results, they don't give you a Best lap time. I got that text on Saturday saying they were having timing issues. Did that bug bite you?

When I first got the Zebulon splitter, I was unhappy that it was rubbing the ground so much. I raised my front end a bit (which I think was good for the suspension anyway) and now it only makes incidental contact. I'm still on the original rub blocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #2645
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm going to change the rear bar for sure since that's a bigger job. I may also swap the front springs to the 5.5" 750s I got just so I have a known quantity up front and take the 1000/1120/1230 rears that I have and hope that between those + front swaybar adjustments I can finally land somewhere that I like.

Interesting. I have solid aluminum bushings in the subframe, but I still have stock bushings/bearings in the stock control arms. The only control arm that I've replaced in the rear is the toe arm. It was done out of necessity as we could no longer get the toe we wanted with the stock toe arms. All the other control arms in the rear are stock. fwiw, my diff bushings are stock too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #2646
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
[calls Steve at EAS to tell him to put all the mushy stock stuff back in the car]
I'm worried about this too, as my car is already a handful, but I think softer rear springs might help. I'm running 600/900 (divorced) right now but I think 800 might be the sweet spot. Either that or go up in the front.

Thanks! Yeah, it's been a 7 month roller coaster ride trying to get the car back into a place where I am comfortable pushing it. We're getting there.

haha I'm sure Steve will be super excited to put all the old stuff back in.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #2647
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post

That all purpose cleaner and rag shortage is really getting out of hand.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
berns1564.50
      05-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #2648
JScheier
Private
Rep
Drives: GTS3 BMW E36 in NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Yeah, around 7AM I wandered down to the part of the paddock where you had mentioned you guys would be setup----across from Ryan Dussex's trailer setup and looked around, didn't see you, so I asked one of the Bimmer guys if you were around they said you had left. Sorry to hear you had problems.
Yeah... internal wet stuff wanted to become external wet stuff. I think its all fixed now.

Quote:
A 1:37.2 during a race would give you the fastest non-TT time of the weekend from what I can tell. I've looked through the results, they don't give you a Best lap time. I got that text on Saturday saying they were having timing issues. Did that bug bite you?
The timing loop was having issues all day Saturday (new one arrived yesterday). We were seeing 1-2 hits per session in most cases. RaceHero was a mess (due to the timing loop issue). It was so bad, we changed qualifying into a qualifying race with grid based on season points and rock-paper-scissors. Seriously. During Race #1, I dropped down to third. After the checker, I let one of the drivers by on the cool-down lap. Next thing I know, they have him on the podium. Had to go to video.

Quote:
When I first got the Zebulon splitter, I was unhappy that it was rubbing the ground so much. I raised my front end a bit (which I think was good for the suspension anyway) and now it only makes incidental contact. I'm still on the original rub blocks.
Mine is fairly low, but barely rubs the rub blocks at HPR. Pueblo is a little more bumpy and with the cambered turns, seems to eat the right corner of the splitter. Didn't help that I had a broken splitter mount (pin broke).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #2649
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under.....yeah, screw that Pueblo prepped rubber. I don't care what anyone says.....the data doesn't lie.

In my write up of Pueblo, I mentioned how Turn 10 was funky when I got on the prepped rubber. I decided to do a bit of homework and dig into the data to see if what I felt could be observed in the data. The answer is yes.

First, I looked at the GoPro video, and the car does wiggle a bit when I upshift. It doesn't look like much in the video, but you can see it.

Next, I went to the data, and it shows my rear wheels spun up on the rubber during the upshift quite a bit more than they do on the concrete. But that's not all----remember when I said the rear end got light before it wiggled? Yeah, the data shows that too. Time for some AIM screen shots! (Geez.....can I tell you how happy I am to have AIM data back? So nice.)

First, let's setup the data we'll be looking at in these pix.

Top half of chart:
-Red and Blue lines that are on top of each other are the Rear Left and Rear Right wheel spinning speeds in MPH. These speeds should be very similar to each other because I'm 100% on the gas which means the diff should be locked.
-Light Green line is the GPS Speed. GPS Speed usually reads lower than what the car reports on the speedometer and what it shows as wheel spin speeds. No big deal here.
-Black Line is what gear I'm in.

Lower chart:
-Orange line is the Gas pedal position.

This first picture is of my fast lap of the day. On this lap, I stayed away from the prepped rubber.

In this pic we can see a few things:
-At the point where I upshift at 11360ft down the track, I get a modest increase in the wheel rotation speeds--from 88 to 93MPH---around 5 MPH.
-Before the gear change, we can see the delta in speed between the GPS speed and wheel rotation speed is steady. It stays consistent around 3-4 MPH.
-In the lower chart, I stay 100% on the gas the whole time.

Now let's look at when I get on the prepped rubber surface:
-At the point where I upshift at 11260 ft down the track, I get a much more dramatic spin up in the wheels---from 88 to 103MPH----around 15 MPH. This was when the rear end wiggled.
-Before the gear change, while accelerating, look at the delta between the wheel spin speeds and the GPS Speed. The delta is changing and gets wider the faster I go. This means the tires are spinning up on the rubber surface and showing faster speeds than the GPS speed as I'm accelerating, and the delta is growing as I get faster. It got as wide as 10MPH before the upshift. In my book, this is no good. I sensed the car starting to feel light. Here's the data show what was going on.
-In the lower chart, as I upshift and the car wiggles, I back off the gas.

So, the data is showing that, while I'm accelerating down the straight, my wheels are spinning up more on the rubber compared to the concrete. And the difference in surface grip is highlighted by how much the wheels spin up on the rubber during the upshift---an additional 10 MPH over the tires on concrete.

How was lap time affected by this? Lap time-wise, it is slightly faster to take the wider line through Turn 10 and get on the prepped rubber. I gained 0.1 sec by getting on the prepped rubber compared to my fast lap of the day. However, the gains didn't carry on down the track into the next lap because I momentarily got off the gas when the rear end wiggled.

And it's worth noting that this was done on the A7 tires at the end of their second hot lap, so I know the tires were plenty warmed up.

In the end, the 0.1 sec is worthless to me if the car is gonna act like this on the prepped rubber. It feels like too much risk. I had theorized that I was losing 0.2 sec by tightening the turn. If I could stay on 100% gas, I'm guessing that's probably a pretty good guess. But if you have to back off on an upshift, then the gain probably really is only 0.1 sec. Yeah....I can pick that up somewhere else. Now maybe a car with less power won't have this drama, but for me, I think I just need to stay off it.
Appreciate 2
rhyary1563.00
      05-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #2650
JScheier
Private
Rep

One item to note: It was prepped rubber PRIOR to the wind and sand and rain on Saturday. The last drag race held was the previous Sunday, so most prep was gone. The wheel spin later down the track is usually due to sand and whatever fluids were dropped in drag races the previous weekend or Spec Pinatas.

FWIW, my data shows wheel spin around the same location on track... with only 300rwhp... so yeah, it's always a potential. I was on pole for race #1 and I pushed the #2 car to the right so I could have the center of the track. Video shows him squirling around when the flag drops... while I just motor away.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #2651
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
One item to note: It was prepped rubber PRIOR to the wind and sand and rain on Saturday. The last drag race held was the previous Sunday, so most prep was gone. The wheel spin later down the track is usually due to sand and whatever fluids were dropped in drag races the previous weekend or Spec Pinatas.

FWIW, my data shows wheel spin around the same location on track... with only 300rwhp... so yeah, it's always a potential. I was on pole for race #1 and I pushed the #2 car to the right so I could have the center of the track. Video shows him squirling around when the flag drops... while I just motor away.
Interesting. Well, all this goes against people saying the prepped rubber is more grip.

I have had a change in plans and will be going back to Pueblo this weekend. Friday is an open lapping day. Sat and Sun are SCCA TT. I didn't think I could go, but the schedule worked out last minute.

I'm looking forward to learning the flow of the track. Hopefully, Friday will be a good learning day---not gonna worry about lap time.

SCCA TT only gives you 3 x 15 minute TT sessions each day, so there's not a ton of track time on the weekend.

My tire situation is a bit interesting. I don't have as much practice rubber as I would like for Friday, but I'll figure something out. For the TT, I can run whatever tire I want. I think I'll jump in with the good Pirellis if conditions are favorable.

Looking forward to it! Hope the weather cooperates.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #2652
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Well, all this goes against people saying the prepped rubber is more grip.
Its prepped until it isn't. Rain brings the oils back up...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #2653
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

VHT in the rain is SKETCHY
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #2654
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
VHT in the rain is SKETCHY
I don't have video, but on Saturday at Pueblo Motorsports Park, the Spec Miata race ran just after the ran. Two laps in, right at the burn-out box, four SMs go into the outside wall.

Yeah, a little slick
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      05-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #2655
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under: Don't let your guard down!

I've had an opportunity to drive at Pueblo Motorsports Park a bit more over the last couple days. Friday was an open lapping day. And today was an SCCA TT. I still have two TT sessions tomorrow, but I was happy with my results today, so I figured I'd give an update.

Friday: I started digging in, trying to learn the track without the pressures of a competition. Ran several sessions on the scrubs until I corded two of the 4 tires. In my experimenting, I decided that I could cross the prepped drag strip rubber surface and get to the far left edge concrete and feel ok about it. After looking at my videos from Sunday, I saw that when I was rounding Turn 10 and going down the middle of the track, I was actually still putting my left wheels on the rubber. I figured if I was putting my outside wheels on the rubber during the turn, I could try to get comfortable just crossing it and getting back to dry concrete on the left edge.

In the early afternoon, I wanted to see what I could do on the A7s. I ran a 1:35.1---new personal best, but no video.....GoPro battery died. Was pretty happy with that lap. At that point, I was trying to decide whether I should just be done, or put on another set of very mediocre scrubs and keep practicing. I decided I should practice some more. I went out and then had some drama. I was going down the front straight and catching a small old school/low horsepower race car. I was closing in on him pretty fast. I sort of let my guard down now that this wasn't going to be a hot lap, buuuut I was still moving at a very high rate of speed. As I was closing in on the little car, I lazily went for the brake pedal, but I just got it with my toe. So, then I stomped on the pedal, landed on the pedal funny and twisted my ankle......and then I flew off the track.....I wasn't going that fast when I went off, but the car was ridiculously dirty----mounds of dirt, dust and rocks inside the car. And there was a new crack/impact on my windshield. My ankle was pretty sore---I definitely strained it. I was so angry with myself. I had had a great day up to this point and now I was facing hours of car clean up and an unknown injury of my ankle---and I wasn't even on a hot lap....Someone lent me a vacuum, so for the next couple hours, I was cleaning the car inside and out. Someone walked by the car----"Hey, this was cleaner earlier in the day...." Yeah yeah.....

Saturday - SCCA TT Day 1: Woke up today and----yup, my right ankle was pretty damn stiff. I have to mildly limp around when I'm walking, but as it turns out, I can drive largely pain free. The competition got going a bit late because they didn't have an ambulance on site. This actually happened on Friday too. I guess they need more ambulances in Pueblo.

I put a good set of Pirellis on the car today. I was hoping that I could drop into the 1:34s. Weather was good----good temps and no wind in the AM. Then, at the driver meeting, I was a bit concerned----I learned that half of the 20+ drivers in the TT group had never been to this track. I figured that because the track is fairly short (2.2 miles) this would mean that we would only get 1 lap before running into traffic. They also said initially that it would be point-by-only at three places on the track......haha not the best environment for fast laps. I made sure to get to grid early so that I could grid first.

Session 1: I was right. I got one hot lap before catching the back of the field. My driving was very choppy---of course!---session 1! But it was much faster than I thought---1:34.9. Yay 1:34! The Pirellis were good.

Session 2: I decided I needed to control my pace more on the out lap to see if I could get two hot laps in before catching the field. I started out slower and was able to get two hot laps in before I caught the field. First lap, had a really nice lap going at mid-1:34 pace until Turn 7 where I decided to experiment and see if I could brake deeper.......well, I enjoyed admiring T7 as a glided past it......ugh, blew that lap. Next lap I ran 1:34.8. Ok, a bit faster.

Session 3: Before the third session, I had a chance to chat with fsmtnbiker on the phone. He is an expert at Pueblo. We talked about the approach to a few corners. What I was saying to him was that, now I feel I have enough laps to critique what I'm doing wrong, but not enough laps to know exactly what to do to fix those things. Anyway, I appreciated his insights. And it gave me some specific stuff to try. Went out and first lap ran a 1:34.4. The lap time was nice, but Turn 1 was atrocious. I lost 0.5 sec to an earlier lap in the day just in T1, so I gave away a 1:33....I actually did T1 slightly better on Friday than I did at any time today...... That turn continues to elude me as far as how to get it right. When you look at the data, I'm doing Turn 1 differently every time. Anyway, overall I was happy that I was making less mistakes and that I was able to continue improving each session.

Looking at the data, my virtual best from today across 5 segments is a 1:33.8. Got some more work to do!

Sunday is a bit of a mystery. If it rains at the track tonight, which it could, then the track will be in an unknown state. And our TT group is the first group on track at 8AM, and if I'm gridded first, then I guess I'll be the first on the track which never excites me (darn prepped rubber surface!)......so, we'll see.

Here's video of the two hot laps from session 3---1:34.4, 1:34.8. (Please enjoy the new crack/impact mark on my windshield, courtesy of my stupid off in T1.)

Appreciate 2
atopa2002202.50
rhyary1563.00
      05-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #2656
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Let's file this one under: That damn prepped rubber really is a menace!! And what's up with the AIM predictive timing??

In my last post, I mentioned that Sunday would be a question mark based on unknown weather that would leave the track in an unknown condition and I was concerned about the prepped rubber surface because I would be the first car on it. Well, I was right to be cautious.

It rained quite a bit in the late afternoon yesterday at the track. When I arrived this AM, everything was dry. I walked onto the prepped rubber to check it out. It was dry and felt grippy to my shoes. I was still suspicious.

I talked to the top several cars in our TT group----I said, "I think we should do two warm up laps today because we are the first group on track today after a significant rain, and I'll be the first car to go hot, and I'm not comfortable just going for it until we've had a couple laps to go over that darn rubber surface. Plus, I want to make sure my tires are good and ready to go when I go hot on that surface." Everybody was agreeable.

All I can say is thank goodness we did that because even with two warm up laps, I still got movement out of the tail of the car as I went over that damn prepped rubber on my first hot lap. You can see it in the video.

But aside from that, I am very happy with the results of my two sessions. Was able to pick up more time.

Session 1: Predictive timing from the AIM today was worthless and screwing with my mind. After the tail stepped out in Turn 10 as I was about to start my first hot lap, I was bummed that it may have ruined the whole first hot lap, but I still drove it as hard as I could. Predictive timing was showing some garbage time like a 1:41 for most of the lap. As I was nearing the end of the lap, it reduced to 1:35......and then the lap ended up as a 1:33.7! I couldn't believe I had dropped 0.7 sec and gone into the 33s. In the raw video, as I was going down the front straight after the lap, I kept looking at the AIM because I didn't believe it. At first, it just didn't register. Anyway, it was correct---the transponder showed a 1:33.7. I attribute this drop in lap time to simply being more comfortable on the track. I stared at the data last night and gave myself 3 things to work on.

Session 2: Track and weather conditions were still good. Predictive timing was still not working on the AIM....nothing at all. Went out and dropped 0.1 sec more and got to 1:33.6. This could have even been better, but Turn 7 was not the best.....lost 0.4 sec in T7....

Honestly, I think the driving was better overall in the 1:33.7 until Turn 10---it was 0.2 sec faster than the 33.6 going into Turn 10, but I just sort of waffled through T10. Looking at the lap time deltas between the two fast laps is frustrating. I'm just not consistent at that track yet.

Anyway, it was nice to see that I kept getting faster every session from the beginning of Saturday thru Sunday. My virtual best is now a 1:33.1. I am sure with more work the car can go into the 1:32s. Beyond that, I have no idea.

I ended up putting in the fastest TT time of the weekend. And in looking at all the results of everything that showed up and ran SCCA this weekend, from what I can tell, I put in the 2nd fastest lap of the weekend. The fastest lap was put down by an open wheel car during a race qualifier, and it wasn't even close----he ran a 1:26.0. There were all kinds of interesting cars out there----NASCARS, a Huracan race car, 991 Cup Car, all kinds of open wheel stuff. So, I found it interesting that my lap held up as well as it did.

At the end of these three days at Pueblo Motorsports Park, I believe I have a general understanding of the track now. No doubt there's room for improvement. But I am happy with the results I got so far and I can walk away from the weekend satisfied that I ended up going faster than I had hoped. I look forward to building on what I learned this weekend, but I don't know when that will be.

Here's the video. I put both the 1:33.7 and 1:33.6 on there in that order. Note the tail stepping out on the rubber at the beginning of the video in Turn 10.....Also, when I shift into 4th gear on the front straight, you can hear the right rear tire squeal on the rubber during the shift at 89 MPH!!.....ridiculous.

Oh, and I just have to comment that when I went to leave the track today.....of course, I couldn't be waiting for a 15 minute minute session to end.....no....I had to be leaving when a 35 minute race was going on......sat for over 30 minutes waiting for the race to end so I could cross the track and leave. So silly.
Appreciate 2
b4hand661.00
rhyary1563.00
      05-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #2657
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Sounds like you are ready for AIM GPS09 unit.
It is a 25ghz gps.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #2658
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
It is a 25ghz gps.
hmmm it's not a GPS acquisition problem. The device reports the final lap times of every lap very accurately---sometimes exactly the same as the transponder. I'm just used to having the red and green lights giving me predictive information about the lap I'm on versus pervious best laps. Plus, I have the screen show me a predictive time. I don't stare at any of this stuff while I drive, but I can see the red and green lights out of the corner of my eye, and it's easy to glance at the predictive time quickly on a straight, especially when you're familiar with a track.

Sometimes just turning it off and on while on track will bring the predictive functionality back. My friend let me borrow his AIM, so I have two Solo 2 DL devices right now and they both suffer from it.

I wonder if it has something to do with how I setup tracks because I include segments in the track profile when I create tracks. Maybe they give the AIM some troubles? I don't know.

I've never contacted AIM about this, but I'll reach out to them and see if they have any insight.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #2659
JScheier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here's the video. I put both the 1:33.7 and 1:33.6 on there in that order. Note the tail stepping out on the rubber at the beginning of the video in Turn 10.....Also, when I shift into 4th gear on the front straight, you can hear the right rear tire squeal on the rubber during the shift at 89 MPH!!.....ridiculous.
Damn... you are damn near 25mph faster than me on the front straight. I hit 120-122 during the races.

Overall, your lines looked pretty good. Some cleanup in some of the entry points and you should be good. Turn 7 is a beotch for a lot of drivers. I think I finally have a good line for 7 for qualifying or lapping. Race day changes all of that as it opens up the inside more for a potential pass / dive-bomb situation.

Hope you enjoyed PMP! I like it more than HPR (I think it flows better)...although they need to start looking into repaving a couple of areas as it is getting more and more bumpy.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #2660
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn... you are damn near 25mph faster than me on the front straight. I hit 120-122 during the races.

Overall, your lines looked pretty good. Some cleanup in some of the entry points and you should be good. Turn 7 is a beotch for a lot of drivers. I think I finally have a good line for 7 for qualifying or lapping. Race day changes all of that as it opens up the inside more for a potential pass / dive-bomb situation.

Hope you enjoyed PMP! I like it more than HPR (I think it flows better)...although they need to start looking into repaving a couple of areas as it is getting more and more bumpy.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the car has good power, so she does alright on the straights.

No doubt, I have more learning to do there. I have four days at the track now, but that's deceiving because on Saturday, I ran 5 hot laps in the three sessions, and on Sunday, I ran 4 hot laps in the two sessions. So in two days, I had 9 total hot laps...not a ton of time on the track.

The most productive day I had in terms of learning the place was on Friday where there was no competition pressure and restrictions on time. And then you can see the results of that on Saturday and Sunday because I got faster every session on the same tires. My comfort level on the track is very high now. I have a good sense where the car sticks and where it gets crazy. So, the next task would be to clean up the driving.

Overall, I did enjoy driving PMP. The first 7 turns are a quick moving roller coaster which is very challenging and interesting. Turns 8 and 9 are more straight forward. And turn 10 is my least favorite turn at any track I've ever been to. The logistics of the track with no fuel pumps and having to wait for sessions to end to exit or enter the paddock are just silly. But that won't keep me away. I look forward to going back there and continuing to learn the place.

For now, the next challenge is HPR with NASA TT in three weeks. Looking forward to that. Hopefully, some good cars show up for TT to make it a highly competitive weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #2661
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
It is a 25ghz gps.
hmmm it's not a GPS acquisition problem. The device reports the final lap times of every lap very accurately---sometimes exactly the same as the transponder. I'm just used to having the red and green lights giving me predictive information about the lap I'm on versus pervious best laps. Plus, I have the screen show me a predictive time. I don't stare at any of this stuff while I drive, but I can see the red and green lights out of the corner of my eye, and it's easy to glance at the predictive time quickly on a straight, especially when you're familiar with a track.

Sometimes just turning it off and on while on track will bring the predictive functionality back. My friend let me borrow his AIM, so I have two Solo 2 DL devices right now and they both suffer from it.

I wonder if it has something to do with how I setup tracks because I include segments in the track profile when I create tracks. Maybe they give the AIM some troubles? I don't know.

I've never contacted AIM about this, but I'll reach out to them and see if they have any insight.
I have had similar problems with Palmer Motorsport Park where AIM had trouble recognizing and plotting that track. Mostly last year problem.

I am not sure how the predictive time function work, but if it relates to "knowing" the track than it would be a track specific problems and can be transient issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #2662
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have had similar problems with Palmer Motorsport Park where AIM had trouble recognizing and plotting that track. Mostly last year problem.

I am not sure how the predictive time function work, but if it relates to "knowing" the track than it would be a track specific problems and can be transient issue.
I’ve seen it both at High Plains and Pueblo in my most recent tracking. Both tracks are completely wide open with full views of the entire sky. I’ve seen it in CA as well.

I called AIM. They didn’t have any generic answers, but told me if I sent them a device that failed to show predictive timing and it still had the sessions on it, they had other software that could look at it. I’ll try to send them the unit.
Appreciate 0