BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

help with SES light

So I was on my long trip to munich, and stopped to fill up at the gas station (we get discounts at stupid ESSO stations), and when i pulled up the Tanker was unloading fuel into the system... I had no choice but to fill up, gas on the economy is double than what i pay at esso, and there was no other one in the vicinity(usually I would never fill up if the tanker is unloading)... so soon after, the car went to a limp mode, and had the mortal 6500rpm limit and said there was engine malfunction, something with the fuel pump... I stopped and restarted the car, same message plus SES light. I drove modestly for about 40 - 50 miles, and then decided to reset the car (the car drove fine), so I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes... after that the car was fine, and I drove about 400 miles after and no SES no errors. Would it come up again if it's a serious issue? Car is out of warranty here in Germany, so I would hate to pay out of pocket... Is it possible that something went wrong for a second, and then went back to normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
What year is the car? BMW dealerships in Germany that deal with Americans that have the car that is still inside of the 4yr warranty, apply what is called Kulanz. Translated, it means fairness/goodwill. So, you shouldnt have much problem getting warranty work. It may just be a tiny bit harder to get something done, but they generally do it because of Kulanz. I didnt believe it at first, but when I was getting my break in service done, I spoke to the service manager about it. He turned around and immediately grabbed a file with the work order folders in it. He went through them and pulled out three that had the word "Kulanz" stamped on them in red. He said not to worry too much about warranty issues post 2yr mark. I know this doesnt help you with your current issue, but dont forget that word. It may help you out later... Im in the Ansbach, Bavaria area, btw.
      03-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

mine is 2008, with about 43k miles... stateside warranty good till august. Hmm, I might have to try that route if the light comes on again... What might be the problem is the tune, although i have a hand held tuner and can load the stock map, some say dealership might still be able to see it. As of now, light has been off, and I'm just hoping it was bad gas or something.
Appreciate 0