BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #67
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Why are they saying the x3 is so bad?

They didn't really explain it, because its built in the US?

I love the x3...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #68
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Why are they saying the x3 is so bad?

They didn't really explain it, because its built in the US?

I love the x3...
Did you watch the whole video? They explain that the X3 is supposed to be a smaller X5 but it is not.

I've been in a few X3s... The ride is terrible, it looks terrible, the interior is cheap and really it has no place selling at its listed price. You can get a RAV4 or CRV and they are better in every aspect and a lot cheaper. The X3 really is a bad car designed to fill a gap in BMW's line up. Not very much effort went into it and it shows.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #69
Drew97
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great video. Thanks for sharing..
      12-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #70
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Did you watch the whole video? They explain that the X3 is supposed to be a smaller X5 but it is not.

I've been in a few X3s... The ride is terrible, it looks terrible, the interior is cheap and really it has no place selling at its listed price. You can get a RAV4 or CRV and they are better in every aspect and a lot cheaper. The X3 really is a bad car designed to fill a gap in BMW's line up. Not very much effort went into it and it shows.
First or second gen? If second gen, I'm going to have to disagree. Don't see how you can say a RAV4 is better (IMHO of course). I'm actually a fan of the CR-V, but there's no competition with the F25.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #71
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The current x3 is within an inch in every dimension of the original x5, yes, and I would gather that its not much smaller than the current x5 (which I am sure grew from the original x5)... But keep in mind that an all new x5 is on the way and it looks even bigger than the current x5. Perhaps its size will make more sense when the new x5 arrives.

I didn't realize they were not selling well, is there a place you can reference this information? I might be intrigued to low-ball a dealer on one... As for the ride, all BMW's ride rough, this is probably because every road in the US is beyond $h***y. As for the interior, I think it looks fantastic, it looks the same as any other BMW right now... This is the first poor review I've read on the x3, can you point me to others? When the SAV was release, it was praised in reviews as being much better than the outgoing SAV...

Have you driven an x1 yet? I felt like it was REALLY cheap inside, but the x3 has a better feel to it than the x1 in my opinion...

Perhaps I have only looked at top-of-the-line 35i M-Sports, for example...

I prefer subtle interiors, my ZHP is black cube trim on black leather with anthracite head-linter (etc). The interior on the 4er concept (for example) is hideously showy in every way. I'm sure its just for concept purposes, but wow...

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #72
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

Enjoyed it a lot: thanks! Also, it sucks that BBC America are not showing TG UK as is 0 unedited. Who cares if they shows cars we can't buy (Renault, Alfa, Fiat, Dacia, Skoda, SEAT, Peugeot) or critique Yank Tanks - all good!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The current x3 is within an inch in every dimension of the original x5, yes, and I would gather that its not much smaller than the current x5 (which I am sure grew from the original x5)... But keep in mind that an all new x5 is on the way and it looks even bigger than the current x5. Perhaps its size will make more sense when the new x5 arrives.

I didn't realize they were not selling well, is there a place you can reference this information? I might be intrigued to low-ball a dealer on one... As for the ride, all BMW's ride rough, this is probably because every road in the US is beyond $h***y. As for the interior, I think it looks fantastic, it looks the same as any other BMW right now... This is the first poor review I've read on the x3, can you point me to others? When the SAV was release, it was praised in reviews as being much better than the outgoing SAV...

Have you driven an x1 yet? I felt like it was REALLY cheap inside, but the x3 has a better feel to it than the x1 in my opinion...

Perhaps I have only looked at top-of-the-line 35i M-Sports, for example...

I prefer subtle interiors, my ZHP is black cube trim on black leather with anthracite head-linter (etc). The interior on the 4er concept (for example) is hideously showy in every way. I'm sure its just for concept purposes, but wow...
Some countries have a 6 month waiting list for the F25 so I'm not sure where he's getting his info from. The plant is pumping out as many as they can right now
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #74
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Some countries have a 6 month waiting list for the F25 so I'm not sure where he's getting his info from. The plant is pumping out as many as they can right now
^ agreed, my local (decently-sized) dealership only has 3 on the lot, and only one is a 35i...

I also stumbled upon this photo the other day while trying to find such information...

Call me crazy, but the x3 seems to be a "good fit" between x1 and x5, and if the x5 is about to grow more, then it will fit even better...

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #75
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I did not say the X3 was not selling well. I said it was a really bad buy at $40k-50k when you can get a better car for $10K less (RAV4/CRV etc). You get better interior plastic materials, better ride quality and way better value for money and resale value in those cars compared to the X3. The X3 is pretty much a cheap excuse of a car with a BMW badge slapped on it. And people buy it because it is a small CUV with a BMW badge on it.

As for appearance... that is subjective but I think the X3 looks terrible in any trim you put on it. You can't hide bad styling and cheap hard interior plastics behind a body kit and big wheels. As Top Gear says the X3 is "About as cool as the Argyle sweater your colour-blind auntie bought you, worn in the height of summer while working in a bakery. In Uganda."

As for poor reviews:

Top Gear Magazine
http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/verdict

Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-30i-road-test

WhatCar Britain:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/u...ummary/25606-3

Autoweek:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...IEWS/120419857

Last edited by Z K; 12-12-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #76
viveack
Private
Rep
Drives: White on Red e93 m3

Go M3!! lol i was LOLing throughout the whole video!! TY for the post.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #77
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not say the X3 was not selling well. I said it was a really bad buy at $40k-50k when you can get a better car for $10K less (RAV4/CRV etc). You get better interior plastic materials, better ride quality and way better value for money and resale value in those cars compared to the X3. The X3 is pretty much a cheap excuse of a car with a BMW badge slapped on it. And people buy it because it is a small CUV with a BMW badge on it.

As for appearance... that is subjective but I think the X3 looks terrible in any trim you put on it. You can't hide bad styling and cheap hard interior plastics behind a body kit and big wheels. As Top Gear says the X3 is "About as cool as the Argyle sweater your colour-blind auntie bought you, worn in the height of summer while working in a bakery. In Uganda."

As for poor reviews:

Top Gear Magazine
http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/x3/verdict

Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-30i-road-test

WhatCar Britain:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/u...ummary/25606-3

Autoweek:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...IEWS/120419857
Are you kidding me? The first three of those links are for the original x3 (which I am also a fan of to be honest). Only the 4th link was for the second generation x3... While I didn't read it entirely, I only found two complaints while skimming, distaste for RFT's and price. No matter what price am automaker prices a vehicle at, there will always be some cheapskate that thinks its too high...

The following link shows a roundup of the second generation reviews...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443380

While I don't have time to read all of them, I recall reading many at launch that did nothing but praise the new SAV. It was the first "team test" vehicle on Fith Gear (a much better show than Top Gear) and it got excellent scores and remarks...

Top Gear is more entertaining than informative, sure I'll watch it, but I don't take my buying advice from them. I've personally driven 3 different second generation x3's and found them all to be wonderful. My better half has a very nice (and loaded out) CR-V, albeit the last generation, and it's quite smaller inside than the x3. I know this because we drove them back to back this past Sunday. The BMW was the winner in our eyes and that was just the 4cyl. They didnt have any 6cyl's for us to drive. We'll be replacing the CR-V with an m-sport 35i in a few years after we sell an investment property...

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #78
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Are you kidding me? The first three of those links are for the original x3 (which I am also a fan of to be honest). Only the 4th link was for the second generation x3... While I didn't read it entirely, I only found two complaints while skimming, distaste for RFT's and price. No matter what price am automaker prices a vehicle at, there will always be some cheapskate that thinks its too high...

While I don't have time to read all of them, I recall reading many at launch that did nothing but praise the new SAV. It was the first "team test" vehicle on Fith Gear (a much better show than Top Gear) and it got excellent scores and remarks...

Top Gear is more entertaining than informative, sure I'll watch it, but I don't take my buying advice from them. I've personally driven 3 different second generation x3's and found them all to be wonderful. My better half has a very nice (and loaded out) CR-V, albeit the last generation, and it's quite smaller inside than the x3. I know this because we drove them back to back this past Sunday. The BMW was the winner in our eyes and that was just the 4cyl. They didnt have any 6cyl's for us to drive. We'll be replacing the CR-V with an m-sport 35i in a few years after we sell an investment property...
I didn't even see his post. The current X3 blows the Rav4 out of the water in terms of performance, interior quality, ah what the heck. Why even argue with someone that compares a Rav4 to an X3 (top of the c0cks ). Good choice on the Msport 3.5 though. I think it's a great car to have, and it's just the right size.

So that the thread is not completely derailed, I have to say I've watched that video many times since it's been out. Still love what they say about the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #79
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The reviews are mixed at best if you read them. Even for the 2nd generation (which is still the same platform with some tweaks) is average.

Really, if you pay $40-50K for a car that is average and has questionable styling, are you really getting your money's worth? Fifth Gear's team test complained about the cheap interior, flimsy plastics and the exterior was boring. Yes, they said the driving experience was good and BMW-like but that was all.
So if you go with Top Gear and Fifth Gear, you have 0 and 0.5 for a score.

Sorry but just because a car has a BMW badge does not make it special. I'd save my money and get a RAV4 before I get an X3 and laugh at the people driving around in square boxes that paid double as much for a shiny badge on their average car. Remember, its a SUV.. the U stands for Utility. This is not a baby that will be garaged and driven for fun - it will get used and beaten. For $50K, the X3 doesn't offer much for the $. Throw in resale value and you'll be spending a lot on very little car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #80
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The reviews are mixed at best if you read them. Even for the 2nd generation (which is still the same platform with some tweaks) is average.

Really, if you pay $40-50K for a car that is average and has questionable styling, are you really getting your money's worth? Fifth Gear's team test complained about the cheap interior, flimsy plastics and the exterior was boring. Yes, they said the driving experience was good and BMW-like but that was all.
So if you go with Top Gear and Fifth Gear, you have 0 and 0.5 for a score.

Sorry but just because a car has a BMW badge does not make it special. I'd save my money and get a RAV4 before I get an X3 and laugh at the people driving around in square boxes that paid double as much for a shiny badge on their average car. Remember, its a SUV.. the U stands for Utility. This is not a baby that will be garaged and driven for fun - it will get used and beaten. For $50K, the X3 doesn't offer much for the $. Throw in resale value and you'll be spending a lot on very little car.
I don't disrespect anyone's opinion, but I think the x3 looks fantastic, especially in M-Sport trim. Perhaps that is my first hang-up with people that disagree. As for the Rav4, the pre 2013 is ok at best in styling, pretty mundane, and the all new 2013 looks like every other Toyota in the front, ugly. Its a mix between the Sienna, the Venza and the Camry.

Ugh, go right ahead... I'm not sure what the all new Rav4 will cost, but I did just build out a limited 2012 with v6, nav, etc, came to $33,000. Thats pretty close to what the CR-V in my household cost when it was new as well. It's definitely great value for the money, but I don't think that the x3 isn't a good value as well. If all anyone cared about was "bang for the lowest buck" then no one would ever buy a BMW. Your argument could be used for a Camry over a 3-Series as well... I see you have an e90 M3, what makes it special? You should have saved your money and bought something cheaper bro, just because it has a BMW badge doesn't make it special... I'm kidding, but what you apply to an SAV purchase also applies to ANY purchase, I am sure you would disagree, I'm sure your M3 is an AMAZINGLY special car, and I'm sure there are x3 owners (of both generations) that would say their vehicles are special as well. While my ZHP is no M, I feel like it is a pretty special car, but not just because it has a BMW badge, it just is...

We will be looking at off-lease 2011's in 2014 (or towards the end of 2013 if any loaded alpine white on black 35i M-Sports come in early). So the argument about loosing the initial value is lost on me. After buying (and loosing money) on two "brand new" vehicles, I'll stick to CPO'd from here on out. Someone else can loose all of that money... Well, until I'm well off enough to start buying M vehicles...

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 12-22-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0