BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
TinoGrigio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Purchasing 2012 E92 M3

Hey guys,

I was looking to possibly get some input as I've been searching daily for an e92 M3 Coupe. One has recently come up but it's a little odd. The car was originally leased in Canada and purchased by a second owner who drove it from 20k miles to 43k miles. Now the car is in possession of a dealership in Texas. The dealer is asking for 35k with 43k miles. The car is equipment with the competition package and thats about it I believe. Upon doing research through car gurus it is listed $1000 above a good value. The other thing is I don't have much time to fly to Texas and check out the car especially I don't end up buying but I know that the rod bearings and throttle actuators are important to know about. What do you guys think?

My car requirements
Alpine White
Carbon Fiber Roof
Coupe
6MT
EDC
Preferably comfort access but I don't think this car has it.

Thanks everyone and appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

show us a link to the car. if you are serious about it, you should get a PPI done, you don't need to fly there yourself, have a professional do a Pre Purchase Inspection
      05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
TinoGrigio
Enlisted Member
Rep

I post the link of the vehicle below. That was what the sales person suggested. Upon speaking with him on the phone he was very honest from what I got. He suggested a PPI for around 200-300 as well as explained that they don't have very good financing options for people out of state.

http://www.netcarshowroom.com/vehicl...tx-id-30084966
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
TinoGrigio
Enlisted Member
Rep

I also notice that the layout of the steering wheel buttons are different. I thought the M button was standard 2011.5+. The car has the competition package but has a cd and air circulating button instead of the M button?

*Edit* Scratch that, I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the car didn't even have a screen on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

nice

i saw that listing. it is a great spec. no nav/flat-dash is sweet. i think it is very underpriced....and especially since it is a dealer selling it, my alarm bells are going off.

i would not buy that car without a personal inspection done by me personally, plus a PPI at a BMW dealer and serious paint scrutiny.

maybe consider starting the process by obtaining service history on the car and asking for detailed undercarriage pics.

good luck!

ps- that car could have been tuned and modded to all hell and put back to stock for resale
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
TinoGrigio
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
i saw that listing. it is a great spec. no nav/flat-dash is sweet. i think it is very underpriced....and especially since it is a dealer selling it, my alarm bells are going off.

i would not buy that car without a personal inspection done by me personally, plus a PPI at a BMW dealer and serious paint scrutiny.

maybe consider starting the process by obtaining service history on the car and asking for detailed undercarriage pics.

good luck!

ps- that car could have been tuned and modded to all hell and put back to stock for resale
JRF I really appreciate your feedback. The only thing I was worried about and didn't realize is that it didn't have nav/idrive so I wasn't sure if you could even adjust the car still such as throttle response and suspension edc. This model through me off as unfamiliar of the differences and its hard to find info cause there is many models like this. There's is no service vehicle records for the car as while it was in Canda the info is blank as well as when the car was here it shows no service maintenance. I'm assuming the rod bearings and throttle actuators haven't been replaced yet so I figured that into the future maintenance I'll have to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinoGrigio View Post
JRF I really appreciate your feedback. The only thing I was worried about and didn't realize is that it didn't have nav/idrive so I wasn't sure if you could even adjust the car still such as throttle response and suspension edc. This model through me off as unfamiliar of the differences and its hard to find info cause there is many models like this. There's is no service vehicle records for the car as while it was in Canda the info is blank as well as when the car was here it shows no service maintenance. I'm assuming the rod bearings and throttle actuators haven't been replaced yet so I figured that into the future maintenance I'll have to do.
well don't rely on carfax... you should be able to pull the dealer service history on it from any BMW dealer..... ask them to look it up for you. the car you are looking at is a Canadian market car btw- you probably knew this.... look at the speedometer. the fact that it doesn't have nav/idrive makes it 10x more appealing to me and pretty much anyone who would not be using the car as a daily driver. it's a rare find. keep us posted please.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

PS- you can run the last 7 digits of the VIN for a free build sheet here.....

http://bimmer.work/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
TinoGrigio
Enlisted Member
Rep

JRF Thank you for the info. I will stop by my local dealer to get the service maintence info. I will keep you updated. The dealer noted that they could possibly discount the price if necessary. If you could answer one questions for me as I could not find an answer, but if the car does not have the M button on it which features can I not adjust?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The dash still shows KMH. That's odd, I'm pretty sure all cars imported from Canada into USA must say MPH.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

If you haven't already, definitely try to google some reviews of the dealer, just to get a good idea of who you're working with.

If you're serious, I'm sure there are some Houston based forum members here that could go take a look at the car for you - to see if it's really worth your time. Photos don't always tell the truth - good or bad.

I bought my car in Houston. I was happy with the PPI I had done at ABR Houston, if you happen to get to that point.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Bigugly
sheesh!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
I was happy with the PPI I had done at ABR Houston, if you happen to get to that point.

Glad to hear
Appreciate 0