BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Installing Homelink

Im planning on picking up an M3 that does not have the Premium Package. I was planning on installing a homelink mirror into the car.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
Im planning on picking up an M3 that does not have the Premium Package. I was planning on installing a homelink mirror into the car.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
I've done this on other cars. The Gentex homelink mirrors I believe were discontinued so it might be a challenge finding one though I do see some on eBay. It's simple 12v. I have one in my NSX that has a compass, temperature gauge, and LED lighting. The challenges I ran into with that unit was mounting the button to the glass, even with the Loctite glue it kept falling off. Eventually, it stayed on with Krazy glue and once a year or two it will fall off. In addition, the mirror wasn't exactly designed for the car, so it interfered with the sun visors.

So when I wanted to put Homelink on another car, what I did was I shopped around eBay for a Homelink visor or anything that had the Homelink module. I ended up buying an overhead console from a Kia Sedona and I ripped the Homelink part of it out. I found a good spot in my car and just wired up 12v to it and did some custom work drilling holes and mounting the unit so it's completely stealth. Works very well...
      10-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I've done this on other cars. The Gentex homelink mirrors I believe were discontinued so it might be a challenge finding one though I do see some on eBay. It's simple 12v. I have one in my NSX that has a compass, temperature gauge, and LED lighting. The challenges I ran into with that unit was mounting the button to the glass, even with the Loctite glue it kept falling off. Eventually, it stayed on with Krazy glue and once a year or two it will fall off. In addition, the mirror wasn't exactly designed for the car, so it interfered with the sun visors.

So when I wanted to put Homelink on another car, what I did was I shopped around eBay for a Homelink visor or anything that had the Homelink module. I ended up buying an overhead console from a Kia Sedona and I ripped the Homelink part of it out. I found a good spot in my car and just wired up 12v to it and did some custom work drilling holes and mounting the unit so it's completely stealth. Works very well...

Do you think I could use an OEM Homelink mirror
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
Do you think I could use an OEM Homelink mirror
Yep, didn't think about that but it looks like an easy retrofit... See this thread.