BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Rockers chipped?...

Anyone elses rockers all chipped to hell and back?

Car only has about 1,600 miles on it and I'm wondering if there will be any paint left after 10k.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

took mines on the PA turnpike back in march...i regret every moment of it...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

yep kinda.... but at least my car is white so it doesn't stick out too bad, but you can notice it if you look close

a good reason I only went 10mm with spacers and no more
      04-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

mine were bad before I got spacers..its especially bad on the back bumper, the closest part to the tire. and its bad on the side skirts also closest to the rear wheel, i guess thats debris from the front tire ?

but since its on white, its not too obvious!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
M3Bliss
Just Live'n the Dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3

When I had my clear bra put on I had the fellow cover the rockers with the film and it has helped a lot. I figure if the material gets chipped up I can have it replaced with a new sheet and they will still look new. If you get yours repainted that may be something to consider.
      04-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Yea I just now noticed it...I went to go wash the rockers and when I was drying I was like..."Holy shit this feels like sandpaper!"...then when the guy came to detail the car he clayed them and it still felt like that...then he told me..."Dude those are rock chips"...I was like "No wai", lol. Kinda depressing, but I didn't buy the car to look at it...I'll just repaint them down the line...at first I thought it was paint on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

funny that both of you mention painting because I was planning to repaint mine as my car is in the body shop for 3 days to have my front bumper re-sprayed from stone chips. I like to start the spring/summer with a freshly painted front bumper and Im not a fan of the 3M clearbra all over the car. I rather respray my front bumper once a year for a couple hundred bucks then pay close to if not the same in having a clearbra that will eventually turn yellow and have that cleartape all over the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Spacers will being out the wheels a bit, this is one of the risks taken with the more aggressive stances.

However there are a number of companies (lamin-x,or custom) that offer rocker panel protection to assist in damage prevention.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

yup mine got chips, i think we all do.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

If interested, Sticker City sells the kit for rockers & behind the rear wheel.

Getting mine touched up & going with the full Venture Shield kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #11
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
funny that both of you mention painting because I was planning to repaint mine as my car is in the body shop for 3 days to have my front bumper re-sprayed from stone chips. I like to start the spring/summer with a freshly painted front bumper and Im not a fan of the 3M clearbra all over the car. I rather respray my front bumper once a year for a couple hundred bucks then pay close to if not the same in having a clearbra that will eventually turn yellow and have that cleartape all over the bumper.
Not for me, I'd rather have the clearbra (which I have) and still have factory fresh paint beneath it. My rockers are new like the day I got the car.

The only thing I don't like is the stretch marks and orange peel on my hood from the film, but I'm having that taken care of as Durasheild now carries a new film with a clearcoat in it, no orange peel whatsoever, and comes in 60" which will cover my entire hood without the need to stretch it. I'm having only the hood film replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
yup mine got chips, i think we all do.
Not all of us. Mine is like brand new after 14500km.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Mine are beat up pretty badly, also. Even on JB it is not obvious except for a small patch just in front of the rear wheels. The car has to be on a lift or you have to lay next to it to see the lower side of the rocker panels.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Mine has perfect paint underneath a layer or two of blue tape. This would not be practical on a daily driver however and it looks a little odd on AW. Clear film would be a better alternative for daily use but I haven't decided if I wanted to go that route since I still like having access to the paint occasionally.

OCD FTW!!
      04-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Yep. Mirrors, rocker panels, hood, fenders, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Mine has perfect paint underneath a layer or two of blue tape. This would not be practical on a daily driver however and it looks a little odd on AW. Clear film would be a better alternative for daily use but I haven't decided if I wanted to go that route since I still like having access to the paint occasionally.

OCD FTW!!

are you serious? you actually drive with blue tape on a daily basis?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Not for me, I'd rather have the clearbra (which I have) and still have factory fresh paint beneath it. My rockers are new like the day I got the car.

The only thing I don't like is the stretch marks and orange peel on my hood from the film, but I'm having that taken care of as Durasheild now carries a new film with a clearcoat in it, no orange peel whatsoever, and comes in 60" which will cover my entire hood without the need to stretch it. I'm having only the hood film replaced.

Not all of us. Mine is like brand new after 14500km.

I haven't seen this new product yet, and perhaps that would change my mind about doing clearbra. But as you know, Andrew from Exoticare is a big fan of it and recommends it to all his customers with high end cars, but he has never been able to sell me on it.

Let me ask you this, who are you saving the paint for? The next owner ? Thats very nice of you, I mean I would love to buy your car because I would rip off all the clearbra and your right I would have a brand new car underneath it all. So it works out great for the next owner, but meanwhile you dealt and had to look at the orange peel and yellowing and the lines all over the car.

Heres a relevant story, my uncle used to lease a new Honda every 4 years, and the day he would pick up the car he would put 3-4 carpets into each area of the car, one on top of the other for extra extra protection. He barely every cleaned his car throughtout the lease (so he isn't car crazy or care much about the car in general). When his lease would come up in 4 years, he would take out all those carpets and underneath you would LITERALLY have a brand new car. I never understood this... : WHAT was the point? To give Honda a brand new car back? and for the 4 years he had it, he had 3 or 4 ugly layers of carpet to protect the car's carpet for the next owner or to make it easier for Honda to sell it ? The clearbra reminds me of that, and I simply see no point.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are you serious? you actually drive with blue tape on a daily basis?
I do for now until I decide on a permanent solution. It's only on the bottom surfaces and the parts facing the tires. It's hard to see most of it.

I don't have blue tape on my daily driver 3-series and my M3 is driven on weekends mostly.
      04-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
I do for now until I decide on a permanent solution. It's only on the bottom surfaces and the parts facing the tires. It's hard to see most of it.

I don't have blue tape on my daily driver 3-series and my M3 is driven on weekends mostly.
wow! thats pretty OCD. its just paint man!

and FWIW, Im an anal guy too and I take care of my stuff. the next owner of my M will be a very happy guy. So its not like Im some slob who doesn't take care of his shit. I clean my weekly, and dust it off and clean the rims a few times a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow! thats pretty OCD. its just paint man!

and FWIW, Im an anal guy too and I take care of my stuff. the next owner of my M will be a very happy guy. So its not like Im some slob who doesn't take care of his shit. I clean my weekly, and dust it off and clean the rims a few times a week.
Oh I know I went way off the deep end on this car but I do plan to keep it a very long time. I'm sure I will loosen up over time and just enjoy it. I just know what my 330i rockers look like and couldn't stand the idea of that happening to this one just yet. It is a pain with the tape and I get some funny looks sometimes but that doesn't bother me in the least. I will eventually wrap them with something transparent, most likely.
      04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i really stressed about my jzb m3 the first time i took it to the track(covered the front end and rockers witha removable film, looked like i used saran wrap)but it was used and already had chips in it so not so anal anymore about it and will get the bumper and hood repainted when it becomes needed then get the clearbra. thought it would look just as bad to have clearbra over chips anyway.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRangr View Post
Anyone elses rockers all chipped to hell and back?
That's exactly how I'd describe mine buddy... with all of 400 miles after a repaint. Culprit was a long stretch of road under construction, full of loose gravel. Went slow on my other car and a truck that passed me broke my windshield. Thought that area was going to be finished after 2 weeks . No the M didn't let anybody pass me, so beat the rocket paint to hell, but rather have that than broken windshield, headlights, etc.

Quote:
funny that both of you mention painting because I was planning to repaint mine as my car is in the body shop for 3 days to have my front bumper re-sprayed from stone chips.
A word of caution folks. And I've experienced this myself, and heard it from many other people all over the US. A respray job doesn't hold up like factory. Don't know why is that; my bodyshop supposedly used exactly what the factory used (paint and clear), including the 'flexible' stuff on bumpers. So my advice is DO NOT repaint any panels until they look like crap. Maybe the same would have happened to factory paint, but doubt it. Just a heads up. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #22
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
A word of caution folks. And I've experienced this myself, and heard it from many other people all over the US. A respray job doesn't hold up like factory. Don't know why is that; my bodyshop supposedly used exactly what the factory used (paint and clear), including the 'flexible' stuff on bumpers. So my advice is DO NOT repaint any panels until they look like crap. Maybe the same would have happened to factory paint, but doubt it. Just a heads up. Good day.
Well I dont know...my body shop sprayed my front bumper last year too and its the only part of my car that isn't swirled to shit. So perhaps they might be doing something better, and my OEM bumper (before ever painting it at a body shop) after 1 year of driving looked a lot worse then this year with the body shop's paint job from last year. So I don't think that is always true!
Appreciate 0