BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

My Ohlins Ttx46/Ttx36 true coil over setup and track thread

Edit-Adding pictures which shows pre-install and one of my car which BTW I cannot decide to run either the GT4 mk2 Wing (a 140cm long and wider version of the GTS wing or the F82 M4 wing. I have both and deciding)

The largest one is the TTX46 which shows the attached piggy back external reservoir.
The smaller is the TTX36 Internal reservoir (no external needed)

Smarter folks than me I am sure know about why or why not certain types of suspension are better or worse. Some main ways these were a bit different are really the fact it has two tubes (inner and outer) rather than a monotube. Whether better or worse who knows.

Second is this "through rod" technology as well as the size of the Piston. The TTX is a 46mm Piston. This conpares to something like MCS which has a 22mm piston. Again whether good or bad I don't know.

Anyway Attadhed pics.

There is a ton of info about virtually every setup except full ttx on
An e92 m3. Even less on a,true,coil over version.

I'll go into more about how I went this,route ultimately which kind of started with a
recommendation of a local bmw car builder but it turned out he was pushing the
Original PSI raceline ohlins package by performance shock which uses a TTX 36 rear damper
But in the front uses a relativeloy basic HMRC ohlins inverted strut up front instead of
The TTX46 which is ohlins top motorsport damper.

The original ohlins raceline kit is about 7500 for 2 way setup with springs.

Toe kit I got was 2 way ttx46 and tttx36 including springs asnd was 9500 shipped to my door.

A real no brainer if you ask me as the TTX46 is really an entirely better product than the typically strut they put on and given this is a 95 percent track car, my goal was maximum performance. Some folks have told me I was nuts and that I should just go by a z06 or GT3 if I am going to waste 10k on suspension but to me, compared to the fact people pay 5k for a bmw muffler, 10k on a world-class suspension (whether this or MCS, Motor or whatever) is a really sensible upgrade if tracking the car. Plus it has been so much more fun and to be honest if you can lose a few hundred pounds off of an e92 m3 and install the highest end products, for about 40k you can probably whoop most cars out there so not a terrible way to spend money.

In the end I wanted something unique and wanted to build the absolute best suspension foundation I could find and if needed can grow into 3 or 4 way very easily for a modest cost.

Spring rates asnd the package was designed by performance shock and suggested track setup that was still comfortable to go on the streets were 550 front and 500 rear I believe. I'll get the details this,weekend but they literally just arrived.

As I said that is a true coilover which will almost put virtually equal spring rates front and rear.

Now the most amazing thing thus far is the incredible light weight design. The ttx46 is a huge mass of special aluminum that obviously is 46mm in diameter. I believe that is the biggest out there. These should really create a very strong rigid anchor for each corner especially with 3400 pound cars. So get this.
Ttx46 with springs, bumpstomps, and all pieces weighs only 9.8 pounds! In comparison each front edc damper weighs 12.6 pounds which is lighter than non etc. Ttx is twice the physical size but 3 pounds less.

The rear ttx36 with spring etc weigh a mere 7.2 pounds. 4.5 pounds,lighter than the own etc rear damper and spring weight .

So 14 pounds lost on parts I would have expected to gain given the size.

Install is,Tuesday then I'll be at chuckwalla next weekend.

At the same time I've been logging and,tweaking my schrick cams and epic race tune.

Build is coming nicely. I figured I could leave this,thread as a TTX journal and start documenting what I learn as I progress so maybe someone in future will find it helpful.

I almost,went with tried,asnd,true MCS 2 or 3 way which would have saved maybe 3k but figured why not go against the grain and give this a whirl !
Attached Images

2013 DCT ZCP Silverstone w/Silver/Novillo -Ohlins TTX 46/36 True Coilover 570F/450R-Delrin Subframe Bushings, Dinan Toe arm and Front Monoball, ECS RTA-Evolve Catless Xpipe, Schrick Cams 284/284 12mm Lift, BMC Filter, MS Pulley, EPIC 100 octane cam tune. PFC Front and Rear BBK, 19in Signature (9 and 10)-PSC2(275/255-35).BMW black chrome griles, gils, exhaust tips, M spoiler and M steering wheel, CSF Radiator/Oil Cooler

Last edited by 8600RPM; 11-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Pictures
Appreciate 6
///Mobbin1478.00
aus891.50
Maxf80M3174.00
buddalun679.00
tlrid3r513.50
roastbeef11586.00
      11-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

One more thing so folks can better compare, the only other suspension mods I have are solid subframe bushings, dinan monoball front control arm, dinan rear toe,warns, and was rear trailing arms
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Nice! Looking forward to your review.

What's the rebuild interval on the TTX?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I'll be at Chuckwalla next weekend as well. I'll keep my eye open for your beast of a car!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Beasts of car with lacking skillz lol. I do speed ventures second most advanced group. Maybe with more power asnd some,suspension I can run highest finally. My poor m3 with stock suspension can't h asng with all vettes,asnd porsches and cars in highest group lol. Text me your phone #
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

The weight saving is incredible. The OEM kit is very light. Lots of aftermarket products are often heavier..........yet people plenty of people don't find out.

I was reading your 1st post and thinking, 'I hope he's running solid rear sub frame bushes to gain maximum improvements, otherwise.....' and you already are.

With regards to the rear ring. I don't know about the road wing for the new M4 but the GT4 wing from BMW Motorsport is very efficient with regards to downforce vs drag. It is superior to the OEM GTS rear wing. You can probably find BMW Motorsport contacts online, if not let me know and I'll dig out mine.

Lastly, try and find a qualified chassis dynamacist to set your car up. I've read a few online reviews from owners moaning about how badly their M3s handled with some high-end kit that is solely due to lack of knowledge around setting a non-aero (chassis dynamic) car up. The front to rear rake is also important, more so given the speeds and cornering forces your car will achieve on the track - and it is mathematically calculated. Hence any qualified chassis engineer should be able to work it out.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Some folks have told me I was nuts and that I should just go by a z06 or GT3 if I am going to waste 10k on suspension but to me, compared to the fact people pay 5k for a bmw muffler, 10k on a world-class suspension (whether this or MCS, Motor or whatever) is a really sensible upgrade if tracking the car.
Whoever told you that is an idiot. If you attend Porsche track days you'll see that any GT3 that is even slightly fast and not a 991 (the only generation that is decently fast stock) is running MCS/JRZ whatever and is fully stripped out.

The joke is on them. Or on us, as apparently the M forum is full of P car fanboys who have never been out on track with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lol I do enjoy pounding on porsches. To be honest it is,the full caged race cars,and the vettes that simply pit power me and handle me despite me reat progressing this year as a driver.

I took the philosophy to ear this car pretty much stock and work on my,driving. With that I worked up to running the most advanced group and usually being middle of pack. I added a bbk early as that's simply needed but I held off until literally my last mod to do coilovers.

I feel I have progressed to a,relative plateau with stock suspension where my technique is being hampered by my car not keeping up. I mean of course there are,drivers that could take my car,and wipe off 5 seconds a lap but for me i have,studied, practiced etc and am at a plateau.

Plus I frankly want to whip the vetted ,and whoever else tends to outlaw me.

Most of all I have fun and adding one new,part at a time,really is fun and helps,me,really learn the car.

Wish more,of you were out in Cali! The one thing I won't do for awhike,is get full cage or,race,seats as all events I go to takes a,4 to 12 hour drive,with 2 people and need to fit tires,and gear in back and have comfy seats. So I'm missing 200 pound weight savings perhaps but oh well!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      11-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Wish more,of you were out in Cali! The one thing I won't do for awhike,is get full cage or,race,seats as all events I go to takes a,4 to 12 hour drive,with 2 people and need to fit tires,and gear in back and have comfy seats. So I'm missing 200 pound weight savings perhaps but oh well!
Clearly there are too many people busy modding the car instead of driving it. The stock suspension is incredible capable and unless you're in the fastest run group, mid pack, you should not upgrade IMO

I also drive the car to events and they're far, so race seats and a harness bar work but no extensive gutting. It helps to be young-ish to survive the trips hehe

I got 3 seconds off my best times with the MCS suspension with identical tires and it isn't fully dialed in. I think that is really the challenge with these setups
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Beautiful setup. Have you corner balanced?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Those look amazing!
sub'd for on track review
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Forgot to answer regarding rebuild.supppsed to last 40 track days or so and 15k mikes on street roughly whichisnt bad I don't think
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Congrats OP. Suspension looks SICK!!

As for the skill level, my first experience was when I was at my second event at Big Willow. I let an instructor pass on the back straight in a Mini (non S). Had to fully lift off. The was gone 4 turns later.
The second time was at Spring Mountain. Instructor in a E90 328 with a little over 200hp, stock run flats was tailgating a student in a Stingray and wouldn't pass. He just wanted to make him feel uncomfortable for a few turns. He was flying around when he finally took the pass.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #14
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Picked up my car and I am in love. Kept height at zcp height and j6st ripping around the streets it's truly like a different car altogether. Really excited to see how it does pushed to the limits this,weekend on the track.

Just need to install my wing after I get back and my car is,finally complete . Then its,off to dyno and fine tune my epic cam tune to extract q,few more up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Jesus can you spellcheck? Interesting thread, but painful to read
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #16
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I wasn't able to get to the track this last weekend but have 8 track days coming up over the next month so lots of time to try things out.

One thing that has fascinated me which many people post about when they get a good quality shock is how the ride comfort is literally more comfortable than edc on comfort despie having 550 springs in the front and 550 rear (true coilover) which would be more like a 850 spring on the rear with a divorced spring setup.

Setting wise out of 40 clicks I am exactly midway settings for compression and rebound so seems like valving is setup perfectly..

Have been very impressed with performance shock
2013 DCT ZCP Silverstone w/Silver/Novillo -Ohlins TTX 46/36 True Coilover 570F/450R-Delrin Subframe Bushings, Dinan Toe arm and Front Monoball, ECS RTA-Evolve Catless Xpipe, Schrick Cams 284/284 12mm Lift, BMC Filter, MS Pulley, EPIC 100 octane cam tune. PFC Front and Rear BBK, 19in Signature (9 and 10)-PSC2(275/255-35).BMW black chrome griles, gils, exhaust tips, M spoiler and M steering wheel, CSF Radiator/Oil Cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't able to get to the track this last weekend but have 8 track days coming up over the next month so lots of time to try things out.

One thing that has fascinated me which many people post about when they get a good quality shock is how the ride comfort is literally more comfortable than edc on comfort despie having 550 springs in the front and 550 rear (true coilover) which would be more like a 850 spring on the rear with a divorced spring setup.

Setting wise out of 40 clicks I am exactly midway settings for compression and rebound so seems like valving is setup perfectly..

Have been very impressed with performance shock
I was amazed that the ride quality with the Ohlins R&T was better than the competition EDC suspension even though the Ohlins springs are much stiffer.

The R&T dampers are excellent. Your dampers much be sublime.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #18
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I was amazed that the ride quality with the Ohlins R&T was better than the competition EDC suspension even though the Ohlins springs are much stiffer.

The R&T dampers are excellent. Your dampers much be sublime.
I don't think the ohlins R&T is much stiffer than stock
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

8600RPM Beautiful setup and congratulations!

Some questions for ya: Are you saying your new Ohlins are more comfortable than the OEM EDC suspension? Even in comfort mode on EDC? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #20
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I don't think the ohlins R&T is much stiffer than stock
The fronts are much stiffer. I haven't got the details to hand, it's not double but it is close. The rears I recall, are around 150 lb stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very nice! A true coil setup, am sure with some fine adjustments is going to perform!

Good pickup, props for going against the grain. Glad to still see dedicated E9X owners
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #22
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Very nice! A true coil setup, am sure with some fine adjustments is going to perform!

Good pickup, props for going against the grain. Glad to still see dedicated E9X owners
Im thinking a lot of sweet builds are on the horizon with the amount of us coming back from the F8x. .
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs542.00