BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #23
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Anxious for the update! Did you just swap in bypass pipes and the stage 2 flash, or anything more?
yeah rogue engineering test pipes, changed spark plugs and stage 2 flash although I had stage 1 before with rev limit removed up to 8600, stage 2 I left the rev limit to factory until oil is blackstone checked and rod bearings changed
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #24
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
It would be nice if we could get the raw data vs RPM as well has the number of times each type of program was dynoed.

Cheers,
Each program (stock file and stage 1) was dynoed on one pull
Getting raw data, the shop charges more and I donít want to pay more than I have too. Hell, one pull costs me $80 as opposed to NorCal, $60 for 3 pulls
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M33655.00

      07-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #25
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3655
Rep
3,742
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
It would be nice if we could get the raw data vs RPM as well has the number of times each type of program was dynoed.

Cheers,
Each program (stock file and stage 1) was dynoed on one pull
Getting raw data, the shop charges more and I don’t want to pay more than I have too. Hell, one pull costs me $80 as opposed to NorCal, $60 for 3 pulls
Start a go fund me page right here in the thread. Anyone with interest in the numbers would throw $5 in there to relieve your costs. I would.
Appreciate 1
Route 16586.00

      07-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #26
wyatth
Captain
248
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E90 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

^ I always think a dyno-asking crowd should chip in for someone's personal expenses. We all get the benefit of seeing scientifically tested setups.
Appreciate 2
Route 16586.00
tlow98912.00

      07-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #27
EnVe46
Captain
EnVe46's Avatar
514
Rep
887
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

I'll be following. I have alpine based off boofm3 advice and his tune is great. Noticeable power gains. I've been meaning to strap mine down but this will give a good idea
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M33655.00

      07-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #28
vincE92M3
Major
vincE92M3's Avatar
United_States
492
Rep
1,368
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
I'll be following. I have alpine based off boofm3 advice and his tune is great. Noticeable power gains. I've been meaning to strap mine down but this will give a good idea
I'm also planning to get the Alpine Stage 1 soon. I don't have an X-pipe/cat delete, nor do I plan to down the road. Are you also on stock pipes?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #29
MSY
Private First Class
18
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Promise you what happens is when you loaded the new tune, adaptions are reset and that accounts for a good chunk of a gain like this where your initial power is low. My bet is you have a ton of miles on your spark plugs and have never changed O2 sensors? Drive for a week and dyno again, I suspect ypuld drop right down to within 9hp of your base pull
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #30
EnVe46
Captain
EnVe46's Avatar
514
Rep
887
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
I'll be following. I have alpine based off boofm3 advice and his tune is great. Noticeable power gains. I've been meaning to strap mine down but this will give a good idea
I'm also planning to get the Alpine Stage 1 soon. I don't have an X-pipe/cat delete, nor do I plan to down the road. Are you also on stock pipes?
No, I have test pipes and exhaust with connecting pipes as well as MS intake. Stage 2 makes these cars absolute animals to the point you're never "used to" the power or acceleration. When I'm hammering it, I'll give a good chirp in third, not a faint chirp but a prominent chirp.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 2
vincE92M3492.00
94jedi233.50

      07-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #31
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY View Post
Promise you what happens is when you loaded the new tune, adaptions are reset and that accounts for a good chunk of a gain like this where your initial power is low. My bet is you have a ton of miles on your spark plugs and have never changed O2 sensors? Drive for a week and dyno again, I suspect ypuld drop right down to within 9hp of your base pull
Adaption reset...good...I have no clue about tuning and changing parameters

At the time of the stage 1 dyno pull, I had approx. 43k miles, original spark plugs, original o2 sensors
When I will dyno stage 2, it will be new spark plugs, original o2 sensors

I do give my car over a week and over a 100 miles before I dyno

Kindly pay for these dyno pulls that I should be doing and I will dyno again
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #32
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

So as a reference
Red is my stage 1 file on 92 octane-BMC intake filter, primary cats still on, 2ndaries and resonators deleted, iPE valved muffler, 8600 rev limit

Blue is stage 2, everything the same as above except rogue engineering test pipes and on stock rev limiter, new spark plugs (tune has been running for 200 miles before this dyno)

All on one pull reads since itís expensive for one pull here. All on 5th gear
Heat soak sucks even with a big ass fan even for +6HP gain, it would probably be more if I had the file with 8600 rev limit but until I do RB service, itíll stay on stock rev limit. I do not use burble files.

But this isnít the end for this stage 2 file.


skip to 29 sec, done by 2 min mark





Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #33
BPe90M3
Captain
BPe90M3's Avatar
United_States
185
Rep
740
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
So as a reference
Red is my stage 1 file on 92 octane-BMC intake filter, primary cats still on, 2ndaries and resonators deleted, iPE valved muffler, 8600 rev limit

Blue is stage 2, everything the same as above except rogue engineering test pipes and on stock rev limiter, new spark plugs (tune has been running for 200 miles before this dyno)

All on one pull reads since it’s expensive for one pull here. All on 5th gear
Heat soak sucks even with a big ass fan even for +6HP gain, it would probably be more if I had the file with 8600 rev limit but until I do RB service, it’ll stay on stock rev limit. I do not use burble files.

But this isn’t the end for this stage 2 file.


skip to 29 sec, done by 2 min mark





Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
So as a reference
Red is my stage 1 file on 92 octane-BMC intake filter, primary cats still on, 2ndaries and resonators deleted, iPE valved muffler, 8600 rev limit

Blue is stage 2, everything the same as above except rogue engineering test pipes and on stock rev limiter, new spark plugs (tune has been running for 200 miles before this dyno)

All on one pull reads since it's expensive for one pull here. All on 5th gear
Heat soak sucks even with a big ass fan even for +6HP gain, it would probably be more if I had the file with 8600 rev limit but until I do RB service, it'll stay on stock rev limit. I do not use burble files.

But this isn't the end for this stage 2 file.


skip to 29 sec, done by 2 min mark





Interesting. I would have thought deleting the primaries plus the stage 2 tube would net much more than 8 horsepower, then again you did mention the possibility of heat soak so that could be holding it back.

Regardless car sounds and looks the business.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #34
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPe90M3 View Post
Interesting. I would have thought deleting the primaries plus the stage 2 tube would net much more than 8 horsepower, then again you did mention the possibility of heat soak so that could be holding it back.

Regardless car sounds and looks the business.
That and that I didn't put that many miles and WOT as much as I should have. This Friday might be a good time to do that follow-up dyno.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Updated stage 2 dyno file follow up, still the same dyno I have been on since my baseline. Pulled up to 5th gear, power button was on, that button to decrease/increase rev sensitivity below the shift knob was all the way up.

4 runs total, cleared adaptations before the run. Since the last run what has changed...
700 miles later, between then and now I have done weekly WOT, street pulls, weather has gone from 92 degrees hot to 60 degrees cool.

So I also expected a bigger jump after each pull from the last baseline stage 2 pull of 348.18

Today, the highest was 349.54 HP....gain of 1.36HP

Considering my baseline was 318. I am happy that I gained 31HP overall. Now to me that just translates transferring more of that power to the wheels with other mechanical mods...CF driveshaft will be in its future. I'm still happy with the GTS DCT file and engine file.

So for those considering the upgrade from
baseline 318HP to stage 1 342HP....24HP gain
baseline 318HP to stage 2 349HP....31HP gain
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #36
sibhusz06
Private First Class
48
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Reading this post and MSY made an interesting comment about the engines adaptations, as when i initially loaded the stage 1 alpine engine tune for 93, i noticed a increase but after a month of driving, i dont quite feel the same pep anymore. Im guessing the engine initially runs rich until it can lean out to optimize air fuel ratios/spark timing and adaptations change as a result.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #37
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
Reading this post and MSY made an interesting comment about the engines adaptations, as when i initially loaded the stage 1 alpine engine tune for 93, i noticed a increase but after a month of driving, i dont quite feel the same pep anymore. Im guessing the engine initially runs rich until it can lean out to optimize air fuel ratios/spark timing and adaptations change as a result.
Other than the times I cleared adaptations when I uploaded the flash files. I have never cleared adaptations right before dyno pulls. Seeing that it only made a 1 1/2 HP gain...would it matter if I did or didn't?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
427
Rep
3,633
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

My stock dynojet on my 2013..



It was at a Mustang shop had no affiliation with BMW. Something is amiss..dyno was in 5th gear.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 10-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #39
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
My stock dynojet on my 2013..

It was at a Mustang shop had no affiliation with BMW. Something is amiss..dyno was in 5th gear.

Dave
345, that's awesome, one day I'll go to another dyno and see what it makes, maybe at EAS one day. Shop mentioned the dyno in the shop is 30 years old...I dunno if that makes a difference but I think the main point of my thread is me shifting my mindset that no matter what file/tune flashed. There is a definite upgrade and quantitative.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #40
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
427
Rep
3,633
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
345, that's awesome, one day I'll go to another dyno and see what it makes, maybe at EAS one day. Shop mentioned the dyno in the shop is 30 years old...I dunno if that makes a difference but I think the main point of my thread is me shifting my mindset that no matter what file/tune flashed. There is a definite upgrade and quantitative.
Yea I would as well. You should see more than 7rwhp with the test pipes. Test pipes alone should be worth 15-21rwhp.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow VMRV810 19x10&19X11 275/295 Mich PSS.
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #41
Rochen_00
Enlisted Member
Rochen_00's Avatar
9
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Catalonia

iTrader: (0)

Route 16 What mechanical mods have you made in your car with stage 2 of alex?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #42
94jedi
Lieutenant
234
Rep
425
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Interesting, I'm Stg2 as well. I should dyno my car. I'm basically FBO, without headers and/or e85 on 93. 6spd. If I had to guess, I'm around 380, but now, not so sure.
__________________
Alpinemss Tuned | MS Stage 2 Intake | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #43
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
427
Rep
3,633
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Segundo, CA

iTrader: (1)

The final number is not really important. It's the delta, only 7rwhp from test pipes is low.
Appreciate 1
94jedi233.50

      10-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #44
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
586
Rep
6,941
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
Route 16 What mechanical mods have you made in your car with stage 2 of alex?
bmc air filter, rogue engineering test pipes, oem midpipe with 2ndary cats and resonators deleted, ipe muffler
rev limit is still stock, I did not bring it back to 8600 until my rod bearings are done
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST