BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

M3 Convertible Question - Looking to go 3 cars down to 1

Long story short, I currently own a 2009 Corvette, a 2012 GTI, and a 94 Miata R. All three are manual. They all excel in their given areas: speed, comfort (compared to the other two), and handling. I don't race, but enjoy spirited driving. Mostly though, I just commute and drive around with the family at this point. I love open tops and manual transmissions, so those two are sort of musts. I am looking to pare things down to one vehicle and it looks like I can get a low mileage used M3 convertible for what I can sell these three for, so cost isn't a factor. Basically, my question is, if you have owned any of these vehicles, what kind of trade-offs that aren't readily apparent can one expect? Given what I am looking for, do you guys think I would be happy with a newish M3 convertible? Any other insights or tips about the M3 convertible in particular are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Well I went from a 2013 Boxster S 6 speed to a 2013 DCT M3 convertible. Also have a 6 speed M5 so I am biased towards manuals. The M3 feels much heavier and substantial and not as quick or nimble. Not a fan of the hardtop convertibles, prefer the cloth. I kinda like the DCT but still prefer the 6 speed, but if you need a backseat and a trunk (although very small with the M3 top down) then the M3 fills the bill. Bottom line is you can't get everything in one car and I like the M3 more everyday. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

I have an E93 M and I would not have it as the family car.
The back seat is such that either the person in front is comfortable or the person in back is comfortable but not both. The e46 convertible, on the other hand, is a more roomier car; but, that's not what you're looking for.
Also, I've found that, generally speaking, women are not that excited about riding with the top down. Something to do with the hair flying around. They seem to tolerate it if the windows and the windscreen (a must) are up. But, if you have have a family member in back, the windscreen is out and the wind is in again.
It appears the convertible suits you; but, you might want to keep that GTI around for a while - at least until the family adjusts to your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

Thanks for the insightful tips. I should probably share a bit more about the situation. My wife is on board and actually is the on who suggested it. I am looking to get down to one car because one or the other of the "summer" cars is always getting neglected. I just don't drive enough to justify them all. I have two girls, aged 2 and 3.5, and expect one will fit in the back in one of my Recaro child seats and the other is just about ready for a Recaro booster. I do realize that it will not be as easy to grab them from the back when we do take them along, but I really only pick them up or drop them off once or twice a week. It is more to have the ability to do so in case something unexpected comes up. The wife currently drives an Infiniti G sedan and we are going to be looking for something new for her soon. It will probably be something bigger, although she is in love with the Tesla S at the moment. I think I will miss the Miata the most, trying to keep it. It only has 67k miles and they just don't make them like that anymore (manual steering, crank windows, power nothing).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

My 5 year old fits in her car seat in the back with ease. She doesn't like the top down, but with the windows up and top down, I can get her to at least tolerate it.
I haven't owned any of your cars, but I can say I am a convertible guy, and love the E93. Had an E46 vert too. This one is MUCH better. Heavy, sure, shakes like any convertible over bumpy uneven roads...it's what they are. No more no less.
I am a manual guy too. Always have been. Hated the SMG and tiptronic like autos. The DCT? Wow! I was sold the first time I drove one. Good luck on your search.
Bill
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I think the e93 M3 will be a great choice. It will certainly be a compromise and will not be as good as each car in some aspects but will excel in others. M3 will never be as nimble as the miata, but it will still handle very well. It won't be as powerful as the corvette but the S65 is a very special engine and you will feel like you are driving something different. It definitely won't sip fuel like the GTI and you will get literally 1/2 the mpg or less but it is in most cases a very reliable car.

Having a back seat even though it's small makes a big difference vs a 2 seater. The trunk is big enough for a briefcase with the top down but with the top up it's as roomy as a e92. I love that the e93 is such an all around car and it's definitely the reason why I got one. The mpg is really as bad as everyone says it is, which is the only small complaint I have, but it's all forgiven when I hear the engine screaming at 8300rpm!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
I was never really crazy about convertibles. But since the move from Toronto to San Diego my wife and I have sold, and driven our respective vehicles into the ground. She bought an older Porsche Boxster S that she fell in love with and since then I've grown to like the idea of having the choice to take the top down from time to time. I'm not crazy about the soft tops but as a compromise I wanted the hard top convertible and the "2" extra seats. Choices were very limited, but for sure I wanted to buy something I would enjoy driving as a DD. You will enjoy the M3 for sure. For me having the extra space for golf clubs is nice

jonesy...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

IMO the biggest problem with the M3 convertible is that it weights more, and makes the car slower. I feel the need for more power in my coupe, thats why i cant see myself waiting one.

the convertible is heavier, plus its not torque LS3 engine either. i think you will like the looks, and interior of the car. But the power might lack.
Appreciate 0