BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

09-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car. Vrooom.

Maintenance Plan/warranty--- Brake/Rotor replacement

My front brake is reading about 5mm left.
CBS states that I will get front brakes replaced in 9000 miles

I dont think I can go 9000 on 5mm of pads.
Will BMW replace the pads and rotor if it gets down to 3-4mm before I hit CBS? I may have to replace it out of pocket....if they dont replaced it.

I.e. Like the oil change..You get a free annual low mile oil change regardless of CBS.....and still get an oil change at CBS.

Whats OEM pad thickness for front brakes/Rear brakes?

Thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

It will be under maintenance if you still have coverage. They'll replace the rotors and pads if under spec. OEM thickness is 30.00 mm. Discard thickness is 28.4mm. Brake pads minimum thickness is 3mm I believe.
      09-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Time for some hard panic stops every chance you get.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
It will be under maintenance if you still have coverage. They'll replace the rotors and pads if under spec. OEM thickness is 30.00 mm. Discard thickness is 28.4mm. Brake pads minimum thickness is 3mm I believe.

I know with Maint. plan...they replace rotors and pad when CBS tell them to do so. But I dont think CBS is that accurate.

I have 5mm on the front pads left....and 9000 miles to go. I dont think I can go 9000 miles on 5mm of pads left..

If I get down to 3mm or 2mm, and the CBS states 2000 miles remaining, would the dealer replace pads (and rotor if necessary) OUTSIDE OF CBS?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTROJANSFIGHTON View Post
I know with Maint. plan...they replace rotors and pad when CBS tell them to do so. But I dont think CBS is that accurate.

I have 5mm on the front pads left....and 9000 miles to go. I dont think I can go 9000 miles on 5mm of pads left..

If I get down to 3mm or 2mm, and the CBS states 2000 miles remaining, would the dealer replace pads (and rotor if necessary) OUTSIDE OF CBS?
Yes they would. The CBS is mainly used as a guide, but if they measure it to be under the requirements they will replace it if you're still within maintenance timeframe.

They will replace the pads and rotors at the same time.
      09-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
Yes they would. The CBS is mainly used as a guide, but if they measure it to be under the requirements they will replace it if you're still within maintenance timeframe.

They will replace the pads and rotors at the same time.

The reason I ask is because if people track their car...they would burn through pads and rotor within 6 months-1 year,..... Would BMW continue to replace their pads/rotor every 6 months- 1 years (under the 4 year/50000 warranty/maint plan) vs the avg driver would take about 3-4 years under normal driving condition...
hahha
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTROJANSFIGHTON View Post
The reason I ask is because if people track their car...they would burn through pads and rotor within 6 months-1 year,..... Would BMW continue to replace their pads/rotor every 6 months- 1 years (under the 4 year/50000 warranty/maint plan) vs the avg driver would take about 3-4 years under normal driving condition...
hahha

Anecdotally, I will tell you that two different service advisors have said BMW does replace them in those circumstances. I suppose if you were to take gross advantage of it, and get new rotors 4 times a year, it's going to raise some red flags.

One of the above SAs also said that BMW knows people track their cars and design the rotors to be nice and beefy to take that punishment. The manufacturing cost to make the rotors a bit thicker, and the minor handling hit, far outweigh repeated replacement costs.
      09-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #8
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Anecdotally, I will tell you that two different service advisors have said BMW does replace them in those circumstances. I suppose if you were to take gross advantage of it, and get new rotors 4 times a year, it's going to raise some red flags.

One of the above SAs also said that BMW knows people track their cars and design the rotors to be nice and beefy to take that punishment. The manufacturing cost to make the rotors a bit thicker, and the minor handling hit, far outweigh repeated replacement costs.

Thanks for info!
Appreciate 0