BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Gintani Sport Installed - Thoughts / Pics / Vids

Hi guys,

Have had a couple of days now with the Gintani Sport. What an exhaust. For those debating on variously priced exhausts I will post some quick thoughts below to help guide you.

- It is very hard to hear exhaust sounds based on youtube clips. Even based on my own recording, its hard to capture the sound spectrum (High/Low) and perceived volumes unless you do it in person. This is imperitive.
- It is a LOUD exhaust. When I say LOUD, i mean it. Do not even consider the race unless you truely do not value your eardrums, nor your neighbors.
- It is a very bassy exhaust. The sounds it produces are incredible, auditory rythm that is most prominent on the LOW and HIGH rpms, in the mid-band the intake roar takes over.
- There is a low frequency boom (Drone?) most prominent between 1800-2800rpm in lower loads. My sensitive ears are still acclimatising, but it completely drowns out everything and hence this is not a completely drone less solution.

Build quality is superb and the tips look fantastic. I see no need to stick gaudy branding on the exhaust tips and Gintani agree, the double walling is fantastic and really stick out. Would I recommend this exhaust? Definately, but be prepared it is LOUD Most definately one of the best sounding exhausts on the market - I don't get why you would want something so close to stock (Akra slip on, Eis Sport, BMW Perf).

On cold start on my iPhone app it idled at 100db, settling to 90db.

I will post some more vids tomorrow of me giving it to it.

Proper vids to follow but here is a cold start idle to tease
Attached Images

Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Looks nice. Glad you are happy with your decision. Need those vids givin it some!

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

awesome exhaust
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
cntgetm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Are you running a x-pipe w that exhaust?
      10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntgetm3 View Post
Are you running a x-pipe w that exhaust?
Nope just rear section only. No way in hell I'd consider running an X-Pipe unless I went valvetronic and had the option to quiet it down.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Amazing how subjective sound is hahaha. I have the sport with the x pipe and I'm going to be either getting the race set-up or custom mufflers built soon because I felt the sport was to tame. Maybe because when I got it I had read all sorts of posts with people saying it was crazy loud and I was expecting my windows to shatter when I first got it but I've found it fine for normal driving. Just goes to show ya lol
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Amazing how subjective sound is hahaha. I have the sport with the x pipe and I'm going to be either getting the race set-up or custom mufflers built soon because I felt the sport was to tame. Maybe because when I got it I had read all sorts of posts with people saying it was crazy loud and I was expecting my windows to shatter when I first got it but I've found it fine for normal driving. Just goes to show ya lol
Haha yep definately. Makes my premium sound option a waste of time now lol.. Maybe the boys accidentally sent me a race
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I had the sport xpipe with the gintani catless xpipe and it became NOTICEABLY louder when I got the supercharger and it became very droney and unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324
I had the sport xpipe with the gintani catless xpipe and it became NOTICEABLY louder when I got the supercharger and it became very droney and unbearable.
Again hahaha, too each his own. I started with just rear section an pieced it together but my car is supercharged with the Gintani X-pipe and the sport rear and I think it's just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
nice! add your readings to this thread if you can. would help out big time:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739512
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Haha yep definately. Makes my premium sound option a waste of time now lol.. Maybe the boys accidentally sent me a race
I felt the same. It was louder than what I expected but it grew on me. After my tune it got quiet. Now I'm in the market for either a gintani hfc or challenge sport x pipe to make it louder.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Hahaha, remember you just came from stock that has no sound at all so this will appear loud at first. I was seriously worried that it would be too quiet for you! The crew at Gintani USA are reluctant to do a race system as that is truly loud and you would know about it t you had it! You really have to want the full race system for them to produce it.
I've included some videos here of mine which is the valved sport with X-pipe and HFC. The car will soon be supercharged when the guys finish the new manifold, so I'll post vids of that too and likely change the HFC to a resonated system only.
The video inside the car going down the track is recorded with internal and external microphones to give more of a realistic effect of the sound with windows down going full bore. There are a couple of repeat scenes in these vids but overall they are quite close to the real sound (using professional mics)

Tried to cover about every situation of driving with this system including a view of the whole system being installed. This system is a lot louder than yours but the valves make a huge difference when you want to go semi stealth.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post

Hahaha, remember you just came from stock that has no sound at all so this will appear loud at first. I was seriously worried that it would be too quiet for you! The crew at Gintani USA are reluctant to do a race system as that is truly loud and you would know about it t you had it! You really have to want the full race system for them to produce it.
I've included some videos here of mine which is the valved sport with X-pipe and HFC. The car will soon be supercharged when the guys finish the new manifold, so I'll post vids of that too and likely change the HFC to a resonated system only.
The video inside the car going down the track is recorded with internal and external microphones to give more of a realistic effect of the sound with windows down going full bore. There are a couple of repeat scenes in these vids but overall they are quite close to the real sound (using professional mics)

Tried to cover about every situation of driving with this system including a view of the whole system being installed. This system is a lot louder than yours but the valves make a huge difference when you want to go semi stealth.

Amazing!
Do you think the sport w/o custom valves and hfc and a tune would be too much for daily driving?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Nicname;12779468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee
Amazing!
Do you think the sport w/o custom valves and hfc and a tune would be too much for daily driving?
No, I find it perfect. This car is my daily drive and I can't wait to get in it every day. Once again subjective, but with the valves closed it is quiet.
The only time Gintani (sport) systems seem to be loud is when you accelerate heavily. I've had every major brand on now (catback and full systems) and love this the most, in fact it is the only one I like.
The valves alter the pitch slightly so there is less of a really deep sound, more of an aggressive roar, which was the design intention, not so much to make the system quiet, but reduce any drone. The idle volume is just nice and does not attract too much attention, open the valves and windows though, and give it some acceleration and it becomes a monster. I think the ideal exhaust is the sport as a catback and the valved sport with the X-Pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee;12779761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post

No, I find it perfect. This car is my daily drive and I can't wait to get in it every day. Once again subjective, but with the valves closed it is quiet.
The only time Gintani (sport) systems seem to be loud is when you accelerate heavily. I've had every major brand on now (catback and full systems) and love this the most, in fact it is the only one I like.
The valves alter the pitch slightly so there is less of a really deep sound, more of an aggressive roar, which was the design intention, not so much to make the system quiet, but reduce any drone. The idle volume is just nice and does not attract too much attention, open the valves and windows though, and give it some acceleration and it becomes a monster. I think the ideal exhaust is the sport as a catback and the valved sport with the X-Pipe
I see but I don't have the valved option. Just the plain sport cat back. Do you find yourself able to roll around town and the highway with the valves open?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Nicname;12779829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post

I see but I don't have the valved option. Just the plain sport cat back. Do you find yourself able to roll around town and the highway with the valves open?
You have the Gintani Sport? If you add a X-pipe it will be quite a bit louder but I drive round town often with the valves open, that would be exactly the same as adding an X-Pipe to a straight sport. The HFC option is the quietest unless you need to go full catless, then I would suggest the quad resonated.
I would not have any problem at all with your proposed set up, but it comes down to personal taste. Depending where you live there may be a setup near that you could listen to
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post

You have the Gintani Sport? If you add a X-pipe it will be quite a bit louder but I drive round town often with the valves open, that would be exactly the same as adding an X-Pipe to a straight sport. The HFC option is the quietest unless you need to go full catless, then I would suggest the quad resonated.
I would not have any problem at all with your proposed set up, but it comes down to personal taste. Depending where you live there may be a setup near that you could listen to
I've searched. My best bet was at bimmerfest but I couldn't go. I think I'm sold on the hfc with resonators. 300 cell cats right?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Nicname;12781274]
Quote:
I've searched. My best bet was at bimmerfest but I couldn't go. I think I'm sold on the hfc with resonators. 300 cell cats right?
Well if you were in Surfers Paradise Australia I'd be happy to take you for a run:-) Yes the cats are 300 CPI, so no strong fuel smell like other X-pipes with 100 CPSI cats .You will find Alex or Nick at Gintani a wealth of information and enormous help if you are in USA. A Gintani tune is also a must if you are doing an X-pipe, you will get more advantage of the power gains of the X-pipe with a tune. Nice thing about that is the cable will carry you from a cat delete to a supercharger ECU remapping and back to stock if you ever decide to sell.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Sales@Gintani.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E92 M3

Glad you are enjoying the exhaust as much as we do.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

One of the best sounding systems ive had on my car !
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=DaveDee]
Quote:
Quote:
Well if you were in Surfers Paradise Australia I'd be happy to take you for a run:-) Yes the cats are 300 CPI, so no strong fuel smell like other X-pipes with 100 CPSI cats .You will find Alex or Nick at Gintani a wealth of information and enormous help if you are in USA. A Gintani tune is also a must if you are doing an X-pipe, you will get more advantage of the power gains of the X-pipe with a tune. Nice thing about that is the cable will carry you from a cat delete to a supercharger ECU remapping and back to stock if you ever decide to sell.
Thanks or everything! I have a velos tune already though
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0