BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
jaehshim
Major
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NE

iTrader: (3)

tips from Chicago ppl needed!

hey guys,
my name is Jae with an E90 M3 from NYC/NJ area.
I'm planning to stay in Chicago for 4~6 weeks around Norwegian American Hospital (60622), and wondering a few things

1. I plan to drive there, either M3 or my cheap daily. I really want to take the M3 (i've done a lot of NJ -> Univ of Michigan trips yrs ago when I was in college and loved it, also wanna make a few trips on the way and back). I'm wondering how the neighborhood around that hospital (60622) is. I was informed that the hospital parking is fine, just wondering if it's "safe" around that neighborhood. I'm from NYC and I know how bad a "city commute/parking" can be.

2. I've searched a few Air Bnb places around 60622 and prices seem to vary A LOT ($800~3000 a month). Where's a decent place to get housing IN CITY, or maybe nice,quiet SUBURB area (since I'll have my car I can commute)?

thanks guys!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
m3jala
Lieutenant
260
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tysons Corner, VA

iTrader: (0)

Not from Chicago but enjoy the trip bro. Make sure you make it work with the m3 or you will be cursing yourself on the highways and as you cross the Appalachians!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
BOOF-M3's Avatar
United_States
3565
Rep
3,704
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Pasadena Florida

iTrader: (1)

Ngilbe36 but I could be totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1776
Rep
6,408
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
hey guys,
my name is Jae with an E90 M3 from NYC/NJ area.
I'm planning to stay in Chicago for 4~6 weeks around Norwegian American Hospital (60622), and wondering a few things

1. I plan to drive there, either M3 or my cheap daily. I really want to take the M3 (i've done a lot of NJ -> Univ of Michigan trips yrs ago when I was in college and loved it, also wanna make a few trips on the way and back). I'm wondering how the neighborhood around that hospital (60622) is. I was informed that the hospital parking is fine, just wondering if it's "safe" around that neighborhood. I'm from NYC and I know how bad a "city commute/parking" can be.

2. I've searched a few Air Bnb places around 60622 and prices seem to vary A LOT ($800~3000 a month). Where's a decent place to get housing IN CITY, or maybe nice,quiet SUBURB area (since I'll have my car I can commute)?

thanks guys!

60622 includes some very popular & trendy neighborhoods like Wicker Park, hence the high prices. You will definitely enjoy that part of the city if you want easy access to food, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. However, that zipcode also includes and borders some less-desirable neighborhoods which is why you are seeing some very cheap stuff. It's a very dense part of the city and parking around there is going to suck. Many people there either don't have a car or they're content to just let it sit on the street and get bashed up.

If you are trying to stay near that hospital, my advice is to use something like Spot Hero and do a monthly garage rental somewhere in the vicinity. This will keep the car off the street but you may need to walk a few blocks to fetch it. I did a quick check on Spot Hero and there are secured garages for about $250/month, which seems like a good price to keep the car safe. PM me if you want a referral code or anything. If you can't find stuff on Spot Hero, try searching Craigslist for a personal private garage -- maybe someone has an extra spot you can rent for a month.

Otherwise, I would say stay somewhere else in the city with better parking and more choice in housing. You can just use public transit or Lyft/taxi to get to the hospital. We have very good public transit and a lot of amazing neighborhoods to experience.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 1
jaehshim376.00

      07-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
jaehshim
Major
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NE

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
60622 includes some very popular & trendy neighborhoods like Wicker Park, hence the high prices. You will definitely enjoy that part of the city if you want easy access to food, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. However, that zipcode also includes and borders some less-desirable neighborhoods which is why you are seeing some very cheap stuff. It's a very dense part of the city and parking around there is going to suck. Many people there either don't have a car or they're content to just let it sit on the street and get bashed up.

If you are trying to stay near that hospital, my advice is to use something like Spot Hero and do a monthly garage rental somewhere in the vicinity. This will keep the car off the street but you may need to walk a few blocks to fetch it. I did a quick check on Spot Hero and there are secured garages for about $250/month, which seems like a good price to keep the car safe. PM me if you want a referral code or anything. If you can't find stuff on Spot Hero, try searching Craigslist for a personal private garage -- maybe someone has an extra spot you can rent for a month.

Otherwise, I would say stay somewhere else in the city with better parking and more choice in housing. You can just use public transit or Lyft/taxi to get to the hospital. We have very good public transit and a lot of amazing neighborhoods to experience.
Thank you for a detailed comment!
My friends recommended Logan square, South Loop, West Loop or Trip Taylor, price seems to be pretty high and Parking seems to be pretty bad. Honestly, parking is quite important for me lol

I'm looking for Sub $1000/month Air BnB with nice house parking (not street) OUTSIDE of downtown, which suburb town (maybe within ~20 min driving) outside of 60622 do you recommend?
I have close relative living in Schamburg but it's quite far from 60622, but Schamburg is the type of neighborhood I'm looking for, i'm happy to drive ~20min commute daily to the hospital
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
acevo8
Private
0
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (1)

The south loop or west loop is a good location but similarly with wicker park, most folks that live there don't really own cars.

I would recommend you look at any of those, west loop, south loop, wicker park, or Lincoln Park with parking spots for you. You have to keep in mind that "20 mins" commute is subjective here in Chicago. Any suburb outside of the city will net you 30-1 hour during rush hour periods, our traffic is pretty bad throughout the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1776
Rep
6,408
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Thank you for a detailed comment!
My friends recommended Logan square, South Loop, West Loop or Trip Taylor, price seems to be pretty high and Parking seems to be pretty bad. Honestly, parking is quite important for me lol

I'm looking for Sub $1000/month Air BnB with nice house parking (not street) OUTSIDE of downtown, which suburb town (maybe within ~20 min driving) outside of 60622 do you recommend?
I have close relative living in Schamburg but it's quite far from 60622, but Schamburg is the type of neighborhood I'm looking for, i'm happy to drive ~20min commute daily to the hospital

Areas like River North will have ample parking since it's all high-rise buildings with garages, but those are also more expensive units and you're paying for the location. It's hard to find a decent apartment to rent there for under $1800/month, and that's before you fork over $250/month for parking.

Another alternative might be to look a bit further north but still within city limits, such as Ravenswood, Andersonville, or Edgewater. They are safe neighborhoods and are mostly houses/apartments (no high rises), and people there do tend to own cars a bit more. You will need to travel further to get to nightlife and such. South Loop is a good bargain though still expensive, relatively close to the action, has parking, but can get sketchy very quickly if you aren't familiar with things.

Schaumburg is far from downtown. You could take Metra (commuter rail), but even that will be 30-40 minutes each way and then you're dependent on the train schedule. The only suburb that I would say is okay and still close to the city is probably Oak Park. You can't even get from city limits to the hospital you mentioned in 20 minutes by car during rush hour, as someone else said. You can avoid rush hour by leaving at 5am and then getting out just after lunch, lol.

Honestly, if you are going to be downtown for 6 weeks, don't bring your car. As you can see, it really complicates things and adds considerable cost. You need to pick two things: safe, cheap, car-friendly. Where I live, it's safe and car friendly...but not cheap.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Mike@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
471
Rep
1,006
Posts


Drives: 997.2 S
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Areas like River North will have ample parking since it's all high-rise buildings with garages, but those are also more expensive units and you're paying for the location. It's hard to find a decent apartment to rent there for under $1800/month, and that's before you fork over $250/month for parking.

Another alternative might be to look a bit further north but still within city limits, such as Ravenswood, Andersonville, or Edgewater. They are safe neighborhoods and are mostly houses/apartments (no high rises), and people there do tend to own cars a bit more. You will need to travel further to get to nightlife and such. South Loop is a good bargain though still expensive, relatively close to the action, has parking, but can get sketchy very quickly if you aren't familiar with things.

Schaumburg is far from downtown. You could take Metra (commuter rail), but even that will be 30-40 minutes each way and then you're dependent on the train schedule. The only suburb that I would say is okay and still close to the city is probably Oak Park. You can't even get from city limits to the hospital you mentioned in 20 minutes by car during rush hour, as someone else said. You can avoid rush hour by leaving at 5am and then getting out just after lunch, lol.

Honestly, if you are going to be downtown for 6 weeks, don't bring your car. As you can see, it really complicates things and adds considerable cost. You need to pick two things: safe, cheap, car-friendly. Where I live, it's safe and car friendly...but not cheap.
+1 to this. I'd probably be looking at Ravenswood / Oak Park if you're trying to keep your commute relatively short. I don't live too far from Schaumburg, but it has taken me anywhere from 40 minutes to over 2 hours to get downtown sometimes.

Would be cool to see another E90 stop by for some IND treatment if you do decide to bring it!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
mkPOTO's Avatar
451
Rep
16,617
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (25)

Garage List
send me a pm. I am close to where you want to stay and have a buddy who will Airbnb you if you would like. I also have an open garage spot if you are interested as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
jaehshim
Major
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
376
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NE

iTrader: (3)

thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
send me a pm. I am close to where you want to stay and have a buddy who will Airbnb you if you would like. I also have an open garage spot if you are interested as well.
PMed, Thx!
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST