BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

07-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
kosz888
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp Manual

Interior Soft Touch Paint Repair

Does anyone know of a place that can repaint\fix the soft touch paint on my interior, the dashboard plastics around the A\C and stereo seem to be affected the most?
Anyone in Brisbane had this done?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosz888 View Post
Does anyone know of a place that can repaint\fix the soft touch paint on my interior, the dashboard plastics around the A\C and stereo seem to be affected the most?
Anyone in Brisbane had this done?
I've seen people use plastidip with some success. I'd just replace the parts.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #3
kosz888
Private
Rep

thanks, when i first bought the car someone told me about a place that can do it though I didn't take the name down as it wasn't an issue at the time.
I'll wait and see if anyone else has had an experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

There's no point to repair the soft rubber coating as it will just melt again. Same thing for replacing with new part. Best thing to do is to remove it completely.

Use alcohol to rub and completely remove the coating. Then spray it with matte black spray paint. Good as new and permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
kosz888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
There's no point to repair the soft rubber coating as it will just melt again. Same thing for replacing with new part. Best thing to do is to remove it completely.

Use alcohol to rub and completely remove the coating. Then spray it with matte black spray paint. Good as new and permanent fix.
yeah I'm not looking to replace the paint with the same soft touch paint as it will only start to peel off later down the track. I'm happy with a different type of paint as long as its stronger. I am looking for a professional finish as I've painted interior parts myself before only to be disappointed with it peeling after a short time. I used a recommended interior paint though it didn't stick very well. Maybe my preparation and painting method wasn't the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I believe there was a change in the LCI cars to these parts, they don't seem to suffer the same fate as the pre-LCI cars.

Every pre-LCI car I looked at had flaking soft-touch, none of the LCI cars (including the one I bought) did.

Perhaps look to pickup replacement LCI pieces.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosz888 View Post
yeah I'm not looking to replace the paint with the same soft touch paint as it will only start to peel off later down the track. I'm happy with a different type of paint as long as its stronger. I am looking for a professional finish as I've painted interior parts myself before only to be disappointed with it peeling after a short time. I used a recommended interior paint though it didn't stick very well. Maybe my preparation and painting method wasn't the best.
I used normal rattle can matte black spray paint. Hasn't come off yet in a few years. Just make sure your surface is properly wiped down with alcohol, clean and dry, before spraying. Been doing it for a few cars.
Appreciate 0