BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #111
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
All this was discussed in the thread.
I'm just going off first page and the install post, no where does it say that a full x pipe was installed. In the install thread it obviously looks like a section of an x pipe was installed but it doesn't mention if the secondary Oem cats were retained. To the average person viewing this thread and only reads first post with numbers and install post which would be a good chunk of new people viewing this thread since there's 100+ posts now they would think that just the headers are giving +15 more than test pipes which is not true.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #112
rmeitz167
bmw tech
Rep
Drives: g80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalcoding View Post
Then the results aren't technically +15 over test pipes. Secondary cat delete gives a bump in power as well. Why didn't op just put the headers on with sticks pipe and test pipes and report back?
Pretty sure the headers move the mounting point past the oem spot so thats not possible without a custom built setup...hence why it comes with its own
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #113
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm just going off first page and the install post, no where does it say that a full x pipe was installed. In the install thread it obviously looks like a section of an x pipe was installed but it doesn't mention if the secondary Oem cats were retained. To the average person viewing this thread and only reads first post with numbers and install post which would be a good chunk of new people viewing this thread since there's 100+ posts now they would think that just the headers are giving +15 more than test pipes which is not true.
Did you read the first paragraph?
I really can't help you if you don't care to read anything or look at the pictures and think for yourself. I would hope the average person can read better.

Yes, I mentioned this is two mods in one and it's fully catless. The pictures clearly show it includes an xpipe/midsection as with all headers they can't maintain the stock header back flange due to the headers ended further back than the stock ones, it was mentioned several times in this thread. Catless means the secondary cats are now removed, sorry I didn't spoon feed you.

Anyways, I've provided more info than previously available I'm sure others are thankful of that. If you want to nit pick at my writing because you dont want to read everything go ahead, I don't claim to be a professional journalist or story teller.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #114
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Then the results aren't technically +15 over test pipes. Secondary cat delete gives a bump in power as well. Why didn't op just put the headers on with sticks pipe and test pipes and report back?
Again, I wanted a catless setup as mentioned in the first paragraph. Perhaps you can try what you mentioned out and report back.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      07-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #115
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igM3NACER View Post
Does anyone know if this was on a mustang dyno? Numbers seem low. But definitely no question that the headers made 15 whp over test pipes😅 im sure im not the only one buying now
The dyno graphs show it is a dyno jet.

Yes peak numbers are not as high as some other dynos, but also consider it was in 96F florida heat and humidity. Also who knows how this dyno compares to others, comparing peak numbers aren't always apples to apples. It's the Delta that matters more.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #116
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

I'd really be interested in hearing this setup with a stock muffler. Those really wake up with headers and cat deletes.

Have you decided on your muffler replacement yet? Or are you still going forward with the Eisenmann?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #117
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Have you decided on your muffler replacement yet? Or are you still going forward with the Eisenmann?
I am actually enjoying how it sounds with the CNT for now, still may pickup an Eisenmann Race some day in the future if I find a good deal on one but right now I am enjoying it as is.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #118
bmw___m___power
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

your neighbors probably hate you for how loud it must be on cold starts
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #119
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Hey tdott, can you describe how the headers changed the sound? I have most of the mods same as you and am looking for a higher pitch more exotic car sound. Do these Becker headers do that?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #120
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw___m___power View Post
your neighbors probably hate you for how loud it must be on cold starts
I actually have the cold start turned off with my tune so it's not that bad actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Hey tdott, can you describe how the headers changed the sound? I have most of the mods same as you and am looking for a higher pitch more exotic car sound. Do these Becker headers do that?
Hard to describe, watch both videos to get an idea of it.
I wouldn't say it's that high pitched exotic sounding as other setups but it does have a nice howl. The best i can say from before is it's actually less bassy and more throaty sounding. I think an Eisenmann Race would pair nicely with it and give it more of that exotic sound you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #121
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Great writeup tdott and thanks for posting the DIY on the website. You inspired me to pull the trigger on headers. My wallet is mad at you, my car will love it.

Off topic question: were you able to turn off cold start with a coding change or does it have to be a tuner level change? Thanks bro!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #122
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte869h View Post
Off topic question: were you able to turn off cold start with a coding change or does it have to be a tuner level change? Thanks bro!
Thanks

A tune is needed to turn off the cold start sequence. Not just coding.

There is however a piece of software that allows you to change ecu parameters such as the cold sequence, top speed and rpm limit and make basic changes. I haven't tried this personally because I already had a tune when this was released. But I'd give it a try if I had a car without a tune.

https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/2018/04/01...tool-released/
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #123
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

any cruising videos recently of this set up?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #124
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
any cruising videos recently of this set up?
No new videos, but this one does have some cruising in it:
Initial start up, part throttle cruising, 2nd gear pull, parking garage rev.
Appreciate 3
Route 16843.50
8500RPM152.00
      11-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #125
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
No new videos, but this one does have some cruising in it:
Initial start up, part throttle cruising, 2nd gear pull, parking garage rev.
Sounds good man, still exotic sounding imo. Please get a Eisennmen Race on there lol. I could just imagine how perfect it would sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #126
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anyone other than tdott try these out yet?

tdott any issues/comments you haven't covered so far?

I'm getting interested in doing these headers once it warms up and wanted to lay as much groundwork as possible in the meantime.

One thing I read on your blog was the length of the secondary o2 sensor being insufficient and using an e46 sensor since the plug was the same. I wonder if something like this would work, provided that is the same type of plug. As mentioned with a tune your secondary sensors are off so are they just there to ... fill the hole I wonder?

Thanks again for taking the plunge on these and following up.

Last edited by Shredicus; 02-07-2020 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #127
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Anyone other than tdott try these out yet?

One thing I read on your blog was the length of the secondary o2 sensor being insufficient and using an e46 sensor since the plug was the same. I wonder if something like this would work, provided that is the same type of plug. As mentioned with a tune your secondary sensors are off so are they just there to ... fill the hole I wonder?
It looks like it might be the same plug, but i can't confirm, also you might want to look up the wire lengths to make sure it is longer than the stock ones.

While my tune does suppress some o2 codes for cat efficiency, it does require them to be hooked up and working other wise i got codes when i tried that. I believe some tunes can delete them completely but that is a specific feature you'll have to ask your tuner about.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #128
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Quote:
are you an idiot? you know the amount of time you took responding with idiotic questions and comments could have been utilized better by just reading the full thread.
      12-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #129
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Quote:
are you an idiot? you know the amount of time you took responding with idiotic questions and comments could have been utilized better by just reading the full thread.
I agree, and I apologize. Looking back at the thread it was ignorant to not read the entire thread before commenting. It's an older thread and my opinions have changed since commenting last
Appreciate 1
tdott3941.00
      12-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #130
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

These headers and xpipe are on sale for $737.13, which is a great deal IMO considering this price is less than most xpipes go for alone.

Not sure how long the sale will last:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...2F202473306101
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #131
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
These headers and xpipe are on sale for $737.13, which is a great deal IMO considering this price is less than most xpipes go for alone.

I wish i lived in a state that didnt have emissions testing.... i JUST smogged my car last weekend, NO MODS and the smog tech still looked over my whole car 3x to make sure i didnt have any mods.
      12-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #132
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:

I wish i lived in a state that didnt have emissions testing.... i JUST smogged my car last weekend, NO MODS and the smog tech still looked over my whole car 3x to make sure i didnt have any mods.
What state? Did you only do a visual in the engine bay or look under car too?
Appreciate 0