BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

08-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Ever wonder what the BMW of Austin shop looks like?

Took my E92 in for some warranty work (that was declined - National Auto Care bastards!) last week. My dash cam caught all of their test drives and a glimpse inside the actual shop. I had never been in it nor realized how big it was. Thought some of you guys may be interested.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Pretty cool! What kind of dashcam do you have that records automatically like that? I need to invest in one
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

They do a free tech session day for the local BMW CCA chapter every year or two and they always do a great job with it, making several techs available to answer questions, assist attendees on DIY projects, etc. They're really first rate.

If you haven't spent a lot of time at BMW of Austin, you might have missed the in-house movie theater complete with reclining La-Z-Boys and 500-disc Blu-ray changer loaded with both classic and recent releases. Takes a lot of the sting out of waiting there for service.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I always wanted an oversized pic of an M3 or 4 like the ones they have on their walls.
Just can't seem to find one online.
      08-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
Pretty cool! What kind of dashcam do you have that records automatically like that? I need to invest in one
It's this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought the recommended hard wire kit and add a circuit. Ran the cable in the headliner, down behind the passenger A-Pillar and into the dash. Can't see any wire except the plug right there at the unit.

The camera boots up upon starting the car and starts recording immediately.

I got this camera because they put a new stop light at the entrance to my neighborhood and people did not know how to yield on a blinking yellow arrow. I almost got hit twice in two days. Figure for the nominal cost of this device, it's worth having.

Seeing how BMW techs test drive the car makes me feel slightly better about how they treat them - though one guy did get on it pretty hard about 2 mins after cold start. He seemed to be shifting below 4K though, so that's fair in my book.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
They do a free tech session day for the local BMW CCA chapter every year or two and they always do a great job with it, making several techs available to answer questions, assist attendees on DIY projects, etc. They're really first rate.

If you haven't spent a lot of time at BMW of Austin, you might have missed the in-house movie theater complete with reclining La-Z-Boys and 500-disc Blu-ray changer loaded with both classic and recent releases. Takes a lot of the sting out of waiting there for service.
I have had my fair share of waiting in there, although I have never partaken in the movie theatre, massage chairs, or coffee. I think the most I've spent in there is an hour and I had to do some work so I was sitting in one of those cubicles. If its going to take more than an hour they usually just give me a loaner for the day.

I agree though that it does seem like a nice place to hang out if you had to. Not sure if all BMW dealers are like that or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

They held an "M" session there a few years ago that I attended. The shop is very large. They even have a guy that does detailing, and we were given a small detailing clinic while we were there. I think that was the 2nd time I met jphughan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
It's this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought the recommended hard wire kit and add a circuit. Ran the cable in the headliner, down behind the passenger A-Pillar and into the dash. Can't see any wire except the plug right there at the unit.

The camera boots up upon starting the car and starts recording immediately.
Good job on the setup. I hard-wired mine to a separate switch so that I can leave it on when the car is off...say, in a parking garage/lot or on the street. If it's out in public, the camera is on. Too many people with too little regard for other people's property.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Good job on the setup. I hard-wired mine to a separate switch so that I can leave it on when the car is off...say, in a parking garage/lot or on the street. If it's out in public, the camera is on. Too many people with too little regard for other people's property.
How does that not drain your battery? I've been looking for a dashcam that can record in parking mode for long periods of time but haven't been able to find one.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
How does that not drain your battery? I've been looking for a dashcam that can record in parking mode for long periods of time but haven't been able to find one.

The draw very, very is minimal. I'll leave it in the garage @ my office all day for 9+ hours with the camera on and I've never once had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The draw very, very is minimal. I'll leave it in the garage @ my office all day for 9+ hours with the camera on and I've never once had a problem.
How about a week or two at a time?

Nine hours would be good enough as a compromise. A lot of good solutions only last about an hour on a full charge. I'll have to look into doing hard wiring, as well as a rear view option.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
How about a week or two at a time?

Nine hours would be good enough as a compromise. A lot of good solutions only last about an hour on a full charge. I'll have to look into doing hard wiring, as well as a rear view option.
I've accidentally left it on for 5 days once. Car still started right up.

Drop me a PM. You can come by and check out my setup if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #12
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've accidentally left it on for 5 days once. Car still started right up.

Drop me a PM. You can come by and check out my setup if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer, but a review video should suffice. I found this Rexing unit, which is pretty much the same thing but with a rear cam and no capacitor. I think it should be fine? I don't know the pros/cons of battery vs capacitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EX...4xL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0