BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Bilstein CS vs KW CS

I'm planning to research the differences between these two kits and decided I might as well post any of my finding here. I will update this chart as I have time to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------Bilsten CS--------------------------------KW CS

SPRINGS
--------------
Front spring rate
Front spring type
Front spring length
Front helper spring
Front tire clearance limited

Rear spring rate
Rear spring type
Rear spring length
Rear helper spring

SHOCKS
--------------
Type
Adjustment

Camber plates included
Max camber possible

OTHER
--------------
Price
Availability

-----------------------------------------------------

If anyone has input, please share.

Last edited by Adrian g.; 10-16-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I have a set of Bilstein CS on my E90 M3

There's very little information on the internet regarding the Bilstein CS for the E9x M3, so prior to getting them I only looked at Mvez 's thread
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354492

The Bilstein CS is 2 ways while the KW CS can be had with 2 or 3 ways.

The Bilstein CS came out after the production of the E9x ended, so there's going to be less people with it.

Good Luck,
Sunny
      10-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I have a set of Bilstein CS on my E90 M3

There's very little information on the internet regarding the Bilstein CS for the E9x M3, so prior to getting them I only looked at Mvez 's thread
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354492

The Bilstein CS is 2 ways while the KW CS can be had with 2 or 3 ways.

The Bilstein CS came out after the production of the E9x ended, so there's going to be less people with it.

Good Luck,
Sunny
The thread which you linked, is why I'm considering the Bilstein CS kit. I know the KW CS is much more popular, proven and better priced. Additionally, member slicer has already posted a solution to the front tire clearance issue with the KW CS kit, which certainly helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'm looking for coils too and have looked at both of these. Just to complicate the issue, APEX is having a Group Buy on JRZ's this month.
People have said they have fixed their noise issues and JRZ in general is considered a TOP TIER coilover brand.
The RS2 I'm looking at with Ground Control plates and 550/800 springs is $3,350! That's way less than Bilstein CS and about the price of KW CS.

https://www.gangup.com/apex/jrz-rs-e9x-e82-q3-2018.html
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-19-2018 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'm looking for coils too and have looked at both of these. Just to complicate the issue, APEX is having a Group Buy on JRZ's this month.
People have said they have fixed their noise issues and JRZ in general is considered a TOP TIER coilover brand.
The RS2 I'm looking at with Ground Control plates and 550/800 springs is $3,350! That's way less than Bilstein CS and about the price of KW CS.

https://www.gangup.com/apex/jrz-rs-e9x-e82-q3-2018.html
We apologize for making things tougher here!

As you mentioned, the JRZ is a top tier damper, with some of the best valving design for BMW's. The quality and performance advantage over most other suspension manufacturers will be apparent from the moment you open the JRZ packaging. The benefit of the JRZ goes beyond the initial ordering process. Once you receive your kit, we will always be available to discuss setup or to assist you in making any adjustments to your suspension system!

The RS TWO is a wonderful kit, especially when paired with the Hyperco and Ground Control accessories. If you have any questions regarding this setup, feel free to reach out to us!

- Max
      10-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
We apologize for making things tougher here!

As you mentioned, the JRZ is a top tier damper, with some of the best valving design for BMW's. The quality and performance advantage over most other suspension manufacturers will be apparent from the moment you open the JRZ packaging. The benefit of the JRZ goes beyond the initial ordering process. Once you receive your kit, we will always be available to discuss setup or to assist you in making any adjustments to your suspension system!

The RS TWO is a wonderful kit, especially when paired with the Hyperco and Ground Control accessories. If you have any questions regarding this setup, feel free to reach out to us!

- Max
Hey Max,

All I ever hear about JRZ's that is they are awesome but noisy. I recall reading that JRZ believes they have resolved the noise issue with their latest products, but I will wait until I know for sure. My car is dual purpose so such noises would drive me insane.

In your opinion how do these compare to the MCS TT2 double adjustable monotube dampers?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian g. View Post
Hey Max,

All I ever hear about JRZ's that is they are awesome but noisy. I recall reading that JRZ believes they have resolved the noise issue with their latest products, but I will wait until I know for sure. My car is dual purpose so such noises would drive me insane.

In your opinion how do these compare to the MCS TT2 double adjustable monotube dampers?
Adrian,

That is something that we had heard as well, JRZ has since remedied this issue though. We have gone to great lengths to ensure that we are offering a suspension system that works for everyone, and those same clunks would drive me nuts too. With the inclusion of the Ground Control Camber plates and Hyperco Springs, these noises should no longer be an issue.

The JRZ and the MCS are in the same league in terms of premium dampers, with the JRZ being a tad bit more affordable when you include camber plates, springs and other accessories.

Personally (bias aside) I prefer the packaging and overall design of the JRZ. It is a beautiful setup and that quality does translate into the performance. Many members here will attest to the performance of the JRZ kits both on and off the track.

- Max
      10-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've run the MCS (both 2WNR and 3WR) and the JRZ 2WNR. I've run them back to back in the same track day.

The JRZ was noticeably noisier. I removed them after 2 track events. Never running JRZ again, it is blacklisted (along with all Koni products)

The MCS 2WNR made some noise but much less. They have since been rebuilt to +2017 spec and are reported to make no noise, but I haven't run them again because that car has been retired from track duty.

The MCS 3WR is God's gift to mankind. It is simply incredible how well the car drives with 700/1000 springs. Completely minimal NVH.

For reference, the two MCS systems were identically sprung at 700/1000
The JRZ was 500/800

The MCS were bought new
The JRZ was bought used but straight out of a rebuild at Olsen

The KW CS is the cheapest solid track suspension that can be daily driven.
The BS CS likely has better street manners and is also very track capable

Personally I would either buy a cheap track suspension like the KW CS or move directly to a MCS 2WR system. The only question there is whether the MCS 2WNR system could be an intermediate step and it sounds like it is, but I have not tested myself.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've run the MCS (both 2WNR and 3WR) and the JRZ 2WNR. I've run them back to back in the same track day.

The JRZ was noticeably noisier. I removed them after 2 track events. Never running JRZ again, it is blacklisted (along with all Koni products)

The MCS 2WNR made some noise but much less. They have since been rebuilt to +2017 spec and are reported to make no noise, but I haven't run them again because that car has been retired from track duty.

The MCS 3WR is God's gift to mankind. It is simply incredible how well the car drives with 700/1000 springs. Completely minimal NVH.

For reference, the two MCS systems were identically sprung at 700/1000
The JRZ was 500/800

The MCS were bought new
The JRZ was bought used but straight out of a rebuild at Olsen

The KW CS is the cheapest solid track suspension that can be daily driven.
The BS CS likely has better street manners and is also very track capable

Personally I would either buy a cheap track suspension like the KW CS or move directly to a MCS 2WR system. The only question there is whether the MCS 2WNR system could be an intermediate step and it sounds like it is, but I have not tested myself.
Your 3WR kit with 700/1000 springs, do you think it rides so well because it is 3 way adjustable? I'm assuming you can adjust low/high speed dampening with these?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
TheGreenHell
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have reached out to Bilstein to get the tech specs for the CS
This is their reply. Cut and paste from the email

Below is the data on the springs.

In order for the damper to function properly you should stay within 15% of the spring rates below.

Front Main SpringE4-FD1-Y227B00

Front Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm)10.2

Front Main Spring Rate (lbs/in)570

Front Main Spring TypeLinear

Rear Main SpringE4-FD1-Y228B00

Rear Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm)14.3

Rear Main Spring Rate (lbs/in)800

Rear Main Spring TypeProgressive

Front Tender SpringE4-FD1-Y221B00

Front Tender Spring Rate (kgf/mm)2

Front Tender Spring Rate (lbs/in)114

Rear Tender SpringN/A

Rear Tender Spring Rate (kgf/mm)N/A

Rear Tender Spring Rate (lbs/in)N/A
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Your 3WR kit with 700/1000 springs, do you think it rides so well because it is 3 way adjustable? I'm assuming you can adjust low/high speed dampening with these?
I’m running MCS 2WR with F/R 600/900 lbf/in spring rates on my M4 and the ride on the street is far better than stock. My wife drives a ‘18 240i and I find the stock suspension to be abusive! I’m going to replace the suspension with a MCS 1WNR setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m running MCS 2WR with F/R 600/900 lbf/in spring rates on my M4 and the ride on the street is far better than stock. My wife drives a ‘18 240i and I find the stock suspension to be abusive! I’m going to replace the suspension with a MCS 1WNR setup.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards MCS 2WNR but curious to hear regarding MCS 2WR; is it worth the extra ~1600$ ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
The thing with the Remote kits (2 or 3 way) is the remote canisters provide a massively larger space for the valves, nitrogen, etc which has clear benefits in the damping region. I've run remote and non remote kits and the difference is very clear.

The other difference is that the Remote is **way** quieter. Same manufacturer, same amount of miles, etc.

I really liked my 2WNR MCS kit but the 3WR is worth every penny. The 2WR would have the same noise reduction as the 3WR.

I am 99% sure I will only buy Remote systems in the future as it is far closer to having your cake and eating it than the 2WNR. The 1% of doubt I have is only because the 2WNRs were upgraded during 2017 or 2018 to be quieter.
My 2WNR is off the car and was rebuilt to the newer quieter spec, but I have it in a box and will eventually sell them when I get around to it.
If indeed the upgraded 2WNR is as quiet as the Remote then I would consider them again.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards MCS 2WNR but curious to hear regarding MCS 2WR; is it worth the extra ~1600$ ?
Absolutely - the 2WRs are without a doubt worth the extra cost over the 2WNRs. The range and number of independent rebound and compression settings/adjustments, the additional fluid volume due to the use of remote reservoirs, the ability to adjust nitrogen pressure on front and rear reservoirs to help control weight and/or weight transfer without altering spring rates, and larger diameter piston shafts are all advantages the 2WRs have over the 2WNRs. I had 2WNRs on my M4 before switching to 2WRs so I have first-hand experience with both dampers on the same car. The 2WNR is an excellent damper, and is primarily designed for race classes that do not allow dampers with remote reservoirs, but the 2WR outperforms the 2WNR in all categories (except maybe ease of installation). Also, the 2WR can be upgraded to a 3WR down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
. The 2WNR is an excellent damper, and is primarily designed for race classes that do not allow dampers with remote reservoirs, but the 2WR outperforms the 2WNR in all categories (except maybe ease of installation). .
I've been told the same thing
Appreciate 0