BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #45
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lower thickness spacers (5mm/10mm) are fine. Porsche sells them as an option from the factory. Tirerack sells them with wheel packages, and from my experience they usually "play it safe".

However, as others have discussed, if you go too far, it will definitely have a negative impact on the life of your bearings. Now how far is too far is up for you to decide.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #46
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Lower thickness spacers (5mm/10mm) are fine. Porsche sells them as an option from the factory. Tirerack sells them with wheel packages, and from my experience they usually "play it safe".

However, as others have discussed, if you go too far, it will definitely have a negative impact on the life of your bearings. Now how far is too far is up for you to decide.

I also looked it up
a wheel bearing is only $80?
is this the right bearing?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #47
rzm3
Rep

yes. but i'd image the labor to be a couple hundred dollars
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #48
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
I am comfortable throwing the car around bends before I installed the spacers. But now with the spacers-it feels a little off like the car is not planted when going around bends and it rolls to the side. I am getting the dinan springs installed once I get them and then do an alignment. If it still feels funny-i'll remove the spacers and then compare.
I have 15mm front and 10mm back.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #49
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Gentlemen,

I am interested in purchasing a set of wheel spacers.

The intended goal and objectives:

Improved appearance i.e. more aggressive look, while subtle (do not want "low-rider" effect).

The size I am considering is 10-12 mm all around, that is either 10 mm or 12 mm at all 4 wheels.

I do not drive my car excessively hard e.g. on the track, so I do not think the debated wheel bearing issue will be a concern given the conservative size.

Two questions:

I do not have hard data as to the front and rear track of the M3 with OE 19" alloys and stock tires.
The sales brochure shows a figure of 60.5 inches front and back to the tire / wheel center point.
If this ratio is changed, I assume it would affect the handling to some degree i.e. induce more oversteer if the front track is wider than the rear (say adding 15 mm front, 10 mm rear) or at least upset the factory balance at some point which is usually biased towards understeer for safety.

Is this the desired goal of those running larger front spacers than rear?

Will the car require an alignment after the installation?

I ran a mild set of spacers (5 mm) on a Porsche I used to own and my race buddy said there was no need to realign the car (which had been corner balanced and aligned at his shop prior to installing the spacers).

Thanks

AC
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinecoupe View Post
Gentlemen,

I am interested in purchasing a set of wheel spacers.

The intended goal and objectives:

Improved appearance i.e. more aggressive look, while subtle (do not want "low-rider" effect).

The size I am considering is 10-12 mm all around, that is either 10 mm or 12 mm at all 4 wheels.

I do not drive my car excessively hard e.g. on the track, so I do not think the debated wheel bearing issue will be a concern given the conservative size.

Two questions:

I do not have hard data as to the front and rear track of the M3 with OE 19" alloys and stock tires.
The sales brochure shows a figure of 60.5 inches front and back to the tire / wheel center point.
If this ratio is changed, I assume it would affect the handling to some degree i.e. induce more oversteer if the front track is wider than the rear (say adding 15 mm front, 10 mm rear) or at least upset the factory balance at some point which is usually biased towards understeer for safety.

Is this the desired goal of those running larger front spacers than rear?

Will the car require an alignment after the installation?

I ran a mild set of spacers (5 mm) on a Porsche I used to own and my race buddy said there was no need to realign the car (which had been corner balanced and aligned at his shop prior to installing the spacers).

Thanks

AC
I just posted above you.
I am running 15mm front and 10mm rear.
The look is certainly much better and aggressive yet not
looking overdone.
I do notice some difference especially in the turns.. I think I might need an alignment which I will get after the Dinan springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #51
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
I just posted above you.
I am running 15mm front and 10mm rear.
The look is certainly much better and aggressive yet not
looking overdone.
I do notice some difference especially in the turns.. I think I might need an alignment which I will get after the Dinan springs.

Hey,

I see your post.
Where I'm going: I do not want to spend the money to buy spacers, nice ones, and then decide they don't work. I have no intention of doing any suspension work e.g. springs.

I simply want to know if the car will need an alignment after the spacer installation and why people are running larger spacers in front.

Based on your response it sounds like it is for purely cosmetic reasons.
I however do not wish to upset the factory front / rear track ratio.
If I install 10 mm spacers all around, I will get a little more aggressive look while keeping the same balance.

Another question: Is there any reason that running mild spacers would accelerate tire wear?

Bottom line:

If adding spacers to get a little more edge is going to cost me an alignment and wear out very expensive tires then I'll stick with what I've got and let it be.

I am enjoying doing some relative simple cosmetic modifications to this car but have opted to refrain from going down the path of never ending upgrades. No issue at all with those that chose to do so, have fun and enjoy, life is short.
I've been down that path in the past and have seen where it can lead.
I'm not going to dump wheel barrow loads of cash into an already awesome car so that I end up with a $100K M3 that is essentially a quasi race car / track toy.
I've seen it happen many times.
End of rant.

AC
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #52
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I did not notice any change in handling nor alignment and did not do a realignment. Seems like good common sense that an alignment is not required. I did need to rebalance though. Not sure why, but others have noted that spacers seem to amplify any small misbalances.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #53
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinecoupe View Post
Hey,

I see your post.
Where I'm going: I do not want to spend the money to buy spacers, nice ones, and then decide they don't work. I have no intention of doing any suspension work e.g. springs.

I simply want to know if the car will need an alignment after the spacer installation and why people are running larger spacers in front.

Based on your response it sounds like it is for purely cosmetic reasons.
I however do not wish to upset the factory front / rear track ratio.
If I install 10 mm spacers all around, I will get a little more aggressive look while keeping the same balance.

Another question: Is there any reason that running mild spacers would accelerate tire wear?

Bottom line:

If adding spacers to get a little more edge is going to cost me an alignment and wear out very expensive tires then I'll stick with what I've got and let it be.

I am enjoying doing some relative simple cosmetic modifications to this car but have opted to refrain from going down the path of never ending upgrades. No issue at all with those that chose to do so, have fun and enjoy, life is short.
I've been down that path in the past and have seen where it can lead.
I'm not going to dump wheel barrow loads of cash into an already awesome car so that I end up with a $100K M3 that is essentially a quasi race car / track toy.
I've seen it happen many times.
End of rant.

AC
I hear you.
I am now considering changing to 10mm spacers for the front. I think with the larger spacers in the front I feel I have upset the balance/handling of the car. So I'll have to chuck the 15mm's (even though they look awesome) but I cannot give up the performance just for making the car cosmetically attractive.
Appreciate 0