BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

05-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #133
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Blizzard clarified their definition of Q3 in regard to the statement.

June 1st to Sept 30th is the window.
      05-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #134
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

wow, this thread was started back in 2008, lol. i'll believe it's coming out when i actually have it on my computer
      05-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #135
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

*EDIT* Do not know if this is still relevant, didn't realize article was from freaking '08. Some knob bumped an old thread on a gaming forum.

Bad news guys....no mod support and pay for additional features:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/552...ription-diablo

Diablo 3 got the ol' Activision touch.

Last edited by DougLikesBMW; 05-28-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #136
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
*EDIT* Do not know if this is still relevant, didn't realize article was from freaking '08. Some knob bumped an old thread on a gaming forum.

Bad news guys....no mod support and pay for additional features:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/552...ription-diablo

Diablo 3 got the ol' Activision touch.
I think this mainly pertains to online gameplay, for which I don't particularly care. I know multiplayer is hugely popular in the Blizzard universe but single player will always be the meat of Diablo. And that will be, no question, contained in its entirety in the $59.99 game box (which I still believe we won't see until June 2012).
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #137
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko View Post
I think this mainly pertains to online gameplay, for which I don't particularly care. I know multiplayer is hugely popular in the Blizzard universe but single player will always be the meat of Diablo. And that will be, no question, contained in its entirety in the $59.99 game box (which I still believe we won't see until June 2012).
I see...

Since you mentioned $59.99 - here is the pre-order for $49.99 on Newegg.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #138
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i can't believe no one has mentioned the beta announcement yet! w00t!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #139
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Your Page no longer exists.

Here is working link. However, I see no announced date.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...x.html#summary
      08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #140
blackedout335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

still no date i cant wait for this
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #141
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I hope you guys are following the friends & family portion of the beta which started about a week ago. The game looks incredible. It's going to be difficult to get used go certain aspects of new gameplay but I like what i see so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #142
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko View Post
I hope you guys are following the friends & family portion of the beta which started about a week ago. The game looks incredible. It's going to be difficult to get used go certain aspects of new gameplay but I like what i see so far...
Are you in it? I heard it was only the first chapter of the story.
      09-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #143
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

I won't believe this game exists till the day it is available to the public...
      09-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #144
John-JCs
Rep
Drives: Black and fast!

Diablo 3 looks awesome... Shame about the cash auctionhouse
      09-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #145
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-JCs View Post
Diablo 3 looks awesome... Shame about the cash auctionhouse
I think you are the first person to dislike it so far. Most poeple are drawn to it for the prospect of personal financial gain while gaming.

Can you elaborate on your position?
      09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #146
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I think you are the first person to dislike it so far. Most poeple are drawn to it for the prospect of personal financial gain while gaming.

Because the "real" gamers (if this came out ten years ago it would be me) know that when you bring real money into the mix on such a direct level you lose the immersion that the game provides and hooks you with.

This game is a generation gapper; There are going to be quite a few gamers that played the first few Diablo games a decade ago that are going to be adamantly against an auction house featuring real money.

When a game becomes more about power-leveling and farming and less about storyline, lore, PvP, and the like, is when you lose a lot of your fan base that knows what it feels like to be immersed by a game beyond the $$. Instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment for getting a certain item, or killing a boss hoping he will drop something that your character can use, you'll just be worried about how much you can get for it on the auction house. Instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment for getting a particular item, you know in the back of your mind (no matter how much of a purist you are) that as long as you are willing to shell out the cash you can have that item right now without really working for it in game.

Not only will this deter the old school gamer, but it will also deter the newbie and the casual gamer who comes to realize that in order to stay up with the crowd they are going to feel pressured to shell out real cash. I realize that there are going to be auction houses for both real money and in-game gold, but the in-game gold auction house is just going to be a stepping stone for the real money auction house where the really good stuff is.

The bottom line is Blizzard is tired of being cut out of the shady gold selling practices that went on in their previous games, and they want their share. They are understandably disguising this motive by telling everyone that they are trying to protect them and their accounts. News flash, the gold sellers aren't going to go away and Blizzard just wants to cash in on your love for the game and your desire to have a better crossbow than your friends.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea at all to try and monetize MMORPG's in this way. But this is what gaming has turned into; That's just the way it is. Blizzard realizes the amount of immersion they create with games such as these, and the cash cow that they can be even years after release. It's too bad they are selling out.

I was considering purchasing the game when and if it ever comes out, but not after this announcement.

Last edited by bolinp78; 09-19-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #147
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Because the "real" gamers (if this came out ten years ago it would be me) know that when you bring real money into the mix on such a direct level you lose the immersion that the game provides and hooks you with.

This game is a generation gapper; There are going to be quite a few gamers that played the first few Diablo games a decade ago that are going to be adamantly against an auction house featuring real money.

When a game becomes more about power-leveling and farming and less about storyline, lore, PvP, and the like, is when you lose a lot of your fan base that knows what it feels like to be immersed by a game beyond the $$. Instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment for getting a certain item, or killing a boss hoping he will drop something that your character can use, you'll just be worried about how much you can get for it on the auction house. Instead of feeling a sense of accomplishment for getting a particular item, you know in the back of your mind (no matter how much of a purist you are) that as long as you are willing to shell out the cash you can have that item right now without really working for it in game.

Not only will this deter the old school gamer, but it will also deter the newbie and the casual gamer who comes to realize that in order to stay up with the crowd they are going to feel pressured to shell out real cash. I realize that there are going to be auction houses for both real money and in-game gold, but the in-game gold auction house is just going to be a stepping stone for the real money auction house where the really good stuff is.

The bottom line is Blizzard is tired of being cut out of the shady gold selling practices that went on in their previous games, and they want their share. They are understandably disguising this motive by telling everyone that they are trying to protect them and their accounts. News flash, the gold sellers aren't going to go away and Blizzard just wants to cash in on your love for the game and your desire to have a better crossbow than your friends.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea at all to try and monetize MMORPG's in this way. But this is what gaming has turned into; That's just the way it is. Blizzard realizes the amount of immersion they create with games such as these, and the cash cow that they can be even years after release. It's too bad they are selling out.

I was considering purchasing the game when and if it ever comes out, but not after this announcement.

very well put. perfect, and I completely agree.

i will still be purchasing the game, but I completely agree with you for what it's going to turn the game into.

If you thought the bots running in D2 were bad enough before....you're about to see a whole new level of it. You're going to have people outsourcing everything to machines to try to get the latest/greatest thing.

On the flip side the general 'price' of things will greatly drop. but as you mentioned, bolin, it will also belittle your accomplishments.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #148
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I'm not going to directly agree or disagree. I think you have a point, and can empathize.

I will make a few comments though. If you want to only experience the story, then you can choose to just play the story and not partake in the RMAH. Also, I see the RMAH actually being a form of end-game, and this won't take effect until well after you have finished the story.

On the topic of immersion, and immersion breakage. You should read some of the posts by Devs in the SW:TOR forums about immersion. Their posts sum up to generally say that everyone's idea of immersion is different, and some features may be 'immersion-breaking' for some poeple, but they may be key factors for others to the extent of deciding whether or not they will even play the game. As a result, Bioware has taken a stance that the term immersion-breaking is in itself flawed and cannot truly be quantified. So, this leaves the user with a certain responsibility for their own experience.

In the end, Blizzard says that D3 /= D2. And I think it has the potential to be good or bad, it just depends on how each person chooses to use it. (There will be obvious potential for exploitation, so that is partly to do with Blizzard's responsibility to keep the market integrity intact.) I think Blizzard's goal here is to give you cake and let you eat it too. (Get your story game, but allow you to make some money while you enjoy it.) At least, that is what they may advertise.

TL;DR Immersion depth is generally not a strong foundation to lodge a complaint with.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 09-19-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #149
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

A side topic of immersion breaking, how do you feel about 'Appearance tabs'?

This has been a popular item that many 'care-bears' call for, and I personally hate it. I prefer for a players appearance to be a direct reflection of the gear they are wearing/earned. You can look however you like, but you must pay the price in terms of that items actual quality.
      09-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #150
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Blizzard has finally started closed beta's for D3. (Different from the Friends&Family)

Invites are handled via e-mail.
      09-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #151
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Quote:
A side topic of immersion breaking, how do you feel about 'Appearance tabs'?

This has been a popular item that many 'care-bears' call for, and I personally hate it. I prefer for a players appearance to be a direct reflection of the gear they are wearing/earned. You can look however you like, but you must pay the price in terms of that items actual quality.
I wouldn't be totally against an appearance tab. I would be in favor of rare pieces of clothing (without attributes) dropping randomly from mobs, and for a market to be created for that.
      09-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #152
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't be totally against an appearance tab. I would be in favor of rare pieces of clothing (without attributes) dropping randomly from mobs, and for a market to be created for that.
That is close to the loot and item system used in SWTOR now actually. But I'm getting off topic.

Anyways, I find it odd that you aren't against an appearance tab when you claimed to be a serious player. Most serious players accept the natural vanity that comes with the game, and most benefit from it in some way.
      09-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #153
John-JCs
Rep
Drives: Black and fast!

Quote:

I think the Auction House will end up filled with junk and the game bogged down by spammers.
I'll buy the game and play it for a while. But will probably stop after the deluge of spam starts.

MMORPGs without hard cash based Auctions (such as WoW, GW, DDO, et al) suffer with gold farmers / spammers...
Now add real money for the farmers and they will flock to it like flies on...
      09-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #154
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Quote:
That is close to the loot and item system used in SWTOR now actually. But I'm getting off topic.

Anyways, I find it odd that you aren't against an appearance tab when you claimed to be a serious player. Most serious players accept the natural vanity that comes with the game, and most benefit from it in some way.
Well the first ever MMORPG I ever played was Ultima Online, and I played it for years. It was also by far my favorite MMORPG. If you are familiar with that game, there was actually a tailoring skill and dye tubs to change the color of clothing.

Perhaps that why I am biased towards this opinion. Thinking about it more, though, that system does not work for many games, and it might not work for a Diablo game.

If they chose to implement it I would give it a fair chance, but if they didn't implement it I would not be disappointed.