BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

08-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

DISGRACE
      08-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You forgot to mention Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Adobe, my lawn care service. It's all moving to a pay-as-you-go model.

And bless Office 365. It's done very well for me over the years.
Of course my examples are non-exhaustive.

Lawn care is a different category because human labor =/= a program.
Programs don't need sleep or time off work. Programs don't get tired.
You don't pay a flat, one-time rate for a person to do work for the rest of their life.
That'd be slavery lol.
The same reason why employees are given paychecks bi-weekly/monthly for as long as they continue to work.
I can't believe I even have to explain this.

Software though, is different.
It's already written, the hardware (incl. cost of MFG) is already accounted for in the sale, and keeping it operational doesn't cost anything for the developer unless they are consistently improving its features (which is the case of Netflix as i'll explain below).
But in the case of a parking assist software, the algorithms do the job on its own. There is no additional human labor involved after the sale. So to charge monthly to keep the program active is nickel-and-diming.

Netflix (and the like) though, I'll give a pass.
Because you're not paying for the software, per se, you're truly paying for new content that requires production/filming/development (i.e., new originals), and new licensing (for more added content as time goes by).
It's kind of like a magazine subscription in a way.

But Office 365?
You're basically paying in perpetuity for what is basically a digital typewriter.
There is only so much you can do to reinvent the wheel via "security patches", so no thanks, I'm perfectly content with Office 2010.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 3
David701567.00
BMWZ41904.00
cbertels1212.00
      08-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #25
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
If that's the route BMW is considering they can count me out. I'll look elsewhere for my next vehicle. I'm sure others will too.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #26
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Unfortunately, even though I got this survey, I think their target market is not my generation (I am 50) but my son's generation (who is 25).
I don't know man, I'm 20 and I find this really fucking dumb.
21 here and I'd definitely leave if standard features become apart of a subscription plan. Or probably wait a couple of months/years till someone figures out the coding and can program the car to bypass the subscription
      08-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #27
Cyberbug
Private
Rep
Drives: HP4

Garage List
Doesn't even makes sense to charge subscription for apple carplay or parking assistance. There is no maintenance cost associated with the hardware.
Pass on all subscription services.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #28
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Peak Autos boys...only way to get incremental revenue is through Fee aligned services.

nothing new in this. to be expected.
      08-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #29
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

What strikes me the most - these features should be f'ing FREE to begin with [driving assist that is]; just as a backup camera becomes a standard equipment requirement now.

It just freaking wrong to charge an extra for a technology that could potentially prevent an injury or death and save a life instead.
I don't see them charging us a premium for the airbags ... why this should be any different. Entertainment - yes, but safety ?

Weird times ..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Lol at modern BMWs. The ultimate subscription machine. And I thought fake exhaust notes were bad...
      08-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

this is why i no longer use photoshop. i just want to pay once for it not monthly
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #32
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Nope, I am not about to pay.

As long I can still drive it I am golden.
      08-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
OK, I personally did not like having to pay $300 for Apple Car Play (ACP) in my 18' M2 when other companies do not charge anything for ACP. But I did and use it quite a bit and glad I have it. But I heard they are gong to give it for free in the 19's and charge a subscription of $85 for it. Glad I got an 18'! Anyway, if this is the route BMW is taking, there is a good chance my next new car will NOT be a BMW. I am still using MS Office 2011 for my Mac and will NOT buy a subscription. The phrase "nickel and diming" is starting to come up a lot in discussions regarding BMW's of late. You pay a premium for a premium car and then they start this type of business model. Kinda makes me rethink my automobile buying habits.
P111541.50
      08-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #34
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Unfortunately for us old timers, this is the business model of the future. Actually it's already here and yes it is all about making more money for the company BUT the customer can benefit too in certain ways.

For example, it'll cost BMW less money to just produce all BMW's with the Drivers Assistance Package hardware installed as they won't need to vary their production lines as much and they can streamline their products. However, as a customer/subscriber we either stand to lose more money in the long run or save more money in the long run. If we choose to subscribe and then pay as we go, over the long run (years and years) it will have cost us more money to use the features rather than if we just paid for it upfront when we bought or leased the car, BUT a subscription model is advantages in some ways as it allows the customer to turn on or off a service whenever we want, which could potentially save us money in the long run. My Netflix is a perfect example. There have come times in my life where I just don't have time to watch Netflix so I cancel the service (thus saving me money) and then when I do have time again, I can reactivate my service again and continue to pay for what I use when I want to. We could potentially do the same for car features.

With cars becoming more like rolling computer technology, software activation/deactivation of car features via cellular wireless link has become so much more easier. Things will change a lot when the 5G network gets up and running too. This is just the beginning. With 5G technology, the possibilities are almost limitless. Just look back to when Tesla unlocked increased range on all Tesla cars via a wireless connection in order to allow Tesla vehicle owners to escape a hurricane headed for Texas. This is the kind of connectivity car manufacturers want and will get as they can now just build it into the cars architecture right from the beginning.

Subscription services for car features is coming, and we better get used to it.

Appreciate 2
BMWZ41904.00
SNAGuy91.00
      08-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #35
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Car is not a car anymore sadly
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13119.00
      08-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #36
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I think it’s rediculous. If that comes to pass I’ll be moving on to a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #37
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
21 here and I'd definitely leave if standard features become apart of a subscription plan. Or probably wait a couple of months/years till someone figures out the coding and can program the car to bypass the subscription
This would be a very lucrative after market coding business model, nothing is safe with IT in 2018 with all the hacking.

Monthly lease prices will incrementally increase, as I can see BMW offering a low point of entry monthly lease payment, but over $200 per month of subscription fees. Don't forget Sirius radio.

What a way to alienate your loyal customer base!!
      08-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #38
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Driving assistance which is a safety feature in my view, should never ever be a subscription. I gave that feedback in the survey I filled out.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #39
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

So more uber-late stage Capitalism & internet age garbage?

Of course, anything the corporations can do to plow the little man even further into oblivion! *applause for BMW*
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #40
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
I think it’s rediculous. If that comes to pass I’ll be moving on to a Porsche.
I'm just looking to get my F06 and I'm good for the rest of my life
Won't have to worry about any 2020+ model year garbage with subscriptions.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #41
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_83 View Post
What strikes me the most - these features should be f'ing FREE to begin with [driving assist that is]; just as a backup camera becomes a standard equipment requirement now.

It just freaking wrong to charge an extra for a technology that could potentially prevent an injury or death and save a life instead.
I don't see them charging us a premium for the airbags ... why this should be any different. Entertainment - yes, but safety ?

Weird times ..
This.

It should be standard from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #42
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Personally, I'm 32 and I don't believe in SaaS models AT ALL... I either go free if I can or hell, I don't care, abuse my work credentials (I mean, O365 allows up to 5 devices and I only have a Mac and PC at work, so...), and for the few things I do subscribe to has to be versatile (Prime gets me shipping, shows, ad-free music, etc.).

However, putting SaaS on a car is just plain dumb... I can understand BMW Assist for roadside assistance (although AAA Plus and an Uber ride to get your spare key for when you lock your non-comfort-access key in the trunk is still way cheaper)...

...But to put features such as CarPlay and other features that are standard or a one-time purchase option on other cars is just plain dumb, and charging for CarPlay when I can plug it straight into other cars scot-free is utterly ridiculous and makes BMW look like cheap bastards... Especially since we're in a day and age where even cars equipped for a navigation still uses their phones for the map, and Android Auto or CarPlay was pretty much the only option left to actually put the screen to use.

Also for me, the less bills I have to account for, the better... "I want to go to the movies, but then I have my cell phone bill, Hulu, Spotify, Prime, and 2 out of 3 credit cards this week, then next week is rent, car insurance, BMW stuff, electricity, and the internet bill. *after crunching numbers for 15 minutes* I'll just stay home."
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Unfortunately for us old timers, this is the business model of the future. Actually it's already here and yes it is all about making more money for the company BUT the customer can benefit too in certain ways.

For example, it'll cost BMW less money to just produce all BMW's with the Drivers Assistance Package hardware installed as they won't need to vary their production lines as much and they can streamline their products. However, as a customer/subscriber we either stand to lose more money in the long run or save more money in the long run. If we choose to subscribe and then pay as we go, over the long run (years and years) it will have cost us more money to use the features rather than if we just paid for it upfront when we bought or leased the car, BUT a subscription model is advantages in some ways as it allows the customer to turn on or off a service whenever we want, which could potentially save us money in the long run. My Netflix is a perfect example. There have come times in my life where I just don't have time to watch Netflix so I cancel the service (thus saving me money) and then when I do have time again, I can reactivate my service again and continue to pay for what I use when I want to. We could potentially do the same for car features.

With cars becoming more like rolling computer technology, software activation/deactivation of car features via cellular wireless link has become so much more easier. Things will change a lot when the 5G network gets up and running too. This is just the beginning. With 5G technology, the possibilities are almost limitless. Just look back to when Tesla unlocked increased range on all Tesla cars via a wireless connection in order to allow Tesla vehicle owners to escape a hurricane headed for Texas. This is the kind of connectivity car manufacturers want and will get as they can now just build it into the cars architecture right from the beginning.

Subscription services for car features is coming, and we better get used to it.
Don't we already have something called 'rental car' ? They have monthly rate.

how is it different from 'car subscription' ?

Let's not buy into all these BS from evil companies.

Only reason for them to move toward to subscription model is to increase THEIR PROFIT. Nothing more.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      08-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Laughable. There is no service provided. It's a feature. It's like buying a dishwasher, but then having to pay Samsung a monthly fee for the drying function to work.
features...services...it's all intermingled these days. So long as you have connected cars, you can turn on/off any feature of the car.

Starting in 2014, the ARTTI (traffic information on idrive) started to be a subscription service. Part the package included connecteddrive (send directions from phone to idrive).