BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Nailed by lidar I-5 Salem

Returning from Eugene yesterday about 4:00 pm just entering Salem from the south. I was being pretty good about my speed in this area, but sped up briefly. Got nailed by a Marion Co. sheriff parked against the median in a white Mustang. 77 in a 60. I've made the trip to Salem probably 100 times in the last 10 years and this is my first ticket!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
linkinfrost
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Just make sure to Lawyer up!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Speeding ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinfrost View Post
Just make sure to Lawyer up!
I doubt I'll fight it. My record is clean. I know it could affect my insurance, but it's not worth the hassle to me. Fine is $190 and I'll see if I can get it reduced.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-17-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

$190! sweet!

in cali a speed violation like that would run in the high $300s
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
linkinfrost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I doubt I'll fight it. My record is clean. I know it could affect my insurance, but it's not worth the hassle to me. Fine is $190 and I'll see if I can get it reeduced.
That's fair. My records clean as well. My personal experience has been pretty good in this regard. A 5 minute phone call with the ticket # and account information followed up by a letter 3 months later saying that everything's cleared basically sums it up. Pricing is usually about $200 for the whole ordeal as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinfrost View Post
That's fair. My records clean as well. My personal experience has been pretty good in this regard. A 5 minute phone call with the ticket # and account information followed up by a letter 3 months later saying that everything's cleared basically sums it up. Pricing is usually about $200 for the whole ordeal as well.
So, you're saying you are able to avoid it going on your record? What tactic has been used for this?

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

taking a driver's education class might keep it from affecting your insurance
      06-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
linkinfrost
Private
Rep

Quote:
So, you're saying you are able to avoid it going on your record? What tactic has been used for this?
Honestly not sure what the Lawyer used. As far as I know I've heard, it's some technicality like a failure to submit ticket information by required dates or some such.

Of three times I've needed to do it, 2 were completed dismissed at $200 in lawyer fees and the 3rd was converted into a non-moving violation with the amount reduced. Ended up being $100 extra beyond the ticket price in total which is a no-brainer.

There's a few good firms in the Seattle area I could recommend, but not sure about Portland.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
TAIII
Rep
Drives: E92 O8 AW 6MT

Plead Not Guilty - Reply by mail

1st - they don't offer education schools for first timer offense. That's a California thing ( I used to live there). There are two good options.

1) Plead Guilty but with cause. You will have to plead your case to a Mediator at the courthouse. Takes 30 minutes out of your day and it's worth it for first timers. They will reduce your fine to like $100.00. What happens since this if your first ticket - they will say it will not go on your record if you don't get another speeding ticket for 1 year. If you end up getting a ticket for in that year - they will charge you the full fine and apply it to your record. If you don't get a ticket for in that year - it will be dropped. The kicker is you can only elect this option once every 7 years. So go with this option and don't get caught again in within a year.

2) Plead Not Guilty. Plead not guilty and they will give you an option to either come into court to plead your case or write them by mail. If you choose this option you want to write them by mail. They will mail you the form to fill out when you plead not guilty - you don't have to request this form, it's just an option. Officers get paid to appear in court - so most of the time they will show up. But if you write a letter and say you think their radar was wrong or any other good excuse - they themselves have to contest it. I just did this - this past month and I had my charges dropped because they could not find the files to my case? Crazy - but it happens. Worst case scenario is that you lose and have to then pay the $190.00? So why not give it a shot if - does not hurt to try.

In summary - I would go with option #1 since this is your first time. Option 2 is if you have had a ticket before on your record.

Good luck - hope this helps... If you need more help let me know.

Cheers,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAIII View Post
1st - they don't offer education schools for first timer offense. That's a California thing ( I used to live there). There are two good options.

1) Plead Guilty but with cause. You will have to plead your case to a Mediator at the courthouse. Takes 30 minutes out of your day and it's worth it for first timers. They will reduce your fine to like $100.00. What happens since this if your first ticket - they will say it will not go on your record if you don't get another speeding ticket for 1 year. If you end up getting a ticket for in that year - they will charge you the full fine and apply it to your record. If you don't get a ticket for in that year - it will be dropped. The kicker is you can only elect this option once every 7 years. So go with this option and don't get caught again in within a year.

2) Plead Not Guilty. Plead not guilty and they will give you an option to either come into court to plead your case or write them by mail. If you choose this option you want to write them by mail. They will mail you the form to fill out when you plead not guilty - you don't have to request this form, it's just an option. Officers get paid to appear in court - so most of the time they will show up. But if you write a letter and say you think their radar was wrong or any other good excuse - they themselves have to contest it. I just did this - this past month and I had my charges dropped because they could not find the files to my case? Crazy - but it happens. Worst case scenario is that you lose and have to then pay the $190.00? So why not give it a shot if - does not hurt to try.

In summary - I would go with option #1 since this is your first time. Option 2 is if you have had a ticket before on your record.

Good luck - hope this helps... If you need more help let me know.

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks. With #1 I'm not sure what justification I could present with a straight face. Also, it's in Woodburn 30 miles away, and if it's like other courts I have to sit through 20 other cases until they get to the "Ws". I may try #2, though.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Thanks for the heads up Greg. I will be heading down past Salem and back up this weekend. (the police have been out this week in Beaverton)
Are you still using the V1?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Thanks for the heads up Greg. I will be heading down past Salem and back up this weekend. (the police have been out this week in Beaverton)
Are you still using the V1?
I never installed it in this car. Probably should. Mostly Lidar anymore, though, for which the V1 has limited use.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
GregW, in Washington you can avoid the ticket going on you record by opting for a deferred . I think it costs about $150.00. I learned about it too late. You have a certain number days to opt for it. I don't know the policy in Oregon so do a search for it :-).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
erics02wrx
?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

GET A LAWYER!!!! Between Me, Family and Friends we have probably over 30 tickets in the last 5 years and all have be dismissed except 2 which were changed into non moving violations. So, for $10 more that ticket will be gone and will not be on your driving record. Lawyer cost is $200 and all you do is drop off the ticket and the $, they do everything else. You don't even sign the ticket, no court, no missing work, and the best part...the cops don't get a dime from you, they just wasted there time trying to get revenue from you.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
GregW, in Washington you can avoid the ticket going on you record by opting for a deferred . I think it costs about $150.00. I learned about it too late. You have a certain number days to opt for it. I don't know the policy in Oregon so do a search for it :-).

Yes, look into this Greg. I've used this in Wash St...you can't get another ticket the next 7 years, but if you stay clean that entire time the ticket falls off your driving record. But, if you get another moving violation within that 7 year period, the original ticket goes back on your record (along with the 2nd one!)

Of course, the traffic laws are different in Oregon, so you will need to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Tickets

Thanks for the input, all. Too late for my last ticket - I took the easy way out. But I will do more research or get a lwyer next time (knock on wood),

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Yes, look into this Greg. I've used this in Wash St...you can't get another ticket the next 7 years, but if you stay clean that entire time the ticket falls off your driving record. But, if you get another moving violation within that 7 year period, the original ticket goes back on your record (along with the 2nd one!)

Of course, the traffic laws are different in Oregon, so you will need to look into it.
7 years!?!?!? it was 2...
      09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
jchris
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 HPF Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics02wrx View Post
GET A LAWYER!!!! Between Me, Family and Friends we have probably over 30 tickets in the last 5 years and all have be dismissed except 2 which were changed into non moving violations. So, for $10 more that ticket will be gone and will not be on your driving record. Lawyer cost is $200 and all you do is drop off the ticket and the $, they do everything else. You don't even sign the ticket, no court, no missing work, and the best part...the cops don't get a dime from you, they just wasted there time trying to get revenue from you.
Do you mind passing on the name of your lawyer. I just got a ticket on I-405.

Thanks!!

John
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Which court is the ticket listed for? I use Fred Hopkins in Issaquah twice and got off both times.

Last one was a particularly nasty one. I was late for work on the first Grand Rounds where my boss was going to introduce all of us to the faculty. I was getting onto the I-5N on Mercer at 0610 and need to cut over to the 520 exit to get to UWMC. I got nailed by a State Trooper from the ADAT (Aggressive Driving Apprehension Team). He was a total jerk and won't let me pop the trunk to get my proof of insurance, so I got a 900-dollar ticket for speeding, following too close, and unable to show proof of insurance (this one alone is 500+ dollars).

Last edited by Kev; 09-25-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Which court is the ticket listed for? I use Fred Hopkins in Issaquah twice and got off both times.

Last one was a particularly nasty one. I was late for work on the first Grand Rounds where my boss was going to introduce all of us to the faculty. I was getting onto the I-5N on Mercer at 0610 and need to cut over to the 520 exit to get to UWMC. I got nailed by a State Trooper from the ADAT (Aggressive Driving Apprehension Team). He was a total jerk and won't let me pop the trunk to get my proof of insurance, so I got a 900-dollar ticket for speeding, following too close, and unable to show proof of insurance (this one alone is 500+ dollars).
You gotta realize though, playing devil's advocate, that these guys probably deal with a lot of jerks, as well. That being said, there are cops with attitude for sure.
You should carry an insurance card in your wallet so it's with you when you rent a car or are driving a vehicle that is not yours.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #21
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Sorry to hear about the ticket on I 5.
I visited Lake Oswego art fair at the end of June. Didn't see any M3's.
Nice area.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Plain clothes cars I-5

This week saw a black Charger with tinted windows that had someone pulled over. I've seen unmarked pickup trucks with red & blue light on in the past, as well. They're getting trickier and trickier.

Appreciate 0