BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

TV MODULE

Hello guys,

I am trying to install OEM Tv module on my vehicle and it is so confusing. TV module vary depending on your country and there is bunch of different modules.

I have purchased one couple days ago from Europe and it is on hold because I could not confirm that it will work on mine or not. I also bought the DVB-T/DVB-T2 individual antennas from Germany to work with it, I don't think it will work either

So here is the deal, The first generation TV modules originally made for our chassis are no longer working due to they are just analog. And the one upgraded version is DVB-T and sold in Europe but DVB-T decodes mpeg2 and I was told that DVB-T will not work here

There is another older version that has Analog and Digital TV built in. Its called Hybrid and one of the member advice me to get this one since it works on his but he is located in England.

The unit I have purchased was DVB-T2 which has mpeg2/mpeg4 decoding and module says ECE on the label which I thought ECE works for the USA but now I am told it probably will not.

Then after making some researches I found out that USA uses ATSC and it is found on South Korean Tv modules. When I researched the ATSC it says capable of getting mpeg2/mpeg4 formats but I am not sure DVBT2 ECE modules are capable of receiving the ATSC . I also see DVBT2 on the list of North America here

When I go to realoem.com to find out is there any TV modules for the USA vehicles, I could not find any. When it shows the listed parts, TV modules always grayed out. So is that means USA never gets a vehicle with TV option? I just couldnt find any helpful DIY for this other than European forums and they re not gonna work for me since the module they use not compatible with USA.

I have found the South Korean version of this TV Module which uses the same ATSC like USA but this list also confusing. Which one is which I don't know. There is FBAS,RCA,DVBT under the same South Korean module!

I do not like to use after market products, and I have found tons of after market units but I just do not wanna use after market. And also the one who uses after market ones cant get the full screen on CIC.

I will appreciated anyone with the knowledge who can explain or find me the right module
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 03-22-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm not sure which module to use but they interface into the CIC fbas input. In order to get full screen you would need to get into the LVDS video directly feeding CID as far as I know. Coding is pretty easy it's just option 601 and you can fiddle with the TV types until it works.
      04-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Hey. Yeah i have connected the FBAS and also coded the CIC without the module. I can see all the menu. But there is no such a TV module for the USA. Only if you can buy from South Korea since they use the same ATSC standards.

I was about to get the after market one. But i am OEM type of guy. So i gave up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I'm not sure which module to use but they interface into the CIC fbas input. In order to get full screen you would need to get into the LVDS video directly feeding CID as far as I know. Coding is pretty easy it's just option 601 and you can fiddle with the TV types until it works.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Hey. Yeah i have connected the FBAS and also coded the CIC without the module. I can see all the menu. But there is no such a TV module for the USA. Only if you can buy from South Korea since they use the same ATSC standards.

I was about to get the after market one. But i am OEM type of guy. So i gave up .

Quote:
I just push a Roku or Apple TV into mine. Not full screen but that's ok because you can use split screen to still see NAV directions while watching whatever.
      04-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just push a Roku or Apple TV into mine. Not full screen but that's ok because you can use split screen to still see NAV directions while watching whatever.
Nice. Where did you get the power source? Behind the CIC?
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Nice. Where did you get the power source? Behind the CIC?
Tapped into the cigarette lighter 12vdc and wired it into a tiny power board that converts to 5vdc USB. You can break open any cigarette USB charger and just use the board that's inside but apply shrink wrap after its wired up. There are power supplies for sale on eBay that you can put in an Apple TV so it will run on USB power. Roku already does this and also offers a composite out version about the size of a BIC cigarette lighter. I prefer the Roku because of the composite out resolution size and the ability to download apps. I prefer the Apple TV because of mirror. I have an iPhone 4s in the snap in adapter in my center counsel that is the data hotspot. 4g data is cheap and facilitates 480p video which is perfect for the fbas video size. Most phones operate on 5g lte which leaves the 4g band wide open and very reliable. The Roku remote is RF so the Roku and all wiring can fit above the passenger footwell bellow glovebox and nothing is seen.
      04-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Tapped into the cigarette lighter 12vdc and wired it into a tiny power board that converts to 5vdc USB. You can break open any cigarette USB charger and just use the board that's inside but apply shrink wrap after its wired up. There are power supplies for sale on eBay that you can put in an Apple TV so it will run on USB power. Roku already does this and also offers a composite out version about the size of a BIC cigarette lighter. I prefer the Roku because of the composite out resolution size and the ability to download apps. I prefer the Apple TV because of mirror. I have an iPhone 4s in the snap in adapter in my center counsel that is the data hotspot. 4g data is cheap and facilitates 480p video which is perfect for the fbas video size. Most phones operate on 5g lte which leaves the 4g band wide open and very reliable. The Roku remote is RF so the Roku and all wiring can fit above the passenger footwell bellow glovebox and nothing is seen.
Thank you buddy. I will consider doing that in the near future after the oem camera retrofit
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you buddy. I will consider doing that in the near future after the oem camera retrofit
Get your fbas correct as TV & backup cam use video inputs on fbas. 2 fbas are big picture and the 3rd is smaller.
      04-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Well. I have FBAS1 18-28 For Iphone (Which is small screen) on the videos, FBAS2 19-25-26 (TV out wert22) and FBAS3 21-24 (Reverse Camera) which is small screen as well. I know that if there is an OEM module installed FBAS2 can be full screen and I saw some guys installed Aftermarket cameras without PDC with MMI module and they can see the camera 1280x720 full screen. Is that means FBAS2 and FBAS3 I mention above provides full screen and FBAS1 just for 6NF can not be full right?
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-14-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well. I have FBAS1 18-28 For Iphone (Which is small screen) on the videos, FBAS2 19-25-26 (TV out wert22) and FBAS3 21-24 (Reverse Camera) which is small screen as well. I know that if there is an OEM module installed FBAS2 can be full screen and I saw some guys installed Aftermarket cameras without PDC with MMI module and they can see the camera 1280x720 full screen. Is that means FBAS2 and FBAS3 I mention above provides full screen and FBAS1 just for 6NF can not be right?
I'm interested in your statement of fbas being full screen. It's a composite input so I wonder how full screen is happening. Full screen is usually accomplished with most after market devices by pushing video directly to the CID LVDS cable and not to any FBAS. On my 2011 CIC there are two big screen fbas video and 1 smaller for backup cam. I have tried every coding value to get full screen without luck so I'm really interested in what you are saying about full screen.
      04-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm interested in your statement of fbas being full screen. It's a composite input so I wonder how full screen is happening. Full screen is usually accomplished with most after market devices by pushing video directly to the CID LVDS cable and not to any FBAS. On my 2011 CIC there are two big screen fbas video and 1 smaller for backup cam. I have tried every coding value to get full screen without luck so I'm really interested in what you are saying about full screen.
for example OEM TV module :

If you have the factory TV module it allows you to watch full screen. And I think this guy hooked up to 18-28 which I will be using for my OEM camera module since the Factory instruction guides me to do so since I have CIC Pro.

18-28 currently hooked up to my 6NF retrofit and I have to switch that to FBAS2 19-26 and I am planning to use the FBAS3 21-24 for the TV module and that one also currently used for my Chinese emulator for the reverse camera.

Can you tell me how did you determine which of the FBAS's provide full screen option? Because I will be switching my pins one to other due to OEM camera integration and I wanna use small screen for the back up camera and I definitely want to use the full screen option for the TV.

I have contacted one of the vendor on AliX and he currently building ATSC board for the OEM TV modules on e46 series without MOST connection. And I have requested him to build me a board to switch DVBT to ATSC on HYBRID FBAS oem e9x TV module. He said he is going to work on it. If I can get that option that way I will be watching the TV thru OEM module using the OEM menu on the TV and it will allow me to store channels and watch in Full Screen.

And my understanding the reason this guy can watch the TV on Full screen just because OEM module allows him to click ZOOM option under the TV menu just like the CD DVD menu.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-14-2020 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
None of the fbas provide full screen because they're composite inputs. Composite can only achieve resolutions of 480i & 576i both do not achieve full screen even with zoom. If you have a part number for the OEM TV module I bet we will find it plugs directly into LVDS cable going to the CID or it sends video to CIC via MOST which is pushed out to LVDS. Fbas inputs are on CIC.
      04-15-2020, 12:18 AM   #13
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
None of the fbas provide full screen because they're composite inputs. Composite can only achieve resolutions of 480i & 576i both do not achieve full screen even with zoom. If you have a part number for the OEM TV module I bet we will find it plugs directly into LVDS cable going to the CID or it sends video to CIC via MOST which is pushed out to LVDS. Fbas inputs are on CIC.
No buddy, you might be wrong on this. TV module allows you to watch full screen. I have seen many Oem Tv modules on the videos.

There is only 5 cable plugs into this. 2 Of them Power cable and 3 of them FBAS. Other plug for the DVD and Rear seat if its RSE.

This is the OEM module he might use. Because DVBT or DVBT2 for England.

Which I will look at the connection on this module since it is newer design with DVBT

And Oem module is the only module allows you to play full screen tv. Thats why I never wanted to get after market ones. And if you watch the video I linked here, he goes to full screen from the oem menu. When u hook up a LVDS, it is usually after market. . And after market products never uses oem menu if they re LVDS. Even tho the TV screen comes under the TV menu but you can not use CIC's TV menu to manage the aftermarket units such as saving channels or changing them. They use their interface.

Here is another one :
I think each channel has different sizes. I never done it so I don't know but when they change the channel size also changes.

And this is one of the retrofitters comment on Full Screen :

Original Topic is http://www.**************/showthread...-6NF-6NR/page5 (***** = bmvvcoding.com)

BTW I found the factory fitted TV pin out and I will use this for the FBAS. It is FBAS3 21-23-24 Wert_23. Factory used this for the oem tv module.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-15-2020 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No buddy, you might be wrong on this. TV module allows you to watch full screen. I have seen many Oem Tv modules on the videos.

There is only 5 cable plugs into this. 2 Of them Power cable and 3 of them FBAS. Other plug for the DVD and Rear seat if its RSE.

This is the OEM module he might use. Because DVBT or DVBT2 for England.

Which I will look at the connection on this module since it is newer design with DVBT

And Oem module is the only module allows you to play full screen tv. Thats why I never wanted to get after market ones. And if you watch the video I linked here, he goes to full screen from the oem menu. When u hook up a LVDS, it is usually after market. . And after market products never uses oem menu if they re LVDS. Even tho the TV screen comes under the TV menu but you can not use CIC's TV menu to manage the aftermarket units such as saving channels or changing them. They use their interface.

Here is another one :
I think each channel has different sizes. I never done it so I don't know but when they change the channel size also changes.

And this is one of the retrofitters comment on Full Screen :

Original Topic is http://www.**************/showthread...-6NF-6NR/page5 (***** = bmvvcoding.com)

BTW I found the factory fitted TV pin out and I will use this for the FBAS. It is FBAS3 21-23-24 Wert_23. Factory used this for the oem tv module.
I have terminated all of my fbas to female RCA's. I will plug my Roku into fbas 3 and apply wert_3 when I get a chance. I do feel this to be a waste of time but I will report back.
      04-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Well I am not sayin after market will make it full screen or allow you to do fullscreen. But I do not know how , OEM module allows you to do so as far as my research goes.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:02 PM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well I am not sayin after market will make it full screen or allow you to do fullscreen. But I do not know how , OEM module allows you to do so as far as my research goes.
I feel ya man. I'm not criticizing. I've just wanted full screen for my race watching forever! If this works I will send you a care package.
      08-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

SaNGRia, did you manage to get this working....

I did some more digging and testing on mine and I tried again with the newer type TV module.

It was the RSE unit, TV module for BMW X5 E70 X6 E71 6550 9224300

I chose the RSE because it has the 3rd antennas, the (pink) is used for continual scanning of channels, both green and brown will scan periodically (and when you manually search), but the pink one does it as a matter of course, because this tv module is normally used in rear seat entertainment options. Plus it was really really cheap.

I suspect that most new type tv modules will work, as the MOST interface is the one that carries all the control/interface signals, the main plug just has power and video out, so i **think** that any RSE, dvt, dvt-t, dvt-t2 will work fine (in the UK, but that's just a guess), the china/japan/korea ones wont.

Pinouts are

For the TV 12 pin plug (x14454)

1: power
12: gnd

2: video +
7: shield
8: video -

cic single plug

18: video +
27: shield
28: video -

Coding: code tv option to car and then make sure you edit the cic confit so that the TV option is :-

TVM_VARIANTEN
tvm_dvb_t_rse = activ

for older type

TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat = activ

Also check option

TV
is wert = 21 this selects the correct input pins for the tv video input. (18,27,28)

RVC
if you also have the backup camera then make sure this is set to wert 23 = camera video input. (21,23,24)

NOTE: as long as its coded orrectly in the cic , it does not matter which wert you use for either tv or rvc, they will both work for each application and vise versa. As long as the correct input is assigend to the correct FBAS, then it just works.

I got over 65 channels and over 40 dab radio stations and the scan bar in the settings menu actually works correctly (not so with the older tv modules), seems to pick up more channels too.

Works in widecreen and the epg is much better than the older unit.

Also for the newer TV module there is a different bracket that sits next to the combox/tcu/mulf

Correct e9x bracket
newer style tv module is 9176373,
older style tv module 6945074

BTW: fullscreen (wide) is a function of the tv module, the older units were meant for a 6.5" screen so that was their "wide", zoom will strech the picture as much as it can without effecting the aspect ratio, newer modules were meant for the 8.8"/10" screen so produce a fullscreen.

Also: Pretty sure there was a USA region option when I looked in the setting too.

I have just had this working on the bench so far, will be installing in the car when i get back from holiday, i will 100% confirm when its done.

UPDATE

Installed in car and confirmed all working.....

Last edited by ccfj1; 11-23-2020 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
mizta insane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Any update?

Also can you confirm there is a USA option?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:56 AM   #19
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

The USA (north america) was an option in the region coding of the TV module that I have.

Not sure if that means that the TV will scan the correct frequencies for the USA though.

You could always grab one and try it?

Last edited by ccfj1; 11-23-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #20
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

YEAP you re correct. Many people dont know that but new TV module allows you to watch FULL screen and it is a function of the module not the CIC or FBAS!

Unfortunately i cant use OEM module cause there is no TV module for the USA TV frequency (ATSC) that is made only one works is South Korean modules which i couldnt find at all! UK (DVB-T DVB-T2)

But if you can find me one i will happy to get and do the retrofit

Other than that good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
SaNGRia, did you manage to get this working....

I did some more digging and testing on mine and I tried again with the newer type TV module.

It was the RSE unit, TV module for BMW X5 E70 X6 E71 6550 9224300

I chose the RSE because it has the 3rd antennas, the (pink) is used for continual scanning of channels, both green and brown will scan periodically (and when you manually search), but the pink one does it as a matter of course, because this tv module is normally used in rear seat entertainment options. Plus it was really really cheap.

I suspect that most new type tv modules will work, as the MOST interface is the one that carries all the control/interface signals, the main plug just has power and video out, so i **think** that any RSE, dvt, dvt-t, dvt-t2 will work fine (in the UK, but that's just a guess), the china/japan/korea ones wont.

Pinouts are

For the TV 12 pin plug (x14454)

1: power
12: gnd

2: video +
7: shield
8: video -

cic single plug

18: video +
27: shield
28: video -

Coding: code tv option to car and then make sure you edit the cic confit so that the TV option is :-

TVM_VARIANTEN
tvm_dvb_t_rse = activ

for older type

TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat = activ

Also check option

TV
is wert = 21 this selects the correct input pins for the tv video input. (18,27,28)

RVC
if you also have the backup camera then make sure this is set to wert 23 = camera video input. (21,23,24)

NOTE: as long as its coded orrectly in the cic , it does not matter which wert you use for either tv or rvc, they will both work for each application and vise versa. As long as the correct input is assigend to the correct FBAS, then it just works.

I got over 65 channels and over 40 dab radio stations and the scan bar in the settings menu actually works correctly (not so with the older tv modules), seems to pick up more channels too.

Works in widecreen and the epg is much better than the older unit.

Also for the newer TV module there is a different bracket that sits next to the combox/tcu/mulf

Correct e9x bracket
newer style tv module is 9176373,
older style tv module 6945074

BTW: fullscreen (wide) is a function of the tv module, the older units were meant for a 6.5" screen so that was their "wide", zoom will strech the picture as much as it can without effecting the aspect ratio, newer modules were meant for the 8.8"/10" screen so produce a fullscreen.

Also: Pretty sure there was a USA region option when I looked in the setting too.

I have just had this working on the bench so far, will be installing in the car when i get back from holiday, i will 100% confirm when its done.

UPDATE

Installed in car and confirmed all working.....
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:52 AM   #21
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Let me have a part number and I can look around

Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      06-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #22
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
I feel ya man. I'm not criticizing. I've just wanted full screen for my race watching forever! If this works I will send you a care package.
Hey buddy, I have purchased the DVBT2 F/G series TV module from Europe and installed in my E93 M3. I cant find any channel since the unit only supports DVBT standards but i can confirm you this that when you click the Zoom Mode option, it makes that small screen Blacked Out part Full Screen. I can see the frame even thos there is no picture on it. So i was right about newer TV modules give you Full Screen option regardless off the Video Out put that is provided by CIC.

, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 06-23-2021 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0