BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Stand Alone iPhone SE has USB drive?

Hello,

So has anyone used an old iPhone as a stand-alone music 'server'? Every day I connect my work phone which is an iPhone 8+ to the USB connector in the combox center console USB port.

It's kind of a PITA to always be doing this, think it's dumb to just use my old iPhone SE has a mini music 'server'? It has no SIM card and WiFi turned since I rarely use Pandora or Spotify. I've got many playlists I could just select from and leave the car. ANy danger of just leaving it connected for perhaps months like that? And is this just cheapo stupid or good use of an old phone?

Thank you,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
I don't know if it would work, but I think it's a good use of an old phone since with new versions of iOS those old things become pretty useless as phones anyway.

I guess the only potential risk (and I really don't know if it would do this) is whether it will draw battery while the car is off? I guess you could give it a try and see if there is any current draw.
      09-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

Get the plug in adapter if you have that option.. Probably find one on the forum- same as iphone5 unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I still use my old iPhone 4s in the media snap in adapter for movies and a hotspot for a Roku that I wired to the CIC. Works great and now that not so many people are on 4g and the hotspot is legit. I drive LA to SF and watch IMSA races or YouTube or Netflix without interruption.
      09-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I still use my old iPhone 4s in the media snap in adapter for movies and a hotspot for a Roku that I wired to the CIC. Works great and now that not so many people are on 4g and the hotspot is legit. I drive LA to SF and watch IMSA races or YouTube or Netflix without interruption.
Can you PM me with more details? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtype View Post
Quote:
Code TV to CIC and then feed composite video to FBAS 1,2 or 3. Then code CIC TV options for appropriate fbas. Feed audio to aux in and done. There is a Roku that has HDMI & composite outputs. An RCA to headphone for sound and when you pin into CIC fbas make other end a female RCA (tip + shell -). I tapped power from lighter in front cubby and soldered to a cigarette power adapter. Then plug in supplied USB to micro usb to Roku and enjoy.
      09-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Code TV to CIC and then feed composite video to FBAS 1,2 or 3. Then code CIC TV options for appropriate fbas. Feed audio to aux in and done. There is a Roku that has HDMI & composite outputs. An RCA to headphone for sound and when you pin into CIC fbas make other end a female RCA (tip + shell -). I tapped power from lighter in front cubby and soldered to a cigarette power adapter. Then plug in supplied USB to micro usb to Roku and enjoy.
But do you have tv? Or just coded like you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are coding it for the fbas to be active and so you can feed a composite in to it. So on mine I utilize fbas 1 for my snap in adapter to play movies from iPhone 4s. Then I pointed fbas 2 to TV option. I have pinned audio from snap on to 8th inch jack and rca audio from TV device (Roku in my example)to another 8th inch jack. Then I plug in whichever I want to hear in center consol. The video self switches between fbas video inputs based off selecting TV in media are or video in external devices area of idrive. I think a better way would be to by a multimedia device that taps into CID direct video for full screen.
Attached Images

09-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
g35mt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 F80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are coding it for the fbas to be active and so you can feed a composite in to it. So on mine I utilize fbas 1 for my snap in adapter to play movies from iPhone 4s. Then I pointed fbas 2 to TV option. I have pinned audio from snap on to 8th inch jack and rca audio from TV device (Roku in my example)to another 8th inch jack. Then I plug in whichever I want to hear in center consol. The video self switches between fbas video inputs based off selecting TV in media are or video in external devices area of idrive. I think a better way would be to by a multimedia device that taps into CID direct video for full screen.
it is possible if you can tell me what to code? I am able to use the NC expert and would like to know how. I have iPhone 4s with snapon adapter and would like to see if I can watch YouTube on iPhone 4s to some extent. my snapon adapter is the multimedia version. thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35mt View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
it is possible if you can tell me what to code? I am able to use the NC expert and would like to know how. I have iPhone 4s with snapon adapter and would like to see if I can watch YouTube on iPhone 4s to some extent. my snapon adapter is the multimedia version. thanks
601 to CIC
      09-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
g35mt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
601 to CIC
Thank you for that. Can I assume vo 601?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
g35mt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
601 to CIC
Thank you for that. Can I assume vo 601?
Last question, to have video out function I need to get fbas and install between the cic and the snapon adapter?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Got it. Just didn't know that audio would work.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Got it. Just didn't know that audio would work.
You can assign audio in coding. 2 options I believe. Digital/aux.
      12-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you send me your CIC trc file? Can't get my audio to work
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:03 AM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Can you send me your CIC trc file? Can't get my audio to work
Get things working?