BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

SOS codes/no Aux/Static=many questions

A new to me 2008 M3 Vert. No Nav, no iDrive.

It came spec'ed from the factory as:
S639A Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl USACDN
S676A HiFi Speaker System
S693A Preparation BMW Satellite Radio
S694A Provisions For BMW 6 CD Changer
S6FLA USBAudio Interface
S645A BMW US Radio
S663A Radio BMW Professional

Multi-media system offers Radio, CD, and Aux options (no Phone). Armrest has USB and Aux port. And I confirmed it has TCU 1.5 MOST GSM US in the trunk and a number of unused multi-media wires.

The USB and Aux port that seem non-functional and I get the yellow SOS alert telling me the SOS systems is not functional. The "Aux" option is not grayed out.

There is a low level static sound coming from the speakers even when the car is off that does not seem affected by the volume control. The whole radio randomly (like every few hours) will just go black and restart itself.

I am trying to figure out if this is simply what I should expect with these options and the aux/USB ports are dummies? Or is there an issue e.g. with the TCU or MOST connections somewhere that I need to diagnose? Perhaps I have a wiring problem? Should/could this car have Bluetooth (not listed on the options, but TCU shows Bluetooth)?

I have been reading posts on this forum but still have so many questions.

Last edited by askme; 08-02-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like you have an issue. Probably best to get someone or something that can read the codes. It will point to in the right direction to which module is throwing faults.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Sounds like you have an issue. Probably best to get someone or something that can read the codes. It will point to in the right direction to which module is throwing faults.
That dawned on me afterwards. It throws the following codes:

Instrument Cluster:
A554 Message Error (Telephnoe 0xC1H), receiver instrument panel, Transmitter JBE
A559 Power Supply Switched Off

Junction Box
A6CF JBE: AUC Sensor

CAN Network Gateway:
E190 Manufacturer Specific
E18D Manufacturer Specific
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Amp is fucked IMO. If you hear a static sound like a bad radio station selection that is not a valid station signal it's the amp. Example:106.7 is a station in LA but I've tuned to 106.1 which is not a station in LA I'll hear static. Especially if it's out of some speakers but not all. You can try dissembling the amp and cleaning the chip legs with CRC cleaner but that's a maybe for water damage or a waste of time for a power issue. The AUX issue may be a MULF or combox issue depending on which you have.
      08-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I assumed not the amp because the static is more like the occasion pop I have seen few posts on. I hear it even with the radio off and the car off (but obviously some systems powered up).

I have at TCU so I assume no MULF?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:58 AM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
Thanks. I assumed not the amp because the static is more like the occasion pop I have seen few posts on. I hear it even with the radio off and the car off (but obviously some systems powered up).

I have at TCU so I assume no MULF?
So my amp got water damage during my rear pumper repaint. With stereo off it was cracking and popping. Playing music resulted in shit sound. It was like a stereo on 100% volume distortion but at any volume level. A replacement amp resolved it.
      08-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
So my amp got water damage during my rear pumper repaint. With stereo off it was cracking and popping. Playing music resulted in shit sound. It was like a stereo on 100% volume distortion but at any volume level. A replacement amp resolved it.
I am starting to think this is it.

I have been looking for How To's on getting to the amplifier on a convertible. I haven't found anything good so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I am starting to think this is it.

I have been looking for How To's on getting to the amplifier on a convertible. I haven't found anything good so far.
I have a coupe and it's in the trunk on left side. I have no idea where it is in a vert though. It's a plug and play and doesn't require coding usually.

*edit: Google search shows it in the same location as mine. Left side of trunk behind panels.
      08-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. The number of convertible owners that seem to have left the top down in the rain makes this a reasonable one to attack.

I know the amp down there somewhere, but everything I have seen is that getting all the carpet etc, out is a PITA on a convertible. I will just wait and tak it slowly at some point.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. The number of convertible owners that seem to have left the top down in the rain makes this a reasonable one to attack.

I know the amp down there somewhere, but everything I have seen is that getting all the carpet etc, out is a PITA on a convertible. I will just wait and tak it slowly at some point.
In a coupe there is a little plastic cubby top on the left wall trunk carpet. Remove that plastic top to look in there and see the metal amp. You have to remove that left trunk carpet piece. In a coupe it's like 4-5 plastic tabs. Pull the center out of the tabs with a finger nail or flat head and then remove the putter part of the tab by pulling straight out. Once all the tabs are out my coupe has two tie down clips that need to be removed as well. Then that whole left hand trunk carpet piece comes out and the amp is right there behind it. Unplug wires and MOST connection. Replace amp and plug in....done.