BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Mporium BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

E92 M3 Cranks over but doesn't start until after 3 tries

Hey guys, I wanted to post a question because I've been experiencing this interesting anomaly. I'll get in my car, try to start it and sometimes it chooses not to start until after 3-4 tries. The car is on 91 octane, so it's not an E85 problem. Starter is cranking like normal, everything seems fine. No error messages; just doesn't start the first time sometimes.

This issue has been happening for about 4 months, no notable changes done to the car in the period of time of which this has been occurring, and I thought it was an alternator going bad until I saw that it was drawing 14V; spark plugs have yet to be changed, but I am not misfiring or noticing a loss of power. I changed the battery early last week and this didn't solve my problem either. Not sure exactly what's happening but once the car actually decides to start, it's as though the issue never happened and it cranks/starts like normal...

Someone help lol

Update: Just did my plugs / battery controller as well and no change. However, when I just turn ignition on and let it prime, the car starts right up after waiting on ignition for about 5 seconds. Could be fuel-delivery related

Last edited by gevo_07; 07-30-2022 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:20 AM   #2
Throatpunch
Lieutenant
208
Rep
472
Posts

Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philly, PA

iTrader: (0)

I had an issue where my ground cable to my engine was loose after rod bearing work. Tightening it or replacing a corroded cable may help
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
629
Rep
1,891
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevo_07 View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to post a question because I've been experiencing this interesting anomaly. I'll get in my car, try to start it and sometimes it chooses not to start until after 3-4 tries. The car is on 91 octane, so it's not an E85 problem. Starter is cranking like normal, everything seems fine. No error messages; just doesn't start the first time sometimes.

This issue has been happening for about 4 months, no notable changes done to the car in the period of time of which this has been occurring, and I thought it was an alternator going bad until I saw that it was drawing 14V; spark plugs have yet to be changed, but I am not misfiring or noticing a loss of power. I changed the battery early last week and this didn't solve my problem either. Not sure exactly what's happening but once the car actually decides to start, it's as though the issue never happened and it cranks/starts like normal...

Someone help lol
When you say the "car chooses not to start", do you mean the starter isn't crankking the engine or do you mean that the engine cranks but doesn't start running.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #4
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
jun_e92's Avatar
108
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (3)

Symptoms before the starter motor dies.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
629
Rep
1,891
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_e92 View Post
Symptoms before the starter motor dies.
Sorry, still don't understand
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:02 PM   #6
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
When you say the "car chooses not to start", do you mean the starter isn't crankking the engine or do you mean that the engine cranks but doesn't start running.
Update: The engine cranks just fine, but sometimes it just won't turn on. I just did my plugs, changed the battery, changed the battery controller. Definitely can't be the alternator because battery is used to draw power to even start the car. I'm thinking fuel filters? Pump?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:03 PM   #7
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_e92 View Post
Symptoms before the starter motor dies.
Def not the starter motor. Starter cranks the car just fine. The engine won't start firing sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:43 PM   #8
spammysammich
Lieutenant
spammysammich's Avatar
694
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edmonds, WA

iTrader: (0)

Start looking at fuel injectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 12:43 AM   #9
spammysammich
Lieutenant
spammysammich's Avatar
694
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edmonds, WA

iTrader: (0)

Possibly fuel pumps too.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
2664
Rep
3,327
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

This issue has been popping up on a few E9x M3s here. It might be the big red power cable going from the fuse box in your glove box. They age over time and resistance increases. Check yours for discoloration around the shielding on the fuse box end. There's a recall for it I think.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
This issue has been popping up on a few E9x M3s here. It might be the big red power cable going from the fuse box in your glove box. They age over time and resistance increases. Check yours for discoloration around the shielding on the fuse box end. There's a recall for it I think.
Will check, thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:14 AM   #12
NiBe
Private First Class
101
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 & E92
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

In ISTA-D there is a check for fuel pump, if it holds pressure or not. No error codes I assume, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #13
Davisca455
Captain
Davisca455's Avatar
United_States
1884
Rep
784
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Davis, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevo_07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
When you say the "car chooses not to start", do you mean the starter isn't crankking the engine or do you mean that the engine cranks but doesn't start running.
Update: The engine cranks just fine, but sometimes it just won't turn on. I just did my plugs, changed the battery, changed the battery controller. Definitely can't be the alternator because battery is used to draw power to even start the car. I'm thinking fuel filters? Pump?
If it was behaving properly before the recent maintenance, then the first place I'd start is asking myself:

"Is there ANYTHING about the new parts themselves, or some nuance about the removal/installation procedure that could explain the new behavior?"
__________________

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #14
Maks///M2
Private First Class
247
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Garage

iTrader: (0)

Maybe this will help.

This is what's going on with my car.

I've put about 2k miles in my ownership on the car in the last 8 months.

Always sits in the garage. When I bought it I put a new battery in it and registered it.

Car didn't have any issues.
One day I'm driving and the car dies.
I go to try and start it. Nothing. About 3-4 mins later. Starts up. So I drove it home and didn't think about it. Couple days later took it out again. Car started just fine.
2 miles from home. It dies. I'm like ok. The car will start again. After an hour of waiting. Still no start.
Got it towed to the shop.
Scanned the car. Got the starter code. I think it was like "AB04"?
Took the intake plenum off, and unplugged the signal wire to the started. It was getting its 12+ volts. I banged on the solenoid on the starter, and got it to make a turning sound. So I replaced the starter. I also sent out the frm for repair because it wasn't getting signals from a few of the wires. Got it repaired. Put the starter in and the rebuilt frm. Car starts right up no error message for the frm anymore either.

All I'm saying is it's worth looking into.
I didn't think it was the starter either….
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:11 AM   #15
asma123
Private
88
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, 5G 4Runner, 9G Civic
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I think most likely you have leaky injectors. I had similar issue with mine but not as bad. Car performed great no issues at all just took longer to start than it should.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #16
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBe View Post
In ISTA-D there is a check for fuel pump, if it holds pressure or not. No error codes I assume, right?

That seems like the next step, thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:09 PM   #17
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks///M2 View Post
Maybe this will help.

This is what's going on with my car.

I've put about 2k miles in my ownership on the car in the last 8 months.

Always sits in the garage. When I bought it I put a new battery in it and registered it.

Car didn't have any issues.
One day I'm driving and the car dies.
I go to try and start it. Nothing. About 3-4 mins later. Starts up. So I drove it home and didn't think about it. Couple days later took it out again. Car started just fine.
2 miles from home. It dies. I'm like ok. The car will start again. After an hour of waiting. Still no start.
Got it towed to the shop.
Scanned the car. Got the starter code. I think it was like "AB04"?
Took the intake plenum off, and unplugged the signal wire to the started. It was getting its 12+ volts. I banged on the solenoid on the starter, and got it to make a turning sound. So I replaced the starter. I also sent out the frm for repair because it wasn't getting signals from a few of the wires. Got it repaired. Put the starter in and the rebuilt frm. Car starts right up no error message for the frm anymore either.

All I'm saying is it's worth looking into.
I didn't think it was the starter eitherů.
I'll check for starter codes but the car will not die, just needs a little extra umph to start. Could be a fuel priming issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:56 AM   #18
Maks///M2
Private First Class
247
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Garage

iTrader: (0)

We feel like the car dying was FRM related not starter.


As multiple CAN signals were not being identified by FRM.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
Shinom3
Banned
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2009 m3, M5.
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: ..

iTrader: (0)

so no basic reason why this occurs?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 05:02 AM   #20
gevo_07
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP// '73 2002 Tii
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks///M2 View Post
We feel like the car dying was FRM related not starter.


As multiple CAN signals were not being identified by FRM.

Copy that; I replaced my FRM recently
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST