BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #23
Serxhio24
United_States
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokwrx View Post
Yep, what's the issue with that. This is not a Civic. How much is a custom flash? It's a fair price when compared to others.
I have a G1 kit too awaiting install, also have Alex's GTS flash. Nothing wrong with the price it just doesn't make sense since they are all similar. Curious to see how my flash from Alex works when the kit is installed..
Appreciate 1
irokwrx765.00
      07-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #24
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ESS G1 BC

Since I have been down this road, I will say this. Alex tune is GREAT for NA, ESS tune is GREAT for SC. I am giving you this advice for free. I have paid the DCT tax,.
Concealed Weapon: 11 BMW e92 M3 DCT ESS G1
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #25
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Quote:
UPDATE: After getting my local tuner to flash the DCT to the EU GTS (he said it was the same as just the EU flash) the car just did not feel just right. So I reached out to Alex and set up a date for him to flash it. All went well (He is a great guy, I had to make him take my money) with the flash but it still did not shift right. Then I realized that ESS sells a flash for SC cars.....I felt so stupid! I bought it, had it overnighted, flashed it. and now I can't stop smiling! So long story short if you go ESS SC just get the DCT tune/flash and call it a day!
Sorry for a stupid question, but what does the Ess DCT software actually do?
Just installed the g1 myself and hear a little ringing sound around 2k rpm sometime.
Ordering a meth kit soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #26
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Yep, what's the issue with that. This is not a Civic. How much is a custom flash? It's a fair price when compared to others.
It's not a civic, but they're about the same price. $500 for a DCT tune is absurd.
      09-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #27
irokwrx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ESS G1 BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpan08 View Post
Sorry for a stupid question, but what does the Ess DCT software actually do?
Just installed the g1 myself and hear a little ringing sound around 2k rpm sometime.
Ordering a meth kit soon.
After running the G1 for awhile I would recommend the following. If you are running the smaller pully replace the gates belt with the pk6 2115 (I believe that's the number its made for a Porsche) its 5mm smaller and feels like sandpaper and rubber, it does not slip! Replace the belt tensioner, get the ess DCT tune ( be sure to tell them you are SC when ordering) and get some sort of boost Guage to make sure you are making the correct boost. I was not at first! As far as the bell sound I have no clue.
Concealed Weapon: 11 BMW e92 M3 DCT ESS G1
Appreciate 2
ToddinTN504.00
Crazy8.M3276.00
      09-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #28
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After running the G1 for awhile I would recommend the following. If you are running the smaller pully replace the gates belt with the pk6 2115 (I believe that's the number its made for a Porsche) its 5mm smaller and feels like sandpaper and rubber, it does not slip! Replace the belt tensioner, get the ess DCT tune ( be sure to tell them you are SC when ordering) and get some sort of boost Guage to make sure you are making the correct boost. I was not at first! As far as the bell sound I have no clue.
thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #29
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
It's not a civic, but they're about the same price. $500 for a DCT tune is absurd.
Your build looks absolutely insane
Appreciate 1
acarr6407.50
      10-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #30
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
My car is ESS SC.
I worked with Alex and he knows the ESS software well and provided insight into the relationship between the Engine tune and the DCT tune.

The OP has a similar issue to the one I had, and I resolved it, per Alex advice, by reseting the ESS adaptation.

Alex does not have to do ESS tune to be helpful.

I have no special knowledge beyond my experience. YMMV
To clarify, were you able to use the Reset Adaption Data option via the ESS E-Flash software or did you have Alex reset?

Reason I ask is because I tried to reset via E-Flash, but no luck. Menu option is there, but every time I clicked, it just threw up an error message. I contacted ESS directly and they stated "E-Flash is not yet designed to offer this function on the S65 powertrain. You have to use a service computer for this."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #31
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Quote:
My car is ESS SC.
I worked with Alex and he knows the ESS software well and provided insight into the relationship between the Engine tune and the DCT tune.

The OP has a similar issue to the one I had, and I resolved it, per Alex advice, by reseting the ESS adaptation.

Alex does not have to do ESS tune to be helpful.

I have no special knowledge beyond my experience. YMMV
To clarify, were you able to use the Reset Adaption Data option via the ESS E-Flash software or did you have Alex reset?

Reason I ask is because I tried to reset via E-Flash, but no luck. Menu option is there, but every time I clicked, it just threw up an error message. I contacted ESS directly and they stated "E-Flash is not yet designed to offer this function on the S65 powertrain. You have to use a service computer for this."
Yes, we reset with the ESS software with no error.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #32
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
So strange! ESS reiterated this is not possible on an S65 (it is available for E39 and E46) via E-Flash and that the adaption reset has nothing to do with the transmission, even it if were functional. They said its only possible through a "service computer".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #33
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Quote:
So strange! ESS reiterated this is not possible on an S65 (it is available for E39 and E46) via E-Flash and that the adaption reset has nothing to do with the transmission, even it if were functional. They said its only possible through a "service computer".
To clarify, the ESS reset adaptation on the engine, not on the DCT.

According to Alex, the DCT reacts to the engine torque which IS controlled by the engine.

So the ESS reset is related to the DCT indirectly.

Honestly, I know nothing. In my case it helped with the shifting after the Euro+3.62 DCT programming.

In addition, another thing that helped during trackday was tilting the car and adding 1L of dct fluid. I have the Slone pan.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #34
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serxhio24 View Post
I have a G1 kit too awaiting install, also have Alex's GTS flash. Nothing wrong with the price it just doesn't make sense since they are all similar. Curious to see how my flash from Alex works when the kit is installed..
How did this work out for you? Interested in hearing how this worked for others besides Irokwrx as well. I, like most people on this thread, have the alex gts tune but I am looking to install a ESS supercharger in the near future.

Irokwrx, did you get the heavy steering back? I believe that is in the motor tune so Im guessing maybe not?
Appreciate 1
LTY122419.50
      12-13-2022, 06:53 AM   #35
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is exactly what I plan to do. Bought a G1 supercharged E92 recently and it chirps at moderate/high acceleration between gears. Planning to swap supercharger pulleys to the 93oct one and change to a smaller belt and new tensioner.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0