BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

Mporium BMW

04-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
kosz888
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp Manual

M3 Servicing BMW dealership vs Independent

My major service will be coming up soon and am wondering if I should use my local BMW service center or my local reputable performance Indy.
Should I use the BMW dealership? I'm not sure if the service performed will be to a higher standard than my local Indy.

How many of you guys use BMW and how many go with an Indy and why?

The main things I'm looking at are.
1. Re-sale (BMW log book stamp vs Indy)
2. Quality of work / Cost needs to be fair.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 Harrop S/C

A good Indy is almost always better than the dealer for all but the newest highest spec models. Not always cheaper though.

How old is your car and what is the service history like on it ? Has it always been serviced at a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
kosz888
Private
Rep

Its a 2008 model and was always serviced at bmw by the previous owner.
Local BMW wants $500 to replace oil and oil filter only, and an extra $600 for spark plugs.
That doesn't sound very appealing to me when I can order the plugs myself for about $100.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:19 AM   #4
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosz888 View Post
Local BMW wants $500 to replace oil and oil filter only, and an extra $600 for spark plugs.
That doesn't sound very appealing to me when I can order the plugs myself for about $100.
I think you just answered your own question!! And I think most on here, like me, go to indy shops. I sure you'll receive local recommendations from Brisbane based members ......
      04-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
kosz888
Private
Rep

Yeah I know of a few Indy shops that I can use in Bne.
For those of you that bought used M3, did the service history location play a major factor when buying (ie BMW vs Indy) ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i believe that most people know dealerships are a rip off..especially having pretty much apprentices working on your car for top dollar.
many people have also developed a good relationship with their indy and know they will be taken care of. for me personally, as long as there is a good maintenance/service history, i am not fussed who did it (even if the owner himself did it, just like i do my own work)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
jmo
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

I have a 2008 and have been trying to sell for a while. Everyone has asked if it has been serviced by BMW. I explain that the likes of Prestige and Performance come very well recommended in the community but its then down to them to do the research to find out if that is the case.

Consider when you plan to sell. If it is not too far off you might want to fork out the extra cash to have the full BMW service history. If you're keeping it long term the savings of going indy should outweigh the potential negative impact on resale.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosz888 View Post
Its a 2008 model and was always serviced at bmw by the previous owner.
$500 oil change?!

Wtffff
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
kosz888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
$500 oil change?!

Wtffff
must be F1 grade oil
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #10
Josparky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3; 2012 E88 135i

Problem is most people (non car enthusiasts) think service done by the dealerships are the best and genuine... hence always ask if the car was serviced by the dealerships.

Car enthusiasts who have done diys and have relationships with Indys know that dealership service is a ripoff and have apprenticelships working on your car... i don’t think the average Joe would know this... was speaking to few of my neighbours and they have not even opened up the bonnet of their cars... not even once... since they bought their cars...😯
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josparky View Post
Problem is most people (non car enthusiasts) think service done by the dealerships are the best and genuine... hence always ask if the car was serviced by the dealerships.

Car enthusiasts who have done diys and have relationships with Indys know that dealership service is a ripoff and have apprenticelships working on your car... i don't think the average Joe would know this... was speaking to few of my neighbours and they have not even opened up the bonnet of their cars... not even once... since they bought their cars...😯
Agree there. The BMW dealers in general overcharge and under perform. They are trained on stock cars and actively dissuaded by BMW to become involved in modified vehicles The E9x could be said to be in a phase that mainly an enthusiast will buy and likely have their preferred indy anyway. It's not like there's any warranty left on any of these cars and the expectations dealer service history diminishes when the warranty period has finished. Mike Weber at Prestige and Performance in Brisbane was raised. I've known Mike for years and he was an apprentice at Motorline BMW and would be one of the most competent operators in the business and has a large workshop with first grade mechanics. If you are servicing the car for reliability and longevity your Indy should come first and there are awesome ones in every state capital even country towns like Ballina. The other aspect is the good personal long term relationship you have with your Indy who will often service Audi and Merc too for when you go to the dark side or have family members with different brands
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Only upside of dealerships is the 2 year warranty of installed parts and service book stamps when selling. Nothing more or less. We all have been burnt from time to time I'll admit but always get a second opinion is what I have learnt from my experience.
Dealership labour and prices of parts can be a joke unless you stand your ground firmly. They will step all over you if you are soft.
I have done all my servicing for one of my gem bmws at one dealership for the stamping which looks great in the book and the history shows every step if I ever need to let her go to someone else and resale value could be a positive factor.

Frankly 1 out of every 2 visits to dealer ended in heartbreak and stress due to bullshit ultimate service marketing gimmick and they have never made it easy for an enthusiast like me to ensure I got what I wanted. I always won at the end but it has been an uneasy process. We all deserve to be treated fairly.

I have tried indys for my other bmws that didnt have perfect records on book when purchasing them and 90% of them were cheap on price but dodgy on workmanship, atleast in my city.

After many years of owning these cars I have finally found a good and honest indy mechanic that looks after my older bmws with great peace of mind. But my gosh what a painful journey it has been to find a good mechanic in this day and age.

Finally I am learning how to turn a wrench and service my older bmws myself which surely has to be the greatest satisfaction a man can get that is passionate.

Either have a good mechanic or stand your ground firmly if you like visiting dealerships. We all live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #13
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

My situation is the opposite
I have a platinum level tech that I have a total trust and friendship with, at the local dealer.
He's unbelievably skilled and thorough, and the only one who works on my 3 bimmers
Appreciate 0