BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyP View Post
I find it interesting that so many people are saying that after this "last good M3" they are switching to Porsches. Porsche has been around and making great cars for some time now, why didn't you buy one of those then? The M3 is pretty different from a 911 and both are very good at what they do - I happen to own both so feel somewhat qualified to say that. I really think all the current owners who are thinking of switching to a Porsche should just go ahead but (if financially feasible) keep the M3. They complement each other very well and do not feel duplicative at all IMO.

Also, on another point my 997.1 C2S weighs 3210 lbs with 2/3 tank, no driver no payload. I weighed it on corner scales.
I'll bite. I'll tell you honestly why I didn't buy a Porsche this go around. I COULDN'T AFFORD IT. There, I said it. But here's why. A new 911 was totally out of the question financially right now. I have 2 teenage boys in parochial/private high school whom are going to college soon. A mortgage and countless other financial obligations just didn't make a new Porsche 911 a feasible purchase AT THIS MOMENT. I stress the last part. A used 911 was an option but Porsche Approved rates suck for a car that is well, used. When the opportunity presented itself to get a NEW BMW M3 with loyalty perks thrown in and at a value price, it became a no-brainer. A 911 is a #1 in my book but I got a SOLID #1a with a real backseat and useable space. I'm totally fine with that until the kids are gone. Which won't be very long now. I might miss them.

Last edited by PhillyNate; 12-03-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
So after 10+ years and around 14 different BMW cars in the family, I've left the BMW family. I'm not going to get into the details of it but there were many factors that played a part in my decision.
I may be confusing you with someone else, but I thought you were 22 and in college. How do you get to 10+ years?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I may be confusing you with someone else, but I thought you were 22 and in college. How do you get to 10+ years?
I'm 22 and they've run in the family. Sis, Dad, Mom, cousins. Keep reading.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
I'm 22 and they've run in the family. Sis, Dad, Mom, cousins. Keep reading.
I see.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I see.
Yeah. Said it in my original post as well. You only read half of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #28
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

The only thing they need to do to keep me is make the F80 M3 lighter, nevermind how much. Looking at the M5, i already know what's in store in the next M3. It will get the M5's active differential, suspension design, a better steering (from 1M exercise), and a slightly lower spec DCT (6MT too). M3 usually gets its own bag of tricks and i suspect it will be in the engine dept. M3 drivers demand more throttle response so i am really hoping to see a tri-turbo implementation. I couldn't be happier if M makes good profit. Churn out more M models for all they want. We could always do with more options so long as they dont mess up their core M3/M5 range. I wont feel any less about my M3 even if they launch a M MPV or trailer truck.

I am very likely to buy the next M3, but my wife is already making some noise about the size of the car. She is apprehensive about driving my M3 now. Yes, she is no Danica Patrick and sucks behind the wheel I was hoping to pass the M3 to her when the M5 arrives. I am also looking at the 991 as it's a good size to manage for her. Maybe i won't tell her the F30 is slightly longer than the E90...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #29
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

NA engines.

Otherwise I'm gone after my e9x m3
      12-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #30
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
The only thing they need to do to keep me is make the F80 M3 lighter, nevermind how much. Looking at the M5, i already know what's in store in the next M3. It will get the M5's active differential, suspension design, a better steering (from 1M exercise), and a slightly lower spec DCT (6MT too). M3 usually gets its own bag of tricks and i suspect it will be in the engine dept. M3 drivers demand more throttle response so i am really hoping to see a tri-turbo implementation. I couldn't be happier if M makes good profit. Churn out more M models for all they want. We could always do with more options so long as they dont mess up their core M3/M5 range. I wont feel any less about my M3 even if they launch a M MPV or trailer truck.

I am very likely to buy the next M3, but my wife is already making some noise about the size of the car. She is apprehensive about driving my M3 now. Yes, she is no Danica Patrick and sucks behind the wheel I was hoping to pass the M3 to her when the M5 arrives. I am also looking at the 991 as it's a good size to manage for her. Maybe i won't tell her the F30 is slightly longer than the E90...
Yes, you have got to keep the M3 in the family when you step up to the new M5! E92 M3 handles so well, she won't even notice its size... I sure didn't when flinging it around an autocross!

Also, I tested out Porsche before putting down a deposit on the E92 M3 but I could never sit high enough and see out well enough! Okay, I know, I know, that probably makes people laugh and I'm sure it's not a problem for guys. But for us ladies, it might very well be.

The E92 has a fantastic seating position and outward visibility for... uhm... shorter people. I'm 5 foot 5 inches.
      12-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I see no need for another BMW for the next 4 years mine will do just fine thank you.

If I get another depends on three things,

1) If the Customer is given a choice of Non-RFT or RFT. Not nice to give no choice in this matter.
2) Careful use of the so well respected ///M Badge
3) BMW Dealership survys should be implemented. BMW Dealers world wide should represent the BMW AG quality standard and not treat customers like I was treated in IDAHO when I had a flat and cracked wheels

When I am in the market for a new car again the above 3 items will be my priorities for shopping.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Yes, you have got to keep the M3 in the family when you step up to the new M5! E92 M3 handles so well, she won't even notice its size... I sure didn't when flinging it around an autocross!

Also, I tested out Porsche before putting down a deposit on the E92 M3 but I could never sit high enough and see out well enough! Okay, I know, I know, that probably makes people laugh and I'm sure it's not a problem for guys. But for us ladies, it might very well be.

The E92 has a fantastic seating position and outward visibility for... uhm... shorter people. I'm 5 foot 5 inches.
Congrats on your M3 purchase
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You bought your M? Congrats! Enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
You bought your M? Congrats! Enjoy in good health.
Yeah, fiiiiiinally huh??

Congrats on your new AMG!! The '12 C63 AMG is a superb driving machine.
      12-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #35
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

straight from the newest car and driver...
"There’s a key philosophical difference between the M3 and the C63 that is best illustrated by their roofs. To save weight and lower the center of gravity, the M3 has a carbon-fiber roof panel. Every C63 coupe has a giant glass sunroof that adds weight up high. The M3 is more than 400 pounds lighter and has a 1.5-inch-lower center of gravity—two reasons the BMW enjoys livelier handling than the C63. Directional changes happen faster and more lucidly while the tires give up grip more progressively, making the M3 easier to gather back up. From the manual gearbox to the higher-revving engine, the M3 is the more involving car."
Sooo debate over....the M is over 400 pounds lighter then the coupe....I'm sure the benz is a great car, but even with its awesome motor i can't get over the honda accord looks for 80k+....as far as the M name being plastered all over everything i agree...today a gentleman passed me driving a new X3 with a giant M badge on the back that he put on for some odd reason...that being said there is no worse offender of this then AMG...please...AMG R-Class anyone??? But to answer your question....to earn my business back BMW just has to keep doing what they are doing...if the move to the F80 is as progressive as the move from the E46 to the E92 i'm sold....if its a glorified 335 ill be moving on to a 991 911...and as far as all audis looking the same...in my humble opinion the A7 and the S5 are two of the better looking cars on the road..

Last edited by Chachi112; 12-04-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #36
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, fiiiiiinally huh??

Congrats on your new AMG!! The '12 C63 AMG is a superb driving machine.
You got the car, that's all that matters! :P Thank you! I'm sure you're as excited as I am for your car! Make sure to post pics when she comes in!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #37
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

All BMW has to do to keep me is to keep my e90 m3 running like it does. I cannot imagine ever needing more performance or more comfort than it provides. I seriously doubt that anyone here can outdrive this car and needs more
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #38
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm 5"2. Beat that. AND I'm a guy. WTF? Fucking genetics.

Back to the OP..

Honestly, I think its all relative. I think the current M3 has its flaws but it also has pros to make up for it. The sound mainly, to me at least, is pure sex. Because I'll be upgrading to the next M3 from a 335i, I will be somewhat ambivalent about the change because I'm already used to the torque which will be awesome for DD, but then again I'm missing out on the sound.

But this all wont matter once I can afford a GT3RS
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #39
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

this may sound dumb - but im not too fond of the name of the coupe being M4... lol.... M3 is a legendary name - you cant just change that after 20+ years in production of one of the greatest cars around! I've always been a fan of coupes more than sedans (although i do alternate between the two). I dunno i guess i'm just resistent to changing names...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #40
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
this may sound dumb - but im not too fond of the name of the coupe being M4... lol.... M3 is a legendary name - you cant just change that after 20+ years in production of one of the greatest cars around! I've always been a fan of coupes more than sedans (although i do alternate between the two). I dunno i guess i'm just resistent to changing names...
I agree 100%. M4 doesn't even sound good. But then again, we've all grown up in a generation with the "M3, M5, M6" ingrained in our heads.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Simple, really:

1) No turbo
2) Keep it below 3,200 pound
Otherwise, I'll be in a used 997.2 GT3.
Pretty much sums it up for me. The weight is secondary but I am just not into FI motors. Probably 991 S or maybe even 2015 Mustang.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #42
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
I smell troll...

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #43
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Clearly you are in denial and trying to justify your purchase as being better than the m3 but you are way off.

Here is an actual scale weighed m3 v. c63.

m3 WITH driver 3700 (driver was 160) therefore without-3540.

C63 WITHOUT driver was 4000. .

So its actually more than 400 pounds. There is nothing to debate, this was on the same scale, same day etc.

So in your quest for a light weight car, enjoy your 450 pound heavier car

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post2864774

Nuff said
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #44
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

The milking of the M and/or AMG is a marketing and an economical sound decision for both BMW and MBZ. Let's face it, that we are just a very small or minute minority in their overall marketing decision. They will build cars for profit, if not they will cease to exists. A lot of M3 drivers want all those creature comfort with a touch of sportiness in it or the other way around. It will be the market that will dictate what cars they will produce.
Appreciate 0