BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal
Well that's great to hear. Reason why I don't want to track is I don't think I'm experienced enough to do so.

Why? It'l be to loud?
You think others who track were just born with the skill?

As other have said, turbos are nice for city driving because of the torque. In the E9x M3, torque in the gears you'd actually be driving in on the road when you decide you want to make a quick move is "fine" by performance car standards and "good" by overall car standards, but certainly not amazing. If you downshift to 3rd, it's pretty good, and 2nd is great, but few people will do that on a regular basis and NOBODY just cruises in 2nd to always have torque available. The gas mileage is bad enough and it's just plain obnoxious even with the stock exhaust. It never bothered me because I just don't feel the need for gobs of torque during regular driving and if I wanted a torque monster I would have bought something else. Point and shoot cars don't interest me. Plus it was worth dealing with the S65 during regular driving for the thrills it delivers on twisty back roads and especially on track.

Don't wait 2 years to track your car. If you don't arrive with an ego, you'll stay within your limits initially and build carefully with help from your instructor. You're not going to learn anything in 2 years of driving an M3 on the road that will help you on the track, and if you do, chances are you were driving in a way that was unsafe for public roads and would have been safer to do on the track.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Oh good to know. But still, I would like to keep the stock exhaust stock if I sell the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You think others who track were just born with the skill?

As other have said, turbos are nice for city driving because of the torque. In the E9x M3, torque in the gears you'd actually be driving in on the road when you decide you want to make a quick move is "fine" by performance car standards and "good" by overall car standards, but certainly not amazing. If you downshift to 3rd, it's pretty good, and 2nd is great, but few people will do that on a regular basis and NOBODY just cruises in 2nd to always have torque available. The gas mileage is bad enough and it's just plain obnoxious even with the stock exhaust. It never bothered me because I just don't feel the need for gobs of torque during regular driving and if I wanted a torque monster I would have bought something else. Point and shoot cars don't interest me. Plus it was worth dealing with the S65 during regular driving for the thrills it delivers on twisty back roads and especially on track.

Don't wait 2 years to track your car. If you don't arrive with an ego, you'll stay within your limits initially and build carefully with help from your instructor. You're not going to learn anything in 2 years of driving an M3 on the road that will help you on the track, and if you do, chances are you were driving in a way that was unsafe for public roads and would have been safer to do on the track.
Yes people learn but this is kind off my very first owned car, so I should probably get experience from regular driving first, I know M3 is a pretty pwerful car for that but I'm pretty sure I can handle it if I don't do anything stupid.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal
Yes people learn but this is kind off my very first owned car, so I should probably get experience from regular driving first, I know M3 is a pretty pwerful car for that but I'm pretty sure I can handle it if I don't do anything stupid.
Oh ok, didn't realize you were basically new to driving. In that case yes I'd hold off because an M3 probably isn't the best first car, although I guess for someone who's responsible and has matured past showing off to girls and initiating/responding to stop light challenges, it can be manageable. Stay safe!

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #26
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Oh ok, didn't realize you were basically new to driving. In that case yes I'd hold off because an M3 probably isn't the best first car, although I guess for someone who's responsible and has matured past showing off to girls and initiating/responding to stop light challenges, it can be manageable. Stay safe!
You're implying the M3 is impressing to girls in the first place.

On a side note, I hate when people try to race me just because I'm in an M3. Usually I will just ignore them, but sometimes I'll play. I embarassed an R33 Skyline after he kept trying me for 5 minutes and then I finally gave in. And the other day I was driving a little fast on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way) and I was about to pass a Turbo 2 RX7 that was driving slow AF in the left lane, so I got over to the right and tried to pass, and he sped up like he was trying to race me. Needless to say, a car was in the right lane ahead so I slowed down while he took off doing at least 70mph in a 45. Complete moron, and probably felt like he "beat me". I was just trying to pass him and get to my destination FFS
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #27
kawstik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

My M3 feels like an extension of myself on the track. Once dialed in, no other car I've ever owned or driven (R8, RS4, 63 AMG, etc) feels so connected. So empowering. So exhilarating.

It's really hard to describe until you take the time to understand every bit of glory you can extract from, in my opinion, the greatest budget performance car ever made.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #28
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||||||||||
You're implying the M3 is impressing to girls in the first place.

On a side note, I hate when people try to race me just because I'm in an M3. Usually I will just ignore them, but sometimes I'll play. I embarassed an R33 Skyline after he kept trying me for 5 minutes and then I finally gave in. And the other day I was driving a little fast on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way) and I was about to pass a Turbo 2 RX7 that was driving slow AF in the left lane, so I got over to the right and tried to pass, and he sped up like he was trying to race me. Needless to say, a car was in the right lane ahead so I slowed down while he took off doing at least 70mph in a 45. Complete moron, and probably felt like he "beat me". I was just trying to pass him and get to my destination FFS
Had the same experience in the GT4 with a Ducati. It's like, "Yes, I know your ride is faster for a lot less cash, and I couldn't possibly care any less. Also, unless you're the type who only goes for effortless victories, go pick on someone your own size."

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #29
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I mean, it's always fun to have a BMW to pick up the girl you met on Tinder for a date
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #30
Get lit
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Personally my m3 puts me in the seat on a hard take off from dead stop. Of course I have some performance parts installed. You just can't buy the car and keep it stock, the mod bug always wil bite and you get the itch! City driving is not bad. Stop and go traffic sucks, when in my m I just always feel the need to stretch the ole girls legs... ( not the hooker in the trunk legs, that's later on) ha The s65 is just pure raw power, which is so damn sweet when you hit 8600 and then snap the next gear!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #31
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
It's nothing spectacular. it was exciting at first but you get used to it, alas supercharger
Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
It's fast enough for me and has the bonus of a great soundtrack. It's controlled, doesn't really fight back, definitely not a "scary" fast experience.
I'd like to expand on this comment - the E9X M3 doesn't 'fight' you through acceleration. By this, I mean it is a controllable feel under WOT, whereas many cars (Mustangs for example) feel on the edge when accelerating in this class or can become unstable under WOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #32
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Troll
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #33
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Doesn't feel like that at all. If you've ever driven a Camry, that's exactly how the E9x accelerates.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #34
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
It can be very harmless like any other car just with an harder suspension. Then on the other
hand, when you press the ///M button, the acceleration is breathtaking.
Power comes instantly and it presses you in your seat!
I'm glad I got an M3 that doesn't have an M button. It's awesome always being in M mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #35
Atombyte
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 2016 535i, 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2016 535i  [0.00]
2013 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3
Doesn't feel like that at all. If you've ever driven a Camry, that's exactly how the E9x accelerates.
You must have a supercharger. My stock E92 M3 keeps losing races to Kia Rios
      06-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #36
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

A friend is looking for a car to replace his E90 335i and we went and test drove some stuff today and it made me (and him) appreciate my e92 M3 a lot more.

We drove a C63 and immediately noticed that it didn't feel as connected and no matter how we tried, we could not get it to pin us to the seat out of the hole. It would either spin like crazy or we would have to feather it so much that it went no where fast until we got it rolling, at which point it pulls like a train but still not dramatic (which I assume is what you are after)

When we hopped into the Audi S5, it was quite obviously a lesser sports car but the torque was immediate and exhilarating and I can understand why people love it. Instant torque and AWD, died up top.

The new 335i was the same way, with a little more spin. It was instant torque that died up top.

When we got back into the m3, I left it in D3 mode (how I generally drive it) and gave it a little gas and it felt similar to the C63, undramatic and boring by some standards. I took it up to D5 and gave it some gas and it pulled a lot stronger (due to holding the gears longer) Finally I put it in S5, and it pinned us both to the seat and jerked us around through the gears.

My point is: the m3 is the type of car you have to DRIVE to enjoy and understand. If you're expecting it to wow you on a quick test drive without knowing how to really push it, you're gonna be disappointed but once you own it and learn it and drive it more and more you will love it more and more. You will learn to appreciate why its so highly regarded.

You can find a car that will be more easily exhilarating from a stop light pretty easily and much cheaper....but you can get an M3 and learn to make it as fun from a stop light and more fun everywhere else
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #37
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atombyte View Post
You must have a supercharger. My stock E92 M3 keeps losing races to Kia Rios
Once I get a blower (hopefully come December), I'll hopefully have the same feeling stock 335i owners get.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #38
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

This m3 feels more like a hotrod than a luxury car. My friend who has a 335i said this car has raw power compared to his refined power.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #39
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Buying a used E9x M3 and then adding a supercharger would be quite a bit less money than an F8x M3. And the supercharged acceleration would NEVER EVER bore you. And the power would be very linear, especially compared to a turbo. The superchargers in the E9x M3's make it feel like you simply have a MUCH larger engine under the hood. And there's no lag in power with a blower.

My supercharged DCT E90 M3 was easy to drive around town (when it was a street-going car). I think the comments regarding it being frustrating around town are saying that you would be frustrated driving it on the street knowing it could go SO much faster than you're allowed to go on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #40
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Buying a used E9x M3 and then adding a supercharger would be quite a bit less money than an F8x M3. And the supercharged acceleration would NEVER EVER bore you. And the power would be very linear, especially compared to a turbo. The superchargers in the E9x M3's make it feel like you simply have a MUCH larger engine under the hood. And there's no lag in power with a blower.

My supercharged DCT E90 M3 was easy to drive around town (when it was a street-going car). I think the comments regarding it being frustrating around town are saying that you would be frustrated driving it on the street knowing it could go SO much faster than you're allowed to go on the streets.
I would like to do that but doesn't adding a supercharger can like, cause more problems or maintenance to the original parts or it will only be supercharger side?

And regarding the supercharger. Let's say I get the cheapest ESS one (the cheapest one I suppose will suffice to get that thrill?). That's 6995$ USD. That's 8952$ CAD. I can ge a used E92 M3 for around 50000$ CAD that has around 30k km to 40k km, which is a good buy right? So total M3 supercharge would be around 60K. A used M4 with 30k KM is around 70K. So it still worth it? How complicated is it to DIY supercharger install? Or it's not recommended at all to DIY?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #41
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I would like to do that but doesn't adding a supercharger can like, cause more problems or maintenance to the original parts or it will only be supercharger side?

And regarding the supercharger. Let's say I get the cheapest ESS one (the cheapest one I suppose will suffice to get that thrill?). That's 6995$ USD. That's 8952$ CAD. I can ge a used E92 M3 for around 50000$ CAD that has around 30k km to 40k km, which is a good buy right? So total M3 supercharge would be around 60K. A used M4 with 30k KM is around 70K. So it still worth it? How complicated is it to DIY supercharger install? Or it's not recommended at all to DIY?
Yes. The M3 already has a highly stressed engine, and adding forced induction will only increase those stresses. More fuel and air in the cylinder means higher compression ratios and bigger explosions. Not a recipe for rod bearing longevity. This is why people who want to avoid shrapneling engine parts will do far more than simply tack on an aftermarket supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #42
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
It can be very harmless like any other car just with an harder suspension. Then on the other
hand, when you press the ///M button, the acceleration is breathtaking.
Power comes instantly and it presses you in your seat! Everytime you hit the gas pedal and the more you climb the RPMs, the harder is the initial push into your seat. All that complimented by the intoxicating exotic engine sound ( 5k + ).
The faster you get, the higher is your concentration level.
After a spirited drive, you feel hours later the rush that the ///M car gave you...
Yep, that what's it feels like

///M
Very primitive explanation...it's even more intense...
Quote:
It does pushes you in your seat and it'll shock you the first time you hit the ///M button aka unleash the beast

ATAK or OEM exhaust mod ---> search
The M button changes absolutely nothing in regards to WOT acceleration. It increases throttle sensitivity, not power.
      06-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #43
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
The M button changes absolutely nothing in regards to WOT acceleration. It increases throttle sensitivity, not power.
i also lol'ed
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #44
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I can ge a used E92 M3 for around 50000$ CAD that has around 30k km to 40k km, which is a good buy right?
lol no.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0