BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

ecs spacer issue

hello I order some spacers for the car m3 e92 15mm front 12mm for the rear but now the front end vibrate which didt have before the spacer they look well made good quality hub center and I did the install everything was done right have anyone had any issues with this spacer
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
hello I order some spacers for the car m3 e92 15mm front 12mm for the rear but now the front end vibrate which didt have before the spacer they look well made good quality hub center and I did the install everything was done right have anyone had any issues with this spacer
Installing spacers is surprisingly tricky. You have to place it in the hub and turn it until it does not wiggle. There's a sweet spot. Take the wheel off and wiggle the spacer where you have it now, it'll probably move a bit. Then spin it until it doesn't move at all.
      02-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Quote:
Installing spacers is surprisingly tricky. You have to place it in the hub and turn it until it does not wiggle. There's a sweet spot. Take the wheel off and wiggle the spacer where you have it now, it'll probably move a bit. Then spin it until it doesn't move at all.
I probably will try that and see if that fix the issue shifted perspective a YouTuber had to get his change do to vibration I was just wondering if anyone have the same issue with the ecs spacer
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
sgreer78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Cayman GT4

You're also adding leverage to the front, the extra force may be enough to feel an imbalance in your wheel/tire setup. If you can't sort it out with playing with the spacers, try that. I had issues with OEM ZCP wheels vibrating with spacers, aftermarket wheels were fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
You're also adding leverage to the front, the extra force may be enough to feel an imbalance in your wheel/tire setup. If you can't sort it out with playing with the spacers, try that. I had issues with OEM ZCP wheels vibrating with spacers, aftermarket wheels were fine.
I have oem 220 wheels I have to play with it I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
jazzy1999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Keep us posted..I was a click away from purchasing the same set spacers from ECS. I have the stock OEM set up myself.

QUOTE=nekbreaker;24390984]hello I order some spacers for the car m3 e92 15mm front 12mm for the rear but now the front end vibrate which didt have before the spacer they look well made good quality hub center and I did the install everything was done right have anyone had any issues with this spacer[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy1999 View Post
Keep us posted..I was a click away from purchasing the same set spacers from ECS. I have the stock OEM set up myself.

QUOTE=nekbreaker;24390984]hello I order some spacers for the car m3 e92 15mm front 12mm for the rear but now the front end vibrate which didt have before the spacer they look well made good quality hub center and I did the install everything was done right have anyone had any issues with this spacer
[/QUOTE]
I will mess with it tomorrow and see if I can get that fix but ecs stand behind their product I already contacted them on the issue I will try the turnermotorsport brand and see what happens not before trying to get it right with this 15mm ecs set lol
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

I've had 6 different sets of ECS spacers and until I figured out I needed to turn them to fit the hub, they vibrated. Also a set from h&r did the same
      02-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
use a wire brush to clean the hub and matting surfaces. then apply a light coat of anti seize and install the spacer. turn the spacer a few times on the hubs to set them. install the wheel and torque with minimal weight on the tire. ( let the jack down just enough so the tire touches the ground).
      02-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Another spacer vibrates thread. Do people not know how to search google?
      02-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #11
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
use a wire brush to clean the hub and matting surfaces. then apply a light coat of anti seize and install the spacer. turn the spacer a few times on the hubs to set them. install the wheel and torque with minimal weight on the tire. ( let the jack down just enough so the tire touches the ground).
I did all that I will take them off tomorrow and check it again torque the wheel to specification
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
another dude that dont like to help anyone just dont say anything if you didn't like it buddy that's what I do when I see a triple threat about something here
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
another dude that dont like to help anyone just dont say anything if you didn't like it buddy that's what I do when I see a triple threat about something here
I've helped plenty.

It's just some of these issues are all over the web if you bothered to search.
      02-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #14
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've helped plenty.

I like a response from someone that had the same issue that's all if that's a problem with you dont read the dam post I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #15
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've helped plenty.

not entertaining this comment from you have a great life dude thanks for nothing anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
not entertaining this comment from you have a great life dude thanks for nothing anyway lol
https://www.m3post.com/forums/google...er%20vibration

I've ran spacers from ECS, TMS, MS, H&R, and a no name brand. All have performed the same. The only time i've experienced vibrations was due to not properly torquing down the wheel evenly.
      02-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/google...er%20vibration

I've ran spacers from ECS, TMS, MS, H&R, and a no name brand. All have performed the same. The only time i've experienced vibrations was due to not properly torquing down the wheel evenly.
thanks for the info I will get the wheels balance and see if that's the issue but I took the front off and no vibration
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
update I look again took the wheel off and check everything was fine torque the wheel to specs drove the car and vibration was still there took them off and they are on their way back to ecs they will send me the turner motorsports brand and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Turner Motorsports spacers is what I have that caused an issue on my car. With my Apex Arc 8 wheels they caused a wobble on both sides. This is with lugs torqued with craftsman torque wrench:

I had to grind the spacers all around the center. They had a chamfer there that didn’t mate correctly with the inside of the wheels. This is what I did:

This is how the wheels run now:

Last edited by Biginboca; 02-17-2019 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Turner Motorsports spacers is what I have that caused an issue on my car. With my Apex Arc 8 wheels they caused a vibration on both sides. This is with lugs torqued with craftsman torque wrench:

I had to grind the spacers all around the center. They had a chamfer there that didn’t mate correctly with the inside of the wheels. This is what I did:

This is how the wheels run now:

oh wow what did you used to grind that out just a regular grinder did you grind all 4 or just rears and thanks for that info
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #21
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
oh wow what did you used to grind that out just a regular grinder did you grind all 4 or just rears and thanks for that info
I only run spacers on the rear. I used a regular angle grinder and just went around the spacer removing a little material. It’s likely only an issue with these spacers and these Apex wheels. Something about the fit of the spacers and these wheels, because I’ve run these spacers with VMR wheels without issues.

BTW, I installed this set up at Christmas and I had no idea it was doing this until 3 days ago. I was stopped at a red light and a guy rolled down his window to let me know my back tire was wobbling. I got out and looked all the lugs were tight and I felt nothing but I drove slowly and filmed with my cell phone out the window and sure enough could see the wobble when I watched the video. Never felt it at all and I’ve had the car over 120mph like that!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #22
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
I only run spacers on the rear. I used a regular angle grinder and just went around the spacer removing a little material. It's likely only an issue with these spacers and these Apex wheels. Something about the fit of the spacers and these wheels, because I've run these spacers with VMR wheels without issues.

BTW, I installed this set up at Christmas and I had no idea it was doing this until 3 days ago. I was stopped at a red light and a guy rolled down his window to let me know my back tire was wobbling. I got out and looked all the lugs were tight and I felt nothing but I drove slowly and filmed with my cell phone out the window and sure enough could see the wobble when I watched the video. Never felt it at all and I've had the car over 120mph like that!
I will check that out and see I'm running spacer on the rear with no issues but let's see when I get this turner spacers I really appreciate the info
Appreciate 0