BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

10-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbNRacer View Post
No way, why have I not heard about this b4?!!! This is awesome. Does the system just teather to your mobile phones connection?
Yup. I just use my mobile to provide a wifi hotspot for the Android to connect to.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #24
HerbNRacer
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 ZCP M3

This is on sale, $499 for the e9x!! I’m getting one!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
I had an ebay MMI for my ccc nav and used an android set top box. The MMI connects between the nav controller and the screen and it hi-jacks the signal to the screen for a video input. The problem with that was the MMI has only a composite input and the ccc nav screen has low resolution so the image quality was not great at all. It worked great for years but I wanted better quality.

A few months ago i installed the bimmertech vividscreen which has hdmi inputs and a Hi resolution screen (replacement). I purchased a new Android box so it has been a completely new upgrade. As far as I know, the vividscreen is only for the ccc system.
I'm not sure what is available for CIC nav systems, but the would be good if you could find a device with an hdmi input.

OP, that replacement screen looks cool but I would be hesitant what android is like. Does it have the play store? Is it rooted? How is it controlled? ...just some things that come to mind.

Crappy picture attached but you get the idea
How did you get the blue lighting in all the buttons. Love It.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Yes it has Play Store. Not sure if it's rooted. Touch screen controlled and iDrive knob works to scroll across the icons.

The Android screen utilizes the Aux input of the CIC (so you gotta have Aux). One of the drawbacks is that sound can EITHER come from the iDrive side (eg. Radio) OR the Android side (Waze, Spotify) but not both at the same time.

Plus side is that all Android apps seem to work, including YouTube. I'll be testing Torque Pro with ELM327 when I get mine.
Looks really cool! I wonder if/how the idrive control works when in Waze/Spotify or only when your on the landing screen.

Anyone have this yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuRRYM3 View Post
I have the bimmertech smartview when I did the combox upgrade. This allows me to do MiraCast to my CIC screen. I then run the Android Auto app on my phone and mirror my screen to the CIC screen. All my normal iDrive functions still work great. I turn down the screen brightness on my phone screen to conserve battery.
For tasks like this (turn on hotspot, set screen brightness) look into an app called Tasker. For a logical example, my hotspot enables when the Bluetooth is connected to the car but only if battery is better then %25 or plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
How did you get the blue lighting in all the buttons. Love It.
I waved my magic wand over every led until they were all blue.. and by wand, I mean soldering iron.
      11-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #27
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looks really cool! I wonder if/how the idrive control works when in Waze/Spotify or only when your on the landing screen.

Anyone have this yet?!
Idrive controller does not work within the android app. Only at the main screen.

The device doesn't have a full Bluetooth stack, only for phone calls and music streaming (like Combox). You can't pair BT devices like a mouse or ELM327 to it. So for Torque app to work, you would need an OBD2 WiFi dongle. But with an OBD2 WiFi connected, you cannot connect a wifi connection at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Idrive controller does not work within the android app. Only at the main screen.

The device doesn't have a full Bluetooth stack, only for phone calls and music streaming (like Combox). You can't pair BT devices like a mouse or ELM327 to it. So for Torque app to work, you would need an OBD2 WiFi dongle. But with an OBD2 WiFi connected, you cannot connect a wifi connection at the same time.
There is always something! Thats exactly why I built from scratch. One of the more important things for me was BT to OBD.

How do you determine the BT stack or what capability it has? When I was searching for an android box, I just made sure it had "Bluetooth4.0" which I've never had an issue.
      11-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How do you determine the BT stack or what capability it has? When I was searching for an android box, I just made sure it had "Bluetooth4.0" which I've never had an issue.
I have an ELM327 BT and Torque app. Tried to pair the ELM327 to the Android head unit but was unable to.

Unlike other Android devices (like phones) which allow you to input the pairing code, this Android head unit does not. You can only receive a pairing request on this Android headunit. You must initiate the pairing request from the other device.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #30
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
This is an amazing option to have honestly, the interface and the way it works with the stock system looks like it is surprisingly well thought out and functional. Its kind of a bummer you can't connect a BT OBDII dongle but worst case you can use it with your phone as you normally would and then mirror it onto this screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Even looks like BMW NBT Evo interface. As some reviews have pointed out, there are some minor hiccups. Example, the time network time sync doesn't work well so you need to manually adjust the time. And it forgets the WiFi occasionally. Nothing major, and it's awesome to be able to have Waze on the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #32
AKD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C 6MT

This looks amazing! My only concern is its running Android 4.4.4, which makes me wonder if there's any app compatibility issues or if we won't get support/updates down the road for new features within apps.

Android 5.0 seems like the cutoff point for a lot of newer apps today, which makes me fearful that this could be obsolete within a couple of years (leaving mirroring as the only real advantage).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #33
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

The GPS antenna that comes with the Android unit is a little weak.

I used this GPS antenna splitter cable to share the stock in-car GPS antenna with both the iDrive navigation and the Android head unit. Locks much faster!

http://www.fixmyvw.com/avin-bmw-gps-...ble-20-length/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #34
HerbNRacer
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
United_States
Rep

Just installed my AVIN unit today and absolutely love it so far. Makes me want to sit in the car and watch Netflix all night! Lol. It has all my music, google maps, work and personal email, plus........ It’s a freaking tablet IN your dash!! Don’t know what else to say.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #35
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Right?! Totally freshens up the stock iDrive and brings the car to the modern age.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #36
Inflame
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 m3

Glad to hear, I just ordered one... Was on the verge of going to a non-navi dash, I hate the 08 CCC i-Drive that much!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #37
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

hi all,

pls report back about build quality and installation of the screens!I'm interested in both 10" for 'cutting in dash' and replacement for a CiC screen in two of our cars.

thx
Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #38
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I didn't do the install, had it done at a shop, but didn't seem like anything complex. All required wiring harnesses are provided and are plug n play. We did have a bit of issue remount in the screen as it was slightly thicker than the original iDrive screen and had a whole lot more wires, but some proper cable management took care of that.

Build quality is very good. Looks like stock once installed. The software interface is modeled to look like NBT and fits nicely into the car.

The software has some minor bugs. The timezone and timesync had some issues for me, so I had to manually adjust the time. Also, it might randomly forget the wifi so you need to click to reconnect. The supplied GPS antenna may be weak if your car has tinting (I had slow GPS lock, my friend didn't) so I recommend you get a GPS splitter cable and use back the stock BMW GPS antenna.

Aside from those minor items, I love it!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #39
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Next trackday I'm gonna test RaceChrono in car.
Appreciate 1
jdamore432.50
      12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #40
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
With my CCC iDrive, the only thing I really look at the screen for is the reverse PDC sensors. I use my phone for everything else but would love to have music and maps on the center screen. Does this work with the PDC sensors when I put the car in reverse or will I have to switch back to the iDrive interface for that? I'd probably add the backup cam if I get it but I prefer the sensors.

Also, anyone using this with the CarPlay adapter? I wonder if it is worth the extra if the main thing I would use the screen for is showing music/album art and navigation.

Last question, does it boot to the Android side when you start the car or does it go to iDrive? Maybe it's dependent on which interface you were using last?

Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #41
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

1. Yes works with stock PDC. Automatically switches. The rear cam interface will show both the cam view with dynamic lines, and the PDC 'radar' side by side.

2. Haven't tried CarPlay.

3. It will boot up into whichever interface was last used.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #42
HerbNRacer
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
United_States
Rep

To those asking about install it was pretty easy. There is a video for an e60 that pretty much shows you what to do.

I took a bunch of pics during install, if you all want I can put together a quick DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #43
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Man this is so tempting in the 328i. The ability to run Waze and other apps for navigation and stream music would be awesome.

Has anyone installed this in a non-iDrive car themselves? Curious to see what's involved in modifying the dash.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #44
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Been snooping around a bit on this unit, I've seen a few things pop up. The F30 forum has a large thread going on their unit here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1374452

I've seen a bit on the E90 side, one forum here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424151 and there is an install overview on another forum you can find easily through googling "avin bmw e90" (bimmerpost isn't letting me link it)

There is a competitor (4x4shopcanada) that seems devoted to trashing AVIN, but no information is available on their units from other people. They also seem to use a pretty much identical unit, but with a worse processor. You can also go through the manufacturer in the original post, but it seems like AVIN offers much better support and constant updates (which seem to be necessary).

It does seem like a few problems have popped up on the AVIN systems. They originally had some overheating issues, which was resolved with an updated unit with bigger heat sink. To fit in into the E9x, you have to trim the unit a bit, but it’s not visible. It connects via AUX to the stock system. On CCC, supposedly the unit connects in the back, but CIC you have to connect it to the AUX input in the center console (I believe). Audio quality seems to be iffy through Bluetooth, and okay (but still worse than factory) through the AUX connection.

Looks like it offers the most benefit to people with CCC. May try it out toward the end of this year.
Appreciate 0