BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

02-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
CarlosDanger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 IB

Blackvue dashcam install DR650GW HELP

I was wondering if anyone knows what fuses were used to install this dashcam with the power magic pro. I'm having a issue figuring out the correct fuses for constant power and acc power.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Headlights 62, 84, 86 and horn 57, 79 should be constant. I found three that were acc power: 8,9 and 4. Here is where those three slots are located with add-a-fuses in them:

My car is a 2011.5 E92 so check to make sure your fuse box layout is the same. Here is a picture of the fuse label sheet from my car with the acc power items circled:

Last edited by Theodore; 02-16-2016 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
CarlosDanger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 IB

Thanks! I'll try it out in the morning!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
JRob23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Why not run power magic pro off of the trunk battery? Is there a difference tapping into the fuse box?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
LoLamgs88
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob23 View Post
Why not run power magic pro off of the trunk battery? Is there a difference tapping into the fuse box?
Hm...really good question. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Regurgitating this thread as I finished my blackvue 750 2ch install today and wanted to put down what I did for anyone who may come here in the future as the information was a bit scattered for me.

Ground - put this on the grounding screw to the left of the fuse box.

Permanent Power - put this on fuse 72 (door locks).

Accessory Power - put this on fuse 8 (cigarette lighter).

Here's a thread showing the fuse box diagram for a 2013. I have read some comments that earlier years have different fuse box layouts (?) Mines a 2013.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6205655

Troubleshooting: on my first install the cam would not stay on while the car was off. You can set to a 12 and 12.5 cutoff on the power magic pro.

Turns out my car had the original battery still, and I started getting other errors typical of an old battery in a highly computerized car. Replaced the battery and measured the new battery to a constant 12.4v while the engine was off. I.e. your battery needs to be in shape and expect to use the 12v cutoff.

Wiring: won't get into this as there are numerous ways to do it, but main points if you have front and rear camera are:

1. Disconnect the battery in the back. Remember to not slam the trunk shut or you will be cursing yourself on how to open it.

2. Take the A pillar trim off using one of the diys on this forum. You do this by popping out the airbag plastic piece and then unscrewing. Pull it out at the top and then upwards. Route the wiring as appropriate *under* and *to the side* of the airbag. Put the A pillar trim back, it is a pain, you need to coax it in given two hooks at the bottom.

3. Don't take the C pillar trim out, just loosen it, and fit the wiring around it. Keep it in place so you don't deal with the same refitting process as in point 2.

4. Wiring around the door goes under the rubber trim. Can be pushed in with a plastic trim removal tool.

5. Trim the wires inside the fuse box to shorter length and zip tie. Don't make it a big spaghetti in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob23 View Post
You could, but it makes for an elegant install as everything is in one spot. You need access to an accessory line as that is what tells the camera to turn on if the camera is off due to low battery.

I 3m taped mine to the bottom right of the fuse box pointing towards the door so if I ever need to access it, I just open the fuse box and its right there looking at me. Held in place and not obscuring the actual fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I used blank slot 5 for accessory power, and one of the door lock fuses (61,72,73).
Appreciate 0