BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Thanks for everyone's input!

DD-WRT, if I'm not mistaken, is third party firmware, voiding a router's warranty. However, I'll read more about it. Sounds complicated for a noobie.

I don't think any 'N' repeaters are for sale yet.

I'll probably switch to Netgear, getting the N router, and buying the N repeater when available, if I still need it. I haven't been really happy with Linksys.

Wouldn't a 'B' standard router be kind of a backwards' step? I don't think Netgear even sells 'B' standard anymore.

I've read on other forums that people have had good experiences with the PowerLine ethernet system (ethernet over a house's 120V electrical wiring). It's gotten some good professional reviews online as well. Seems kind of sketchy to me. The signal is carried to neighbor's homes too, but security is taken care of by the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
IMO, the current state of wireless networking functionality could best be described as well, rickety. I have had crap experiences with Linksys, and do not use them (had a WRT54 which did nothing but drop connections 3x/day). I have had next to no issues with Netgear, and that's all I'll use. End of plug

My advice for you would be to stick with the same brand for your entire network, as it should make config easier. Next, you'll need a couple of repeaters strategically placed throughout the house (shoot for max coverage of the house and minimal interference). Go to the vendors site and search for 'repeater'. Also Google wireless networking to find how-to's on how to set the whole thing up.

Setting it up shouldn't be hard per se, but as with most things tech, you'll want to be methodical and thorough.
Netgear isn't any better than Linksys or D-Link. All the SOHO stuff is the same crap. They use different chipsets but their firmwares are all pretty much hit or miss. I used to work a long time ago at Linksys so I know the industry pretty well. FWIW, I do not use a Linksys router so I'm not biased.

I think you would do better off with better equipment such as Buffalo, Cisco, Zyxel..

Powerline is hit or miss, depending on the house. The problem with a lot of powerline products is they don't get updated frequently nor do their firmwares. If it has a good firmware, you are golden. If the firmware is missing a feature u want, good luck.

I don't have much experience with extenders, I can give you this advice. If you buy equipment and don't know what the results might be, buy from a reputable store with a liberal return policy (i.e. you can buy and return without paying a restocking fee in a reasonable amount of time). I used to extend the wireless networks before the extenders were out with multiple WAPs (Wireless Access Points) and high gain antennas.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
When I lived with my parents, we just had a Linksys wireless router in their office (1st floor, middle of the house). My computer was in my office on the 2nd floor at the far end and I had no problems with the signal. House is just over 8k sqf.
It is an open floorplan with vaulted ceilings though, so not much to interfere with the signal.
      03-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I put a high gain antenna on the router and now the front room (about 75 feet through walls) gets me 3 bars, where before it would barely connect. I think I got the 9db for about $40.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I put a high gain antenna on the router and now the front room (about 75 feet through walls) gets me 3 bars, where before it would barely connect. I think I got the 9db for about $40.
Was it a directional antenna?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Yeah, it's got a concave surface that I pointted in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #29
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Yeah, it's got a concave surface that I pointted in that direction.
I see. I just wanted to point that out for people who might not know better. Directional antennas are great. But please be aware, they are just as described. Coverage in-between might not be that great and there might be dead zones. What works for the area on the other side is to have additional WAPs plugged into switches.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #30
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

IMO WDS w/ DDWRT FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #31
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Proxim makes some good quality stuff as well, its more for business end though. http://www.proxim.com/products/ap_700/

My recommendations would be: Assuming that your house is already pre-wired for Cat5e, pick up 2-3 access points and mount them where need be. mount them so that you have good coverage in the middle of the house or the locations where you will be the most, and then allow the signal to be weaker around the outside of the house.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #32
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
^^ Proxim is good.

SOHO (Small Office Home Office) companies such as Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. have more of a vested interest in the profit margin rather than reliability. With more enterprise/business related stuff, they are more worried about reliability than "new features." The problems I saw with Linksys when I worked there was that they constantly released new firmware or new products often without addresses issues with the current firmwares/products. I know people who still work there and can say that's still the case. I'm willing to bet it applies to Dlink, Netgear, etc. as well.

Enterprise/Business products can afford no downtime so they will be more reliable. Of course, they have a higher price but you get what you pay for.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #33
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
^^ Proxim is good.

SOHO (Small Office Home Office) companies such as Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. have more of a vested interest in the profit margin rather than reliability. With more enterprise/business related stuff, they are more worried about reliability than "new features." The problems I saw with Linksys when I worked there was that they constantly released new firmware or new products often without addresses issues with the current firmwares/products. I know people who still work there and can say that's still the case. I'm willing to bet it applies to Dlink, Netgear, etc. as well.

Enterprise/Business products can afford no downtime so they will be more reliable. Of course, they have a higher price but you get what you pay for.

Thats why you go 3rd party firmware for all routers. Dlink and netgear are unsupportive of 3rd party. Bufflo and Linksys support it. I have a linksys router that is 2 years old flashed with DD WRT running at 80mw power (stock is 26mw) and its chugging along just fine never have to reset it.

I wouldnt spend more $60-70 on wi-fi, its just not worth the investment since things change. Plus most enterprises/business do not use Wi-Fi since its not easy to secure and because of reliability issues. So most of the "enterprise routers" are nothing more than basic consumer routers with a few added features like a $20 higher gain antenna and you get charge $200 for the unit instead of $50.

Same deal over at netgear they release software without fixing issues, but the difference between netgear and others is you have to be happy with their proprietary software vs using a buffalo or linksys router which you can put your own software on which others have found a way around issues and fixed them and have unlocked the full ability of the router to do things the company wanted you to pay extra for.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #34
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You pay extra for the support for those "enterprise routers." There's much more to those routers than a higher gain antenna.

The 3rd party firmware isn't for everyone. Some people just want something that works out of the box and not want to deal with it. They may not have the time or technical know how.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #35
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
You pay extra for the support for those "enterprise routers." There's much more to those routers than a higher gain antenna.

The 3rd party firmware isn't for everyone. Some people just want something that works out of the box and not want to deal with it. They may not have the time or technical know how.
Support is a joke now days.. You are just going to end up with someone in india you cant understand telling you your product is broke and needs to be replaced...

If you really want something that works great out of the box and has the best tech support behind it get an apple airport.. When you have an issue you can go to your local store and talk to an American that speaks perfect english who will help you out or replace it on the spot. And they day apple exports its support to india is the day ill learn how to build my own laptop.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #36
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Anybody have a solution (network extenders) for a large in-home wireless network? Linksys-G extenders get crappy reviews. Wirless-N routers any better?

Moderators, plz don't move to Computing subforum; no traffic there.

Thanks!
try belkin router n1.. they are good and life time warranty. free support for life.
      03-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #37
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

granted, I can only speak to my personal experience, but Netgear has never given me issues, and it does just work out of the box. just my $0.02. It's not like I own stock in the company

Enterprise grade hardware is of course going to be 'better', but does the OP need that kind of system? I would think that for most users, the ideal system is as much 'set it and forget it' as possible.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #38
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Support is a joke now days.. You are just going to end up with someone in india you cant understand telling you your product is broke and needs to be replaced...

If you really want something that works great out of the box and has the best tech support behind it get an apple airport.. When you have an issue you can go to your local store and talk to an American that speaks perfect english who will help you out or replace it on the spot. And they day apple exports its support to india is the day ill learn how to build my own laptop.
Support isn't always in India. It is at the SOHO companies though.

I do agree with you on Apple. It's a great product actually.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #39
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #40
ITguy
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

I guess it really depends on your needs and expertise (unless you are willing to hire someone).

We just finished wiring a new house that was very large and used Cisco brand router/access points throughout. Like others said above, Linksys and other brands of that nature are great for smaller applications, but when range is really a problem, stepping up to quality hardware and using several well-placed access points makes a world of a difference.

Try looking into some of the Cisco stuff, you will not be dissapointed!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #41
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy View Post
I guess it really depends on your needs and expertise (unless you are willing to hire someone).

We just finished wiring a new house that was very large and used Cisco brand router/access points throughout. Like others said above, Linksys and other brands of that nature are great for smaller applications, but when range is really a problem, stepping up to quality hardware and using several well-placed access points makes a world of a difference.

Try looking into some of the Cisco stuff, you will not be dissapointed!
Cisco= linksys same company.....

But again I prefer using several consumer routers that are far cheaper and upgrading every few years rather than spending a hunk of cash for something that will be outdated in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #42
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Cant completely agree with this... Yes they are the same company; however the quality/RND of their products are completely different. Cisco brand prodcuts are dmore high end and require more know how than Linksys, which is primarily for home/novice user use.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #43
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Apple airport.... I love it.... works perfect... I got 2 in my house... perfect coverage and my house is pretty big...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #44
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

But again I prefer using several consumer routers that are far cheaper and upgrading every few years rather than spending a hunk of cash for something that will be outdated in a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveryday View Post
Cant completely agree with this... Yes they are the same company; however the quality/RND of their products are completely different. Cisco brand prodcuts are dmore high end and require more know how than Linksys, which is primarily for home/novice user use.
Having worked for Linksys and I still know people there, I agree with Jeveryday. Just because they are under the same company does not mean the quality/support is the same. That is not an opinion, that is fact.

Appreciate 0