BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-26-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Question Sell for GT3 or keep and supercharge?

Apologizing upfront for the terribly written and large amount of text....

Work has been in the off season since winter hit so I've been browsing and thinking about future plans for the past couple months now and I'm looking to decide on what to do either this summer or next.

No car guys at work to shoot the shit, so this is coming out of pure boredom as I can't look at autotrader anymore to keep my mind busy Mods, if this needs to be moved or delete please do so.

I've always wanted, and will no matter what one day pick up a GT3 (997, 991, etc... don't care which iteration, it's been my dream car since I could remember) I'm 34 so I feel like I've got some time to make it happen, but been getting an itch lately and it seems like it could be doable pretty soon.

Another car I've been eyeing for a while is an AMG GTR, but think the GT3 would be the better buy, financially, but also fulfillment.

I currently have my AW Fox Red Single Hump DCT 08 E92 (sitting at about 77k miles) and I have a W212 LCI e63 S (~42k miles)

I love the e92, the sound, the feel, the quality, and I guess the only thing lacking, for me at least, was the speed (at least in today's standard). I've owned the car since 2015 and told myself I'll never sell it. It's my baby.

So last year I went on the hunt for a F13/F06 M6, had a few great examples I was about to put a deposit on, but someone beat me to it. So I ended up with a highly spec'ed e63 S and got a great deal on it. My thoughts were to flip the car a year later and possible make 10k on it as that's how much under market I paid for it.

With how the market is right now. If I sell both cars, I have the ability to make up the difference. I could pick up a 991 GT3, but there isn't a lot of options in the price range I want to keep it in (at least locally) at the moment. Thing will probably pop up more come spring.

SO here are my thoughts.

1) Don't do anything and worry about the future (retirement..yada yada yada)
2) Sell the E63, super charge the M3
3) Sell everything and wait to jump on a GT3 that fits me whenever it hits the market.
4) Sell/trade the e63 for a M6 (as I don't really have any connection with the AMG even though I think it's an awesome car) And keep the M3 as an investment/collector car (if you can call it that)

I'm kinda leaning towards the supercharge option, as it would give me the speed I crave sometimes and get out of the e63. But then also it would probably be the best decision financially. I've paid off ~60% of the car in 7 months I've owned it and plan to have it fully paid off by the summer so it would leave with a decent amount of cash.

I know the Porsche market is kind of cooling off right now, so not sure if it'll plateau this year and start to rise again next year.... I guess my only concern is how much the e92 would take a hit in value going the supercharge route and probably add on another 6-10k miles on it.

Don't even know what I'm asking anymore, but what would you do? Do I see myself buying another e92 down the road if I sold my current....most likely... so would it be pretty dumb to get rid of one now just to pay more for one later, just for the opportunity to get a GT3?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I'd just supercharge the E92. You can get the E92 to drive quite similar to a GT3 with some strategic mods, and the E92 would be more comfortable and practical as well. But hey, for some ppl an M3 is just not a GT3. So if you have that itch, scratch it. Just don't sell the M3 just yet.
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      01-26-2024, 04:46 PM   #3
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

who cares about retirement - live the now, get the GT3.

what you gonna do drive GT3 when you're 60 and constantly having to see a doctor? cause you back hurts? (i mean my back kind of hurts right now at 32...)

A friend of mind recently picked up at 458 to pair with his GT4RS and i quote loosely.

"if you have the money, why not? for all i know tomorrow isn't promised"

he works his ass off like we all do to get to enjoy these things...so enjoy it! and he'll probably have that 458 for less than 6 months at most lmao.
Appreciate 3
      01-26-2024, 07:07 PM   #4
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Yah I’m at the same mindset. With how the world is going who knows if I’ll even make it to retirement age. Can’t take that shit with you.

Guess ill see what happens come spring with availability on P cars but I feel like the longer I hold onto the M3 the better it’ll be for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:14 PM   #5
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Option 3) above, but if you do go with Option 2) make sure it's a Harrop blower.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #6
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Locally everyone here is sponsored or certified I guess with AA.

Harrop would be nice but might be hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:32 PM   #7
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJiGGs View Post
Locally everyone here is sponsored or certified I guess with AA. Harrop would be nice, but might be hard to find.
Who or what is "AA"?
https://www.bpmsport.com/e9x-harrop-...arger-kit.html
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:35 PM   #8
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Active Autowerke

Think I confused Harrop with g power haha thought Harrop stoped making a kit
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:47 PM   #9
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Active Autowerke

Think I confused Harrop with g power haha thought Harrop stoped making a kit
I had no idea that Florida based Active Autowerke were big in Canada. As far as I know, the Harrop blower for the S65 is no longer in "mass" production BUT it is still available by special order through BPMSport.com (who are the U.S. Dealer) and it is still listed on Harrop's own website (https://www.harrop.com.au/tvs1740-bmw-e9x-m3). Harrop Engineering now has a U.S. Office location.
https://www.harrop-usa.com/
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50
      01-27-2024, 03:42 AM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yah I’m at the same mindset. With how the world is going who knows if I’ll even make it to retirement age. Can’t take that shit with you.

Guess ill see what happens come spring with availability on P cars but I feel like the longer I hold onto the M3 the better it’ll be for me.
if you can get into a P GT3 car for under 120K fucking do it. 997.2 personally are more attainable at this point.

for what its worth.. there is a 997.1 GT3 6SPD with 62k miles with GT3 cup parts for 125K...

so you can for sure find a 997.2 with similar miles for the same price.

you can always buy a 20k e92 m3 when ever you want at that point...
Appreciate 3
DJiGGs92.50
DrFerry6728.50
DjMarkOne105.00
      01-27-2024, 03:54 AM   #11
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP

I’d go the GT3 route. I think If you boost the e92 you’ll be chasing the GT3 itch by throwing money at it.
Appreciate 3
DJiGGs92.50
DrFerry6728.50
      01-27-2024, 07:06 AM   #12
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I understand the halo effect of the GT3, but you really need to be honest with yourself on what "speed" means to you and where you're most likely to use the vehicle. There's never enough speed and every car in this conversation is well past what can be safely enjoyed on the street if you explore those limits. If you want a 100% street car, I would take a 911 Turbo S over a GT3, that halo effect will dim if you don't track. I would consider what's important to you about the comprehensive experience of a vehicle and be honest with yourself about what your use case is for the vehicle.

Shooting for a GT3 just to own a GT3 will likely leave you feeling a little hollow. There's a lot of fulfillment found in building competency over trying to buy it. If you're into tracking, it makes sense, but only once you have to skills to make use of the GT3 best. There's the common stereotype of Miatas passing GT3s driven by owners that don't have the skills for a GT3 yet. If you're really set on owning a GT3, I would start with a lower spec 911 and book some track days with the PCA.

For example: https://www.racingjunk.com/porsche/1...&from=search#1

IMO, the only case that makes sense to supercharge the M3 is if you're interested in that build process for it's own process. The S65 is older and unique, it's better to enjoy it for what it is and at most go for a stroker build.

You can do a GT3-lite type build on the E92 like the Team Schirmer build:

Alternatively, for a more street focused build, you could remove the rear seats and do a GTS style build with KW Clubsports and reproduction aero bits. The Schirmer build is pretty intense and basically track-only for it's operation.

Last edited by Cmassey3; 01-27-2024 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 5
DJiGGs92.50
DrFerry6728.50
VR1638.00
CamasM3e933161.00
PACarGuy680.50
      01-27-2024, 08:39 AM   #13
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
I understand the halo effect of the GT3, but you really need to be honest with yourself on what "speed" means to you and where you're most likely to use the vehicle. There's never enough speed and every car in this conversation is well past what can be safely enjoyed on the street if you explore those limits. If you want a 100% street car, I would take a 911 Turbo S over a GT3, that halo effect will dim if you don't track. I would consider what's important to you about the comprehensive experience of a vehicle and be honest with yourself about what your use case is for the vehicle.

Shooting for a GT3 just to own a GT3 will likely leave you feeling a little hollow. There's a lot of fulfillment found in building competency over trying to buy it. If you're into tracking, it makes sense, but only once you have to skills to make use of the GT3 best. There's the common stereotype of Miatas passing GT3s driven by owners that don't have the skills for a GT3 yet. If you're really set on owning a GT3, I would start with a lower spec 911 and book some track days with the PCA.

For example: https://www.racingjunk.com/porsche/1...&from=search#1

IMO, the only case that makes sense to supercharge the M3 is if you're interested in that build process for it's own process. The S65 is older and unique, it's better to enjoy it for what it is and at most go for a stroker build.

You can do a GT3-lite type build on the E92 like the Team Schirmer build:

Alternatively, for a more street focused build, you could remove the rear seats and do a GTS style build with KW Clubsports and reproduction aero bits. The Schirmer build is pretty intense and basically track-only for it's operation.
GT3 ownership for many isn't about speed necessarily. It is the way it drives, looks, sounds and feels. The sounds it makes screaming to 9K, and feel of the steering, its responsiveness. It is immensely enjoyable without ever going to the track.

It similar to an E9x M3 in the sense of it has character at its core without really going fast. Then on top of that the performance envelope and "sharpness" of the car adds another layer of enjoyment. I think its a logical step up because the cars are similar in that they both have soul regardless of what you do with it.

Option 3 if you can swing it

Be aware though, the 991.1 GT3 cars are coming up on the factory 10 year warranty on the engine relating to the finger follower issue. This could drive prices down though if you want to look at alternate options to address the provlem. I am sure we'll see an aftermarket fix for it once the warranty expires on all .1 GT3's. This could work in your favor if prices dip because of this. Or a get .2 with a bigger 4.0 from the cup car, much more power (and a ton of other improvements).

We're talking about modifying a F/R 3600 lb M3 to keep up with a rear engine 3100 lb GT3 makes no sense. If you like the M3 keep it and make it yours, if not step up to a new level and you will enjoy it.

Last edited by neilum; 01-27-2024 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 4
DJiGGs92.50
zcp31294.50
DrFerry6728.50
      01-27-2024, 09:00 AM   #14
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

I’m not a track guy but more of a go drive out the city for a couple hours and just enjoy cruising around. Go to the mountains enjoy the scenery, maybe make a short film with the drone.

And for a long time Calgary didn’t have a track nearby until recently(1-2years I believe) so I’ll definitely have to check it out.

By speed I mean more of a straight/off the line. E63 is great for that but hell it’s a heavy ass car. Also the quality of the interior for the money is not there. And I know the GT3 is not a straight line car but at ~500hp and lighter than the m3 I think that will be quick enough for me.

For a long time I’ve had a 911 turbo/s in my mind but with how crazy the market has been and the amount of money some cars have made I started leaning towards the GT3 route.

Back when I started a business in university I was looking at 997 gt3 and they were going for (~70k-80k cad) which was less than a turbo at the time but today they are worth about 10-20k more (150-170k+ cad)

I know im playing a game that’s impossible to beat but i guess it helps me justify purchases sometimes haha

One thing I have to keep in mind is the 10 year engine warranty Porsche gave on the 991 GT3s is about to expire soon so I’m assuming that is gonna drive the price down. Will make it hard trying to find one with an updated engine/replacement. -EDIT (Didn’t see the post above me say this already was on the phone typing this out)

So maybe going the 911 turbo route first might be a better option and if I fall in love so be it.

Appreciate everyone’s comments.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
E92Bean87.00
      01-27-2024, 11:26 AM   #15
valve float
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: b6 a4 avant 6sp, e90 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
I had no idea that Florida based Active Autowerke were big in Canada. As far as I know, the Harrop blower for the S65 is no longer in "mass" production BUT it is still available by special order through BPMSport.com (who are the U.S. Dealer) and it is still listed on Harrop's own website (https://www.harrop.com.au/tvs1740-bmw-e9x-m3). Harrop Engineering now has a U.S. Office location.
https://www.harrop-usa.com/
but why harrop AUS has kit listed at $11K+ USD...but BPM marks it up nearly $6K ?

lol i tried to order off the AUS site but was 'redirected' to BPM for purchase...

screw that....G1 with Black Friday discount...the decision was easier than taking a dump after taco bell....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 11:36 AM   #16
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by valve float View Post
but why harrop AUS has kit listed at $11K+ USD...but BPM marks it up nearly $6K ?

lol i tried to order off the AUS site but was 'redirected' to BPM for purchase...

screw that....G1 with Black Friday discount...the decision was easier than taking a dump after taco bell....
It’s a good question for BPMSport. As dollar exchange rates fluctuate surely the advertised price should also change. Perhaps this is something to discuss with Mike at BPMSport. The Harrop is a positive displacement blower whereas the G1 is a centrifugal blower. The “Official Harrop” thread covers the differences but the main one being the Harrop produces torque lower down in the rev range. It essentially makes the S65 V8 “think” it’s an S85 V10. Your choice. Watch out for the Taco Bell slop, I hear it has longterm health effects.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 12:09 PM   #17
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
I’m not a track guy but more of a go drive out the city for a couple hours and just enjoy cruising around. Go to the mountains enjoy the scenery, maybe make a short film with the drone.

And for a long time Calgary didn’t have a track nearby until recently(1-2years I believe) so I’ll definitely have to check it out.

By speed I mean more of a straight/off the line. E63 is great for that but hell it’s a heavy ass car. Also the quality of the interior for the money is not there. And I know the GT3 is not a straight line car but at ~500hp and lighter than the m3 I think that will be quick enough for me.

For a long time I’ve had a 911 turbo/s in my mind but with how crazy the market has been and the amount of money some cars have made I started leaning towards the GT3 route.

Back when I started a business in university I was looking at 997 gt3 and they were going for (~70k-80k cad) which was less than a turbo at the time but today they are worth about 10-20k more (150-170k+ cad)

I know im playing a game that’s impossible to beat but i guess it helps me justify purchases sometimes haha

One thing I have to keep in mind is the 10 year engine warranty Porsche gave on the 991 GT3s is about to expire soon so I’m assuming that is gonna drive the price down. Will make it hard trying to find one with an updated engine/replacement. -EDIT (Didn’t see the post above me say this already was on the phone typing this out)

So maybe going the 911 turbo route first might be a better option and if I fall in love so be it.

The "Turbo models" are softer overall, and dont make great noises but they are faster. In quotes because all 911's are turbos now except for GT3, so depends on if you prefer NA or a turbo engine. Go drive em and see what you like.

Gt3's run mid to low 11's around 125+ MPH so it may be fast enough. They aren't a straight line car but they are not slow.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 12:26 PM   #18
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:

I love the 991.1 aesthetically so I look forward to prices tanking more lol. But yeah finding one with a replaced motor will take a long time, so you’d really need to be committed. I like consolidating car assets into 1, good luck with the P-car shopping!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:44 PM   #19
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

To be honest, unless you're getting a 991 Turbo, I wouldn't bother. I also considered a 911 Turbo, but the muffled engine sound from the turbo just didn't do it for me.

I dare say you'd get the same enjoyment out of a 911S more than anything. A 991 Carrera S is at a good price for that same enjoyment you're seeking from a GT3.

The 991 Carrera S is priced just under $75k at the lowest here and $105k at the highest here in SoCal. But for 20-30K more, you can get a 997 GT3. However, whether it would be better than a 991 Carrera S is subjective and up to you. I do think the 991 Carrera S would be better.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #20
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
To be honest, unless you're getting a 991 Turbo, I wouldn't bother. I also considered a 911 Turbo, but the muffled engine sound from the turbo just didn't do it for me.

I dare say you'd get the same enjoyment out of a 911S more than anything. A 991 Carrera S is at a good price for that same enjoyment you're seeking from a GT3.

The 991 Carrera S is priced just under $75k at the lowest here and $105k at the highest here in SoCal. But for 20-30K more, you can get a 997 GT3. However, whether it would be better than a 991 Carrera S is subjective and up to you. I do think the 991 Carrera S would be better.
Yah if I go turbo route it’s 991. GT3 route I’m open to 997 +
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:20 PM   #21
bgexpress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

I have a 996 turbo and e92 m3 dct, in a similar situation. 996 is fast and brutal but the sound is lacking (even with an exhaust) and it can be difficult to have fun on the street with AWD.

I think if my m3 was supercharged I’d have the speed of the turbo with none of the downsides. I have yet to drive a gt3 but I’d really like to keep the m3 in tandem with a gt3 … one for grand touring and one for track.
Appreciate 2
DJiGGs92.50
CamasM3e933161.00
      01-27-2024, 05:21 PM   #22
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’d say drive a supercharged m3 and then make a decision.

I don’t think I’ll ever sell my supercharged M.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
DJiGGs92.50