BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-18-2024, 08:49 AM   #45
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Purchased an evolve x pipe in 2022 and thought it was a fantastic piece. No smells and high quality. I since sold it and went back to catless but based on pictures in this thread it seems quality has decreased. A pic of mine below shows the cats must have been manufactured somewhere else and of higher quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-18-2024, 12:17 PM   #46
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

X-pipe designs in posts #1 and #45 are different. Cats are different, location and length of X crossover is different, pipe coupling is different, resonators (lower quality in new version?) are different, x-pipe to muffler coupling is different…tooling is fundamentally different. Suggests the x-pipe manufacturer has changed. No way you’d completely scrap your exiting tooling to accommodate new cats/resonators, pipe coupling method, X design, etc. unless you’re buying from a different manufacturer…
Appreciate 2
kolosy1486.50
Hivand_M138.00
      01-18-2024, 09:13 PM   #47
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
X-pipe designs in posts #1 and #45 are different. Cats are different, location and length of X crossover is different, pipe coupling is different, resonators (lower quality in new version?) are different, x-pipe to muffler coupling is different…tooling is fundamentally different. Suggests the x-pipe manufacturer has changed. No way you’d completely scrap your exiting tooling to accommodate new cats/resonators, pipe coupling method, X design, etc. unless you’re buying from a different manufacturer…
I appreciate I’m not the only one who can spot all of this. Meaning Evolve is simply a reseller on stuff.

It’s what I appreciate most about ACM—-they don’t sell much other than their exhaust mod under their name. They are a performance shop and stick to what they do best: great f’fing work (tuning and installation of great manufacturers stuff). IND is a great reseller too as they stay in their lane of simply reselling stuff from great manufacturers, not trying to be something their nit for purposes of appearances and sales.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 2
Hivand_M138.00
nah dude237.00
      01-18-2024, 09:24 PM   #48
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
#45 looks more in-line with supersprint's style of fittings with the bolts.

SS F1 Race exhaust has the same type of fasteners.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-18-2024, 10:17 PM   #49
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
#45 looks more in-line with supersprint's style of fittings with the bolts.

SS F1 Race exhaust has the same type of fasteners.
What’s interesting is the design pictured on Evolve’s website is a mixture of the two designs - it uses the vertical bolted attachments near the cats and resonators look like the design in #45 except for the cats which match what’s shown in post #1. So a third version of the Evolve x-pipe exists? I’ve included a link to Evolve’s x-pipe shown on their website:
https://evolveautomotive.com/product...e90-e92-e93-m3
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-18-2024, 10:27 PM   #50
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I appreciate I’m not the only one who can spot all of this. Meaning Evolve is simply a reseller on stuff.

It’s what I appreciate most about ACM—-they don’t sell much other than their exhaust mod under their name. They are a performance shop and stick to what they do best: great f’fing work (tuning and installation of great manufacturers stuff. IND is a great reseller too as they stay in their lane of simply reselling stuff from great manufacturers, not trying to be something their bit for purposes of appearances and sales.

Cheers,
e46e92
I’d love to hear what Evolve has to say about their release of a fundamentally different x-pipe design a decade after new car production ceased. Exhaust tooling is pretty stout but even if it was worn out, you wouldn’t make fundamental changes to certain aspects of the design. I can’t say with certainty but the pipe diameter in post #1 looks smaller than in post #45?
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-18-2024, 10:58 PM   #51
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
What’s interesting is the design pictured on Evolve’s website is a mixture of the two designs - it uses the vertical bolted attachments near the cats and resonators look like the design in #45 except for the cats which match what’s shown in post #1. So a third version of the Evolve x-pipe exists? I’ve included a link to Evolve’s x-pipe shown on their website:
https://evolveautomotive.com/product...e90-e92-e93-m3
I think the picture on the website is the original one. There seems to be 2 version of the current model with slip-fits with different cats. Post #1 and #15.

here is clearly picture of the older one, most likely the supersprint model. I'm not certain what the other ones are but they don't seem like supersprint fasteners to me. #45 looks like a Supersprint type of fastener. I remmeber supersprint don't throw away their exhaust jigs so I am curious.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...41&postcount=1
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-19-2024, 12:07 AM   #52
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think the picture on the website is the original one. There seems to be 2 version of the current model with slip-fits with different cats. Post #1 and #15.

here is clearly picture of the older one, most likely the supersprint model. I'm not certain what the other ones are but they don't seem like supersprint fasteners to me. #45 looks like a Supersprint type of fastener. I remmeber supersprint don't throw away their exhaust jigs so I am curious.

Website picture has the cats that match design in post #1 AND the cats from post #s 15 and 45 AND the dual fasteners per pipe aft of the cats where the slip joint is located. So you’re saying the design in post #45 is Supersprint’s design? Regardless, designs in post #s 1, 15 and 45 are different from what Evolve shows on their website.
Appreciate 2
derbo3610.00
Hivand_M138.00
      01-19-2024, 08:19 AM   #53
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Website picture has the cats that match design in post #1 AND the cats from post #s 15 and 45 AND the dual fasteners per pipe aft of the cats where the slip joint is located. So you’re saying the design in post #45 is Supersprint’s design? Regardless, designs in post #s 1, 15 and 45 are different from what Evolve shows on their website.
My fault, I saw the cat differences but was focused on the fasteners the most.

This 2018 post I posted in my last post looks the closest to the thumbnail on their website.

I'm curious on the iteration changes. I get changing cats, but I wonder the reasoning for the fastener change.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-19-2024, 08:41 AM   #54
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My fault, I saw the cat differences but was focused on the fasteners the most.

This 2018 post I posted in my last post looks the closest to the thumbnail on their website.

I'm curious on the iteration changes. I get changing cats, but I wonder the reasoning for the fastener change.
I doubt the resonator they originally used is NLA so if you consider all of the changes together it suggests one thing - a new manufacturer with a different set of tooling. There are certain aspects of an x-pipe design that you would not alter, especially if based on development testing, because they directly affect sound and performance. Only other possibility if it’s the same manufacturer is they’ve simplified the design to reduce manufacturing costs/time and incorporated cheaper cats and resonators to reduce overall costs yet charge the same price to maximize profit.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #55
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
I doubt the resonator they originally used is NLA so if you consider all of the changes together it suggests one thing - a new manufacturer with a different set of tooling. There are certain aspects of an x-pipe design that you would not alter, especially if based on development testing, because they directly affect sound and performance. Only other possibility if it’s the same manufacturer is they’ve simplified the design to reduce manufacturing costs/time and incorporated cheaper cats and resonators to reduce overall costs yet charge the same price to maximize profit.
I discussed this with Derbo last night, and yeah, it seems to no longer be manufactured by Supersprint, in my opinion, based on the evidence provided. Unless told otherwise, or if Supersprint made some changes to theirs and passed it onto the Evolve x-pipe as a byproduct.

Hopefully, not the latter, as I do hold Supersprint to a high standard of quality, as I love their products.

I don't know who came up with the schematics for the Evolve x-pipe; maybe Imran did. But it could be where Evolve just gave them a technical sheet for what they wanted and what type of cats to use, and SS went out and sourced the cats themselves. I don't think Evolve is buying hundreds of high-flow cats and sending them to SS to weld onto the x-pipes.

When I worked in wheel manufacturing and someone wanted to private label with me, we gave them the freedom to use any of our designs and run them at their desired specs, or they could give us an idea, and we would model it and present it. Most of the time, these guys would pick stuff we already had and request specific sizing and offsets + colors + slight changes to the wheel design.

I think this is the case for the Evolve/Supersprint collaboration.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00
      01-19-2024, 11:48 AM   #56
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
I discussed this with Derbo last night, and yeah, it seems to no longer be manufactured by Supersprint, in my opinion, based on the evidence provided. Unless told otherwise, or if Supersprint made some changes to theirs and passed it onto the Evolve x-pipe as a byproduct.

Hopefully, not the latter, as I do hold Supersprint to a high standard of quality, as I love their products.

I don't know who came up with the schematics for the Evolve x-pipe; maybe Imran did. But it could be where Evolve just gave them a technical sheet for what they wanted and what type of cats to use, and SS went out and sourced the cats themselves. I don't think Evolve is buying hundreds of high-flow cats and sending them to SS to weld onto the x-pipes.

When I worked in wheel manufacturing and someone wanted to private label with me, we gave them the freedom to use any of our designs and run them at their desired specs, or they could give us an idea, and we would model it and present it. Most of the time, these guys would pick stuff we already had and request specific sizing and offsets + colors + slight changes to the wheel design.

I think this is the case for the Evolve/Supersprint collaboration.
I agree except for the changes in the crossover design and location, and change in specific design styles and features. X placement and cross area connection are known to directly affect sound and whp/torque. I don’t see this changing if it’s still being manufactured by SS. Absolutely, Evolve is not directly purchasing cats and resonators. That’s all on the manufacturer. However, what brand cats and resonators are selected/approved is all on Evolve. Perhaps a change in cats were due to supply and/or vendor issues. I don’t see that happening with resonators. I also don’t see why SS would change specific design features because that’s part of their standard manufacturing processes. Steel tubing in the latest design has a different look from what SS used (i.e., a different tube manufacturer and/or grade of stainless steel). Based on all of this, I believe Evolve has switched manufacturers to reduce total production cost to maximize profit on an aging platform.
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2024, 01:29 PM   #57
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
I agree except for the changes in the crossover design and location, and change in specific design styles and features. X placement and cross area connection are known to directly affect sound and whp/torque. I don’t see this changing if it’s still being manufactured by SS. Absolutely, Evolve is not directly purchasing cats and resonators. That’s all on the manufacturer. However, what brand cats and resonators are selected/approved is all on Evolve. Perhaps a change in cats were due to supply and/or vendor issues. I don’t see that happening with resonators. I also don’t see why SS would change specific design features because that’s part of their standard manufacturing processes. Steel tubing in the latest design has a different look from what SS used (i.e., a different tube manufacturer and/or grade of stainless steel). Based on all of this, I believe Evolve has switched manufacturers to reduce total production cost to maximize profit on an aging platform.
I absolutely agree with you, the only hint, I think we have that it might no longer be supersprint is this video. in which they mention supply issues.

and we know based on this video they did use supersprint for their exhaust work.

but yeah i think they did change manufactures as well, but haven't publicly stated anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:33 PM   #58
Hivand_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

https://youtu.be/mJfOP-pZANU?si=ps1IEO-bCimBuxtP
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      01-19-2024, 01:45 PM   #59
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
I absolutely agree with you, the only hint, I think we have that it might no longer be supersprint is this video. in which they mention supply issues.

and we know based on this video they did use supersprint for their exhaust work.

but yeah i think they did change manufactures as well, but haven't publicly stated anything.
Agreed

I doubt they’ll ever admit to the change because their original pricing reflected the pricing for a high-end, top-quality SS manufactured piece of art - beautiful welds, beautiful details, higher quality tubing, etc. which helps to justify the high cost.

Thanks for the videos. I liked it better when items/releases were in print media with pictures instead of videos. I dislike watching videos because, without pausing and zooming in, you miss most details and can’t skim thru it. YouTube wasn’t a step in a better direction and this isn’t limited to car mods
Appreciate 3
derbo3610.00
DjMarkOne105.00
      01-20-2024, 07:51 PM   #60
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Man I want this version lol
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:14 AM   #61
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Why not get the SS version from them

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/su...mw-e92-m3.aspx
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:27 AM   #62
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Why not get the SS version from them

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/su...mw-e92-m3.aspx
Have you summed up the cost of each individual component? It’s quite expensive for just a SS x-pipe!
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 05:19 PM   #63
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just for reference, my Evolve X-pipe (in post #15) was purchased 9-20-2022.
2008 328i e93- 3SIM, StageFP tune, magna flow #12148 muffler + vibrant resonator, BMS filters, Bilstein B8s, H&R sport springs, ECS sway bars, whiteline rear subframe bushings, rouge engineering trans mounts, custco front strut bar, M3 front lower control arms. Cosmis R1 18x8.5 245/40 front 18x9.5 255/35 rear.
Appreciate 2
derbo3610.00
Hivand_M138.00
      01-23-2024, 11:31 PM   #64
Hivand_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Just for reference, my Evolve X-pipe (in post #15) was purchased 9-20-2022.
You had mentioned the previous owner of your car had purchased the x pipe. Is that when they bought it?
Appreciate 1
S65Hunter1186.00
      01-23-2024, 11:32 PM   #65
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Have you summed up the cost of each individual component? It’s quite expensive for just a SS x-pipe!
Yup that goes without saying LOL
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 04:07 AM   #66
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivand_M View Post
You had mentioned the previous owner of your car had purchased the x pipe. Is that when they bought it?
Correct, I have the invoice and that was the date on it.
2008 328i e93- 3SIM, StageFP tune, magna flow #12148 muffler + vibrant resonator, BMS filters, Bilstein B8s, H&R sport springs, ECS sway bars, whiteline rear subframe bushings, rouge engineering trans mounts, custco front strut bar, M3 front lower control arms. Cosmis R1 18x8.5 245/40 front 18x9.5 255/35 rear.
Appreciate 1
Hivand_M138.00