BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Engine | Drivetrain | Exhaust

EXXEL Distributions

08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
▀▄ eas | S65 Rod Bearing Replacement Inspection/Services

Rod bearing inspections have been the subject of concern lately, we would like to announce that are now offering Rod Bearing inspection services for your M3.

This is a serious concern for M3 owners, especially those that have higher mileage or are supercharged/tracked often. For those looking to keep their vehicles for extended use, inspection is a must.

Complete inspection/service is $2395, which includes the following:

Services Performed
- Inspect/Replace Rod Bearings
- Install Upgraded Connecting Rod Bolts
- Inspect Rod Journals
- Inspect Oil Pump nuts
- Inspect Clean/Flush Oil Pan for debris
- Collect Oil Sample for Analysis
- Autologic QuickReport (determines required updates & scheduled maintenance)
- One-on-One inspection report

Items included
- WPC Treated Rod Bearings or BE Bearings
- ARP Connecting Rod Bolts
- OEM BMW Oil Pan Gasket
- Oil Change & Filter Change
- Blackstone Oil Report

Optional Services
- Replace Spark Plugs
- 240E Software Update

WPC Treated Connecting Rod Bearings
WPC is a proven process that has been utilized for many years in the racing and automotive industry. WPC is not a coating, it is a treatment that enhances the surface to reduce friction and strengthen engine parts. WPC achieves this process by firing ultra fine particles towards the surface of a product at very high speeds. The resulting thermal discharge permanently changes the surface, strengthening structure and creating a harder more durable final product.

The WPC process is unrivalled in treating engine parts and other surfaces that have contact points of friction. WPC is superior because it is not a coating; it is a permanent surface treatment that reduces friction while strengthening the part. It's unique micro-dimple formation pattern greatly reduces friction and is unmatched by conventional methods of surface treatment.

The fine grooves, that are intrinsically engraved into the product surface at the time of machining, are transformed into micro-dimple indentations by the impact of the ultra-fine media during WPC treatment. These dimples then act as oil reservoirs. Thus, oil that would normally drain away, through the grooves in an untreated product, when pressure is applied, is instead retained in the dimples of a WPC treated product. This helps to keep the surface lubricated.

Features
- OEM BMW Rod Bearings with WPC Surface Treatment
- Lower Friction
- Harder and More Durable
- Superior Oil Lubrication

BE Bearings

Designed and manufactured by Clevite to BE Bearing specifications.

These bearings replace the factory BMW rod bearings. The original BMW bearings have too little clearance, which leads to premature bearing wear and can cause early engine failure. Furthermore, the factory BMW bearings are made from tin-aluminum which are 5-times harder than a softer lead-copper bearing design. A softer bearing is better for your engine and more tolerant of foreign particles suspended in your oil.

These BE Bearings feature a state-of-the-art Clevite Tri-Metal design with the Clevite Tri-Armor(tm) coating.

Lead-copper design for greater durability and easy tracking with oil analysis like Blackstone (recommended).
- Designed with extra clearance to "fix" the BMW rod bearing design flaw.
- Designed for use with factory 10W60 weight oils.
- Tri-Armor coated for low conditions during cold start
- Ideal for start-stop vehicles
- Standard Size

ARP Connecting Rod Bolts
ARP is the world leader in fastener technology. As builders of the finest fasteners in the market ARP is the choice when you want the highest reliability possible. Our ARP Con Rod Bolt Sets give you a clear advantage over the OEM Con Rod Bolts: unbeatable strength! Even cosmetically, the difference in construction and quality is apparent. If you look at many of the OEM bolts, you will see a taper on the threads which actually takes away bolt grip. ARP Pro Series connecting rod bolts are precision CNC-machined to exacting specifications and designed for optimum reliability. They are designed for full engagement and heat-treated with threads which are rolled to provide up to ten times more fatigue strength than standard OEM BMW fasteners.

For those not local to our facility in Anaheim, CA., transport services are available.

Ordering Details

Phone:
You can reach us directly by calling 866.669.0705 to schedule your service over the phone.

Payment:
Credit/Debit Cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, PayPal, Google Checkout (available online & over phone)

Other Payments:
Money Order/Cashier’s Check & Bank Wire Transfer are also available. Please contact us to pay with either of these methods.

Tax:
All CA customers will be charged 7.75% CA Sales tax.

Shipping:

All orders will be shipping via UPS. If you are interested in shipping to Hawaii, Alaska, or internationally, please contact us directly, as you will be charged additional shipping fees.

Hours of Operations:

Monday - Friday from 9AM to 5PM PST
Saturday/Sunday - Closed

Retail Location/ Installation Center:
Come check out our 8000 square foot facility in Anaheim, CA. We install everything we sell.

Contact Info:
Phone: 866.669.0705
Email: tom@europeanautosource.com

Feel free to contact myself or any of our sales staff via email or phone if you have any questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 06-04-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Vehicle: 2008 BMW M3, 6MT
Production Date: 06/08
Oil Used: TWS Motorsport 10W-60, 7500mi intervals
Mileage: 106,XXX mi
Fuel: 93 Oct
Driving Habits: Mostly highway driving, no track use
Oil Analysis: None provided

Notes:
This particular M3 was fully serviced under scheduled maintenance and meticulously followed thereafter with oil changes every 7500mi.

The VF540 Supercharger was installed at 92K. Now at 106K, a VF620 Supercharger upgrade was scheduled. After some discussion, it was agreed that an inspection of the rod bearings was in order during service.

Connecting Rod Bearings, showing excessive wear on #4 & #8

Closeup, Rod Bearing #8

New vs Old Rod Bearing - Comparison

As seen, Connecting Rod bearing #8 suffered the most damage, with all remaining bearings showing considerable wear. Needless to say, prolonging this would have likely resulted in engine failure if not handled sooner.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
Is your shop able to complete this job in one day?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Excellent price, EAS is a company I would trust if I ever needed this done. Good stuff guys.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Would it be cheaper to do without the VAC bearings?
Great service guys.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking EAS did a excellent job on my 2008 100K + mile E92 M3

I am glad I had EAS do my rod bearings, I drove from Central Texas to SoCal to have my rod bearings changed by EAS. The pics you all are looking at are from my E92 M3 as you can see I was riding on borrowed time. I highly recommend EAS if you need your rod bearings replace. I am back home in Texas I drove 1500+ miles back home after my rod bearing replacement

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I want to see every single one you take apart to see the good and bad. Not just the bad. Then maybe I'll consider it. Do it right with analysis.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
I am glad I had EAS do my rod bearings, I drove from Central Texas to SoCal to have my rod bearings changed by EAS. The pics you all are looking at are from my E92 M3 as you can see I was riding on borrowed time. I highly recommend EAS if you need your rod bearings replace. I am back home in Texas I drove 1500+ miles back home after my rod bearing replacement
Very glad you dodged this bullet. Props to EAS for offering this service.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Is your shop able to complete this job in one day?
This is a job that cannot be rushed. With the amount of items being covered, 2-3 days is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Would it be cheaper to do without the VAC bearings?
Great service guys.

Difference is only $95 between the OEM and VAC bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
I want to see every single one you take apart to see the good and bad. Not just the bad. Then maybe I'll consider it. Do it right with analysis.
There are plenty of examples to reference with a quick forum search, we'll do our best to provide samples of our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Excellent price, EAS is a company I would trust if I ever needed this done. Good stuff guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
Very glad you dodged this bullet. Props to EAS for offering this service.
Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
There are plenty of examples to reference with a quick forum search, we'll do our best to provide samples of our own.

Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks!
Examples of failures are well documented. Agreed. As you proceed, if an engine is dismantled and the bearings are ok, I want to see that too. Along with the build date of the car, the part numbers used, mileage, and other notable factors. Then we can all make informed choices instead of knee jerk decisions based on ticking time bomb rhetoric. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Also interested in seeing other bearing samples. It would be very helpful in making a decision to replace.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
Also interested in seeing other bearing samples. It would be very helpful in making a decision to replace.
I am worried about this problem as well but before I spend the 2+ I would first like to see at least one car whose rod bearings were pulled, inspected, photographed, and determined that they did NOT need to be replaced.

Other than when they are brand spanking new, we just don't know what these bearings should look like as you accumulate the miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Good work Tom. Just curious if you pull the engine for this and also whether this requires vanos to be dismantled and re-assembled? Does the bearing replacement fix the problem, or is it still an ongoing concern that needs to be addressed every X miles?

Is it only a large concern for 2007/2008 models and why are BMW NA ignoring what is essentially an engine defect?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
I'd like to see more examples. Surely you've performed this service more than just this once Tom?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Quote:
This. I mentioned this in the Official S65 Bearing Specification/Clearance Wiki thread, but right now IMHO it's unclear whether this is a widespread problem or a bunch of FUD, and I think that's mostly because, like many other issues we discuss on these boards, information is heavily negatively biased, which isn't conducive to making informed decisions. It would be immensely helpful if vendors like Tom@EAS and others who perform several bearing inspections on our cars would comment on what percentage of cars have bearings that look just fine, along with other information like model year, mileage, operating climate, driver habits, modification status, and oil change intervals to help identify trends where problems are occurring. I understand that if the answer is that a fair number of cars have bearings that look fine, that would be bad for business, but it would sure go a long way toward either reducing the FUD or supporting the argument that owners intending to keep their cars long-term should consider this.

And with respect to this bearing issue specifically, I have yet to see photographic proof that any of the proposed solutions (thinner oil, WPC-treated bearings, or the VAC coated bearings suggested here) actually result in reduced or eliminated bearing wear. Has anybody who had bearing problems, especially after relatively low mileage, and implemented one of these solutions gone back and rechecked them after the same number of miles to determine whether their solutions are actually providing any benefit?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 10-21-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
And with respect to this bearing issue specifically, I have yet to see photographic proof that any of the proposed solutions (thinner oil, WPC-treated bearings, or the VAC coated bearings suggested here) actually result in reduced or eliminated bearing wear. Has anybody who had bearing problems, especially after relatively low mileage, and implemented one of these solutions gone back and rechecked them after the same number of miles to determine whether their solutions are actually providing any benefit?
You probably wont, for some time at least. Not many people will be tearing engines apart a second time to inspect as the miles simply have been racked up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Good work Tom. Just curious if you pull the engine for this and also whether this requires vanos to be dismantled and re-assembled? Does the bearing replacement fix the problem, or is it still an ongoing concern that needs to be addressed every X miles?

Is it only a large concern for 2007/2008 models and why are BMW NA ignoring what is essentially an engine defect?
Engine remains in the vehicle, the subframe is lowered in order to allow the oil pan to be removed and access the rods. There isn't a specific mileage that can be given, but getting regular oil analysis reports would be a good start in creating a paper trail - while not breaking the bank in the process.

Quote:
I'd like to see more examples. Surely you've performed this service more than just this once Tom?
Absolutely. Here's a photo and oil analysis Bearings from a low mileage 2011 M3, at 18,xxx mi. Here's a copy of the last Blackstone report:

reference:

Bearings were replaced with VAC coated rod bearings/APR bolts and oil switched to Torco 10W40 SR-1R Synthetic Racing Oil, as this M3 will see regular track use with the supercharger.

After some miles, we'll have oil changed and analysis performed on next oil change.

Any questions, please feel free to call, PM or email me directly.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Feel free to contact us if you should have any questions on service.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

what other parts or items do you usually find needing replacing during this inspection? other than the bearing and rod bolts themselves...

also i'm curious, do you offer any sort of warrant with the service, parts, usage etc etc?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post
what other parts or items do you usually find needing replacing during this inspection? other than the bearing and rod bolts themselves...

also i'm curious, do you offer any sort of warrant with the service, parts, usage etc etc?

thanks
Luckily, nothing yet, we've done a few of these and are about to attack the track car next week to prepare for 2014 race season. All work is warrantied, parts carry their own manufacturer's warranties.

It's essential the other areas are inspected. Even if it sounds a bit overzealous - just to make sure there are no other issues that could arise later, which could have been prevented.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
WPC Red/Blue treated bearings, all ready for the race build:

Race build in current (stripped) form:

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
2008 BMW M3: 53,XXX mi

Info
Vehicle: 2008 BMW M3, 6MT
Production Date: 05/08
Oil Used: TWS Motorsport 10W-60, 7500mi intervals
Mileage: 53,XXX mi
Fuel: 91 Oct
Driving Habits: Mostly highway/street driving, no track use
Oil Analysis: None provided

Notes:
This particular M3 was fully serviced under scheduled maintenance and meticulously followed thereafter with oil changes every 7500mi.

Here's a recent inspection on a 2008 M3 with ~53K that came in. When engine was warm, a "knock" was heard at 3500+ RPM. Upon inspection of #5 journal, the bearings were discovered to be in terrible condition:

Crank also shows severe damage, engine will need to be pulled and crank/bearings replaced. With this much damage on the journal, there's really no need to inspect the others. Higher resolution photos can be found here on our Flickr page.

Engine is relatively stock other than aftermarket exhaust, vehicle has never been tracked. An oil sample has been sent simply to see what numbers are present in this type of situation.

Engine approved for replacement under goodwill from BMW: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15421814

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Thanks for the inquiries - all PMs replied.

Appreciate 0