BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Burger Motorsport DCT pan

Anybody running one? Opinions? Looks like good quality-
https://burgertuning.com/products/bi...on-pan-for-bmw
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I have not seen any reviews but one thing I see is the lack of an extension to the oil pick-up. That seems like a big omission. Deep pan with the pickup in original location could result in oil starvation
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      02-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep

Thanks I was thinking about that too. I know the Slon pan has it, but that whole 'send money then wait and see' is a bit flaky. I'd rather buy USA. I don't think the Gintani one includes an extension ether.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Sits too low, gets smacked easily.
      02-19-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Just ordered a BMS pan this weekend. I was torn between the Slon, SSP and BMS pan. The Slon pan is obviously a nice piece of kit with the extended pickup, but I wasn’t comfortable with the possibility of experiencing shipping delays. BTW, The Slon pan and side cover are now listed on eBay. The BMS pan adds ~1 liter of additional capacity similar to the Slon pan, but doesn’t include the pickup extension. The SSP adds ~2 liters of additional capacity and no pickup extension. I couldn’t find actual measurements on how deep the BMS and SSP pans are online. I settled on the BMS since I was a bit concerned that the SSP pan may sit too low. I’ll post measurements of the BMS and OE pans after the install. I’m not overly concerned with not having the pickup extension. I plan on performing the +1 liter overfill procedure similar to what is done on the GTS. With the extra capacity of the pan, this should result in 2 additional liters of fluid and raise the level of fluid well above the pickup.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If I get another pan for another car for sure it'll be the Slon pan. It's the only one with a good chance at actually solving anything.

If you don't drop the pickup point, having more fluid in there just makes the pan easier to hit.
Appreciate 2
BayE301341.00
M43S7RO501.00
      02-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Just ordered a BMS pan this weekend. I was torn between the Slon, SSP and BMS pan. The Slon pan is obviously a nice piece of kit with the extended pickup, but I wasn't comfortable with the possibility of experiencing shipping delays. BTW, The Slon pan and side cover are now listed on eBay. The BMS pan adds ~1 liter of additional capacity similar to the Slon pan, but doesn't include the pickup extension. The SSP adds ~2 liters of additional capacity and no pickup extension. I couldn't find actual measurements on how deep the BMS and SSP pans are online. I settled on the BMS since I was a bit concerned that the SSP pan may sit too low. I'll post measurements of the BMS and OE pans after the install. I'm not overly concerned with not having the pickup extension. I plan on performing the +1 liter overfill procedure similar to what is done on the GTS. With the extra capacity of the pan, this should result in 2 additional liters of fluid and raise the level of fluid well above the pickup.
FWIW - I lost a motor on my 996 due to oil starvation on my first ever track day. Trust me I wasn't hitting major G's that day. It had a deep sump oil pan installed by PÓ. When disassembled it was discovered that there was no pickup extension to go along with deep pan. I wouldn't consider installing a larger pan (oil, transmission, etc) without an extension to the pickup.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
BayE301341.00
kyippee1072.00
      02-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep

I guess I'm looking for quality fitment at a price point I can live with. I don't track this car so oil starvation seems unlikely for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
I guess I'm looking for quality fitment at a price point I can live with. I don't track this car so oil starvation seems unlikely for me.
Why the heck are you changing the pan if you don't track the car?
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      02-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Why the heck are you changing the pan if you don't track the car?
Haha I overbuild everything. I've modded the car to the way I feel it should have come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

It seems like you're modding cause you can, which I'm all about. But seeing as time isn't really a factor (don't need to meet a time crunch to sort something out before heavy use in the near future) I don't see why Slon isn't the choice. The fitment was spot on and functionality is second to none.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      02-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

I think the dodson pan is interesting in that it uses a different filter which may sit lower in the pan thereby achieving the same goal as the slon pick up extender possibly... I dont know what the suction filter feeds vs what the suction tube feeds; and why is one filtered and the other not??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Just wanted give my feedback after installing the BMS DCT pan. First, it holds an additional 1.1 liters of fluid compared to the stock pan. After following the fill procedure on flat ground, I let the transmission cool and raise the passenger side of the car repreformed the process and was able to add another liter. So in total, I removed 6 liters and was able to refill with 8 liters. After refilling, I ran the clutch adaptation software. The transmission is silky smooth and shifts are crisp as hell. Now for the downside... the pan definitely sits lower than the stock pan. You have to cut a hole in the undertray or run without it. My car is on Swift Spec-R springs and I run 275/35/18s all around so my car naturally sits lower than stock. With this setup, I have a little under 3” of clearance from the lowest part of the pan to the floor. It is a bit concerning. So much so that I made a little jig to set over speed bumps to make sure I can pass. Surprisingly I haven’t come across one that I can’t clear, but you definately need to be cognizant of speed bumps. I should point out that the leading edge of the pan is higher than the rear, so you may just slide over, but I’m not ready to try. Well there you go, hope this information is useful.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #14
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Just wanted give my feedback after installing the BMS DCT pan. First, it holds an additional 1.1 liters of fluid compared to the stock pan. After following the fill procedure on flat ground, I let the transmission cool and raise the passenger side of the car repreformed the process and was able to add another liter. So in total, I removed 6 liters and was able to refill with 8 liters. After refilling, I ran the clutch adaptation software. The transmission is silky smooth and shifts are crisp as hell. Now for the downside... the pan definitely sits lower than the stock pan. You have to cut a hole in the undertray or run without it. My car is on Swift Spec-R springs and I run 275/35/18s all around so my car naturally sits lower than stock. With this setup, I have a little under 3” of clearance from the lowest part of the pan to the floor. It is a bit concerning. So much so that I made a little jig to set over speed bumps to make sure I can pass. Surprisingly I haven’t come across one that I can’t clear, but you definately need to be cognizant of speed bumps. I should point out that the leading edge of the pan is higher than the rear, so you may just slide over, but I’m not ready to try. Well there you go, hope this information is useful.
If you bottom out the car you will destroy that pan just be cautious. If you arent tracking you car you shouldve went with an oem replacement and just did the GTS overfill with the adapter.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0