BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

01-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #661
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Being fairly new to BMW would someone care to explain to me the big deal about watches and the BMW/watch connection? I see more threads on watches than anything else.
Most BMW owners are superficial, materialistic douches....that's the stereotype anyway.
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      01-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #662
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Most men into cars are also into watches, guns, gear and so on.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #663
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
True. Minus the guns part. Heck, I'm a native Texan! I own a pair of pistols for family protection. I don't get into regular trips to the firing range. The last few times I did, I feel very competent I can hit whatever I'm trying to.

Now... Clothes, Shoes, Furniture, Food and Drinks... That's my shit!!!

*edit. Although I appreciate nice, expensive watches, they are simply not my thing. The most expensive one I own is a Rado full tungsten @ $3k I bought nearly 20years ago. I love chunky watches since I have big wrists. I own 4 Nixon 51-30. I have a nice Seiko and a couple Invicta. They work and satisfy my watch needs.
But believe me when I say, that I have other vices that I spend my cash on. Home Theater being a huge one! And clothes!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 01-08-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #664
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
True. Minus the guns part. Heck, I'm a native Texan! I own a pair of pistols for family protection. I don't get into regular trips to the firing range. The last few times I did, I feel very competent I can hit whatever I'm trying to.

*edit. Although I appreciate nice, expensive watches, they are simply not my thing. The most expensive one I own is a Rado full tungsten @ $3k I bought nearly 20years ago. I love chunky watches since I have big wrists. I own 4 Nixon 51-30. I have a nice Seiko and a couple Invicta. They work and satisfy my watch needs.
But believe me when I say, that I have other vices that I spend my cash on. Home Theater being a huge one! And clothes!
Same. I have one nice watch. Very little desire to buy a second one.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13610.00
      01-08-2019, 10:56 PM   #665
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Okay they tend to go together but each has his own preferred pile of man stuff they like. Juat dont collect skinny jeans or man bun rubber bands or whatever they use.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13610.00
      01-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #666
F30dud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 340 msport

My wife brought me a Rolex from NY, fake. I have never wore it, because i have a Rolex 1623 datejust gold 18k 2 tone. Its so nice and shinny i never wanna wear anything else.

Other than that i wear a Casio old school, and i have a couple Bulovas.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:37 AM   #667
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:

Same here, whats the real purpose for very expensive watches aside from show off or personal climaxes? They show the time...thats it. No more.
I own an expensive watch since military times and few other very cheap ones with dual timezones for traveling. If one of them get lost, bummer, but fate.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13610.00
      01-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #668
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Quote:

Same here, whats the real purpose for very expensive watches aside from show off or personal climaxes? They show the time...thats it. No more.
I own an expensive watch since military times and few other very cheap ones with dual timezones for traveling. If one of them get lost, bummer, but fate.
It's just about the only piece of jewelry a man can wear... one could argue an Iphone 6s works as well as a Xs but... or a Hinda Civic works as well as a BMW
      01-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #669
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

some are frighteningly good

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #670
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Can you still get a fake rolex on Canal St. in NYC?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #671
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It's just about the only piece of jewelry a man can wear...
I was actually about to respond that, in affect, watches are Jewelry. And obviously some jewelry is more expensive than others as we all know.

I disagree that a watch is the "only jewelry a man can wear" comment.

Couple of examples:

I have a very unique 14k two-tone gold necklace I purchased about 20yrs ago (can't recall the link style but I have never seen anyone with it or in any fine jewelry store or online). I don't wear it everyday. But when I do, I get compliments. It isn't gaudy and ridiculous but it's not dainty either. Many times my wife and I are about to leave the house, and she will ask me to wear it. Because all these years later, she still likes it. And I like that she likes it.

I also have a couple of bracelets: gold, silver, leather, tungsten carbide. I occasionally wear. Which she also likes.
And then I have my personal favorite jewelry to wear. Which isn't expensive at all but gets the most compliments from complete strangers: A matching Tigers Eye necklace and bracelet.

Now I don't wear things "for compliments". I buy/wear them because I like it! Compliments are a nice bonus.

In my experience, having friends and family who do own expensive Breitling, Rolex, Tag, etc. They generally don't wear any other jewelry. Coincidence? Maybe.

So the most appealing expensive watch to me forever, has been the Breitling Navitimer 01 46 AB012721/C889-453A

I've eyeballed this watch for years. And could've bought it at any time. But I just can't/won't fork over $7k for it. Why? It's a watch! LOL! Sure, it's a very pretty watch to me. But I have very pretty watches that I really enjoy that cost a fraction of that and serve the same purpose. And please don't try to make the "BMW vs Chevy/Honda are just cars too". Whole different scenario there.
But I will and have spent over $7k on furniture. And would do so again in the future if my wife and I move or want a change of home decor. And that doesn't include my Home Theater setup which was considerably higher. Some folks would never consider spending what I have on such items. Just like I wouldn't consider spending on a watch.
It all comes down to two words "personal preference". And at the end of the day, it's what makes us all unique.

Again, it's YOUR hard earned ca$h! Spend it how you see fit and enjoy your investment.

I like how for the most part, this thread has not been a 'pissing contest or flame fest'. Just us grown men, discussing our opinions and fondness for certain things.
      01-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #672
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And twins!
Appreciate 2
xQx902.50
      01-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #673
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It's just about the only piece of jewelry a man can wear...
I was actually about to respond that, in affect, watches are Jewelry. And obviously some jewelry is more expensive than others as we all know.

I disagree that a watch is the "only jewelry a man can wear" comment.

Couple of examples:

I have a very unique 14k two-tone gold necklace I purchased about 20yrs ago (can't recall the link style but I have never seen anyone with it or in any fine jewelry store or online). I don't wear it everyday. But when I do, I get compliments. It isn't gaudy and ridiculous but it's not dainty either. Many times my wife and I are about to leave the house, and she will ask me to wear it. Because all these years later, she still likes it. And I like that she likes it.

I also have a couple of bracelets: gold, silver, leather, tungsten carbide. I occasionally wear. Which she also likes.
And then I have my personal favorite jewelry to wear. Which isn't expensive at all but gets the most compliments from complete strangers: A matching Tigers Eye necklace and bracelet.

Now I don't wear things "for compliments". I buy/wear them because I like it! Compliments are a nice bonus.

In my experience, having friends and family who do own expensive Breitling, Rolex, Tag, etc. They generally don't wear any other jewelry. Coincidence? Maybe.

So the most appealing expensive watch to me forever, has been the Breitling Navitimer 01 46 AB012721/C889-453A

I've eyeballed this watch for years. And could've bought it at any time. But I just can't/won't fork over $7k for it. Why? It's a watch! LOL! Sure, it's a very pretty watch to me. But I have very pretty watches that I really enjoy that cost a fraction of that and serve the same purpose. And please don't try to make the "BMW vs Chevy/Honda are just cars too". Whole different scenario there.
But I will and have spent over $7k on furniture. And would do so again in the future if my wife and I move or want a change of home decor. And that doesn't include my Home Theater setup which was considerably higher. Some folks would never consider spending what I have on such items. Just like I wouldn't consider spending on a watch.
It all comes down to two words "personal preference". And at the end of the day, it's what makes us all unique.

Again, it's YOUR hard earned ca$h! Spend it how you see fit and enjoy your investment.

I like how for the most part, this thread has not been a 'pissing contest or flame fest'. Just us grown men, discussing our opinions and fondness for certain things.
Where are the women at?
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13610.00
      01-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #674
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Where are the women at?
That's by default!
      01-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #675
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Fake watch,why? When you could buy a automatic, good quality watch for under $300. Seiko, and Tissot are a couple.
Appreciate 1
WIKDF80292.50
      03-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #676
Ownnij
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

i like seiko watches but their movement isn't exactly great. A good 3135 clone is even better for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:30 AM   #677
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Yes it matters... It's illegal to own and you could be heavily fined by customs for bringing in counterfeits of anything.

Last edited by ocN55; 04-03-2019 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #678
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Yes it matters... It's illegal to own and you could be heavily fined by customs for bringing in counterfeits of anything.
not illegal to own or buy.

illegal to sell or import

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #679
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
If you're out to dinner on a Friday evening... standing at the bar to order your second drink... and your Rolex is going tik-tok... IT MATTERS!

This is why I haven't gotten into expensive watches, yet.

Do it right or don't play.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #680
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
If you're out to dinner on a Friday evening... standing at the bar to order your second drink... and your Rolex is going tik-tok... IT MATTERS!

This is why I haven't gotten into expensive watches, yet.

Do it right or don't play.
Agree.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #681
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownnij View Post
i like seiko watches but their movement isn't exactly great. A good 3135 clone is even better for the same price.
The question is, who can service a 3135 clone? Most of these movements are in high end replicas and most watchmakers won't touch them.

I've had to service my 2836 ETA clones and they've been easy to service as parts and knowledge is common for the movement.
      04-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #682
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

People have to remember that "expensive" watches is relative.

There are different types of buyers for these watches.

People who can throw $15k at a watch like regular people throw money at frivolous things like eating out.

People who save their money to achieve some fulfillment by purchasing something that will set them apart from many others in their parallel financial situation

People who need likes on their instagram to fulfill some insecurity about other issues in their life.

When I was younger, I wanted a nice watch. I felt that it would fulfill something within that I felt was lacking. At the end of the day, I am just not really a watch person.

Funny thing is that when purchasing a used expensive watch, cost of ownership if one were to resell, would probably be less than the depreciation on a Chevy Sonic. People would applaud me for buying a Chevy Sonic new, but the moment I buy a Rolex, I'd hear it left and right.
Appreciate 0